iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

24 volt thermostat to circulation pump

Started by bigD, November 30, 2020, 11:41:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigD

I have a central boiler wood boiler. I have radiant floor heat in my shop. I have the circulation pump on the boiler that runs 24/7 and then I have a pump in my shop that is controlled by the thermostat. I want to make both pumps come on when the thermostat calls for heat. I know i need to get a 24 volt transformer and relay but looking on advice to hook it up. I live in southeast Missouri so I'm not worried about the lines freezing.

Gary_C

I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish but the circulation pump on the Central boiler must run 24/7 when the stove is fired to prevent hot spots in the water jacket. That hot water flow must recirculate continuously. You would normally control one zone of heat demand with a three way valve which would either divert the hot water thru a heat zone loop or bypass the flow directly back to the OWB. The only reason for a second pump is if flow is reduced because of distance or other flow restrictions in the water. You could use a pump to boost flow in the heat zone but normally it would be used with a three way valve.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Al_Smith

I have no idea what you are trying to do .However as a general rule to control a higher or lower voltage source you just use a relay .If for example you have a 24 volt source and need to control a 120 volt component  you use a 24 volt relay and visa versa .
You just need to pay attention when wiring it because if you put 120 volts on the coil of a 24 volt relay all the smoke will leak out and it will never work again . ;)

Ventryjr

There are a few options.  They make premade panels for boilers that accept a few 24v thermostats and run the equivalent amount of pumps. Also another cheaper option is to get a contactor from a used a/c unit and use that with thermo/transformer 
-2x belsaw m14s and a Lane circle mill.

Thank You Sponsors!