iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Efficacy of burning out pine stumps with Heterobasidion Root Disease

Started by stumpdaddykane, December 13, 2021, 02:19:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stumpdaddykane

Hey y'all, I'm working some land that has had a history of blowdowns, pine bark beetle, and Heterobasidion Root Disease in Northern WI. l consulted with a Forester and he says that all these variables are playing off each other so he recommends dropping the dead and dying pine to prevent spread to the healthy stuff. This would also mean that all the material would have to be burned on site as it would host the fungus and insect vectors.  

My question is if burning out stumps is effective in your experience compared to getting a stump grinder in there and removing the gridndings. If so, any tips for burning stumps as quickly as possible?  Thanks y'all.
Echo:
-271T
-CS-590
Husky:
-338 XPT
-55 Rancher
Stihl:
-MS 460
-064 AV

Joe Hillmann

I have found the best way to burn stumps is to cut grooves into the top surface with a chainsaw.  Then light a fire on top of the stump.  Once you have coals put a blower on it.

It isnt really efficient
  It can take days to burn out the bulk of it.  And once you are done it can continue burning on it's own for weeks underground.

I once burned one out in the spring and months later a hollow tree next it caught on fire.  I suspect the fire may have been smoldering under ground all that time and eventually worked it's way into the hollow tree.

HemlockKing

Ah yes, I've been burning pine stumps recently, cut a 55 gal drum in half or 3/4 and set it over the stump elevated with rocks a couple inches so it gets good air flow, start a fire in it get it charcoaling good and keep it going until it sinks into the ground. Boring slots into it with saw helps 
A1

Al_Smith

There's an old trick for removing stumps that might work but it takes a while .Sprinkle powdered milk on the stump and wet it down and cover it with a plastic tarp for a week .If conditions are right it should grow mushrooms which in time it will disappear .Might take a few years . Of course a good soaking with diesel fuel makes them burn good .

Thank You Sponsors!