iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Power outage well pump solution

Started by DMcCoy, November 21, 2014, 08:25:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul_H

We replaced our other wood stove with this a year and a half ago and it heats the whole house and our food too. It burns around 4-5  cord a year and the furnace hasn't been on since. Most cooking is done with it between oct- april
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Walnut Beast

PoginyHill

I am very lucky to have bought a farmhouse that has a gravity-fed spring (not sure when spring was plumbed in, but house is circa 1875). Spring is about 2,500 ft away and feeds into a 250gal tank in our basement. Shallow well pump & pressure tank in the basement is only to provide pressure for the house. I run excess water into the field during winter so line does not freeze. Had that happen once before I began the trickle one fall.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

Paul_H

Our neighbour two doors over has a spring with all the water he needs and it sounds like a similar system to yours. It would be great to have a similar system.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Will.K

In Maiden Spring in Tazewell County VA, a 100-year-old ram pump supplied water to the farm above, probably over 1500 feet distant and 100 feet higher in elevation. As of a few years ago this pump was still running. No electricity, only hydraulic pressure from the large karst spring.

SwampDonkey

The old spring I mentioned provided water at my grandparents house, and watered the cattle in the barn. My cousin later used it up until 2003 I think and then drilled a well. It would go dry some summers. But the next place down was all on springs and never went dry. Great grandfathers had a cistern for capturing rain water in the basement. There were lots of houses up here with cisterns. Up the road a mile was an old place, house was gone when I was a kid, we used to stop at the spring house when bicycling up there. We'd be coming and going from trout fishing. Cousin tore it out. Wasn't thinking straight, that one. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

We had a couple springs we got water at on the farm when working in the fields, they'd be off in the woods a couple steps.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mudfarmer

We've bought some pumps from these folks in Maine and have been very happy NEMO SOLAR DC SUBMERSIBLE WELL PUMPS ? Affordable USA Made Solar water pumps -- using submersible in a well and another in a spring box and one surface pump fed by gravity from a spring. So far have powered them with solar panels (get a low voltage disconnect if doing this) and off vehicle batteries. Right now with the well for the livestock when we go there in the morning and evening we connect via jumper cables to whatever we drove there, tractor, UTV, car, truck and let water pump while doling out the feed. Just another option to consider if you need water but don't have the cash for a bison or simplepump.

Edvantage

I installed this on my well. Pumping from 40 feet. When power is out I cap spout and connect garden hose from check valve I installed on pump to my outside faucet. This allows me to fill my pressure tank and take showers or whatever I need. Water heater is propane no electricity required. New house has flowing well about 3000 gallons per day. Hope to use overflow to raise trout.

Thank You Sponsors!