iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Southeastern VA ornamental bush ID

Started by VB-Milling, February 28, 2022, 11:38:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VB-Milling

Originally, we thought it was Prunus laurocerasus (Cherry Laurel), but now we have our doubts.

Whatever it is/was, it was left to grow out of control as a property barrier/separation.  It grew to about 22ft, fast growing, soaking wet (weeps water almost instantly after cut).  I topped it 2 years ago and it grew about 4ft in that period of time.

I have included pics showing it in both summer months and winter months.

We decided we didn't want to constantly trim it and it wasn't really all that ornamental so we just decided yesterday to cut all 6 clusters down.  It was basically like taking down 6 trees.

HM126

ESFted

S.U.N.Y. College of Environmental Science and Forestry '65
Stihl MS661CRM, Stihl MS460,  Stihl MSE 220, Solo 64S, Granberg Alaskan MK-IV CSM
Dreams of a Wm LT70 w/all the accessories

btulloh

The closeups look like privet. Is it blooming now?  Have you seen clusters of little white berries on it in the past?

If it's privet, I would classify it as a menace more than a shrub. Treat a fresh cut stump with some form of triclopyr to get rid of it. Otherwise difficult to control. Must be treated immediately after cutting to be effective.

If it's not privet and you're trying to get rid of it, the cut stump and treat method will work just as well. 
HM126

VB-Milling

Quote from: btulloh on March 02, 2022, 12:47:22 PM
The closeups look like privet. Is it blooming now?  Have you seen clusters of little white berries on it in the past?

If it's privet, I would classify it as a menace more than a shrub. Treat a fresh cut stump with some form of triclopyr to get rid of it. Otherwise difficult to control. Must be treated immediately after cutting to be effective.

If it's not privet and you're trying to get rid of it, the cut stump and treat method will work just as well.
Not a spring bloomer. I think it would bloom early June based on my previous pictures. Definitely a menace.
I'd run the lawn mower by it weekly during spring/summer/fall months and never noticed white berries.
HM126

rusticretreater

Can't determine the variety from the pictures .  It does appear however to be one of the many privet varieties that grow in Virginia.  Many are invasive and imported.

https://www.invasive.org/alien/pubs/midatlantic/privets.htm

You can try the various plant killers or you might try digging it out. Maybe get one of those choker chains and pull 'em out.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

VB-Milling

Appreciate all your replies guys. Thank you.

We went ahead and cut them down and had the stumps ground down 12inches below the surface. I'm sure I'll be chasing growth for a while but the were way too big to pull out. Chemical treatment is our next option although they exist in the drainage swale between my property and the neighbors. When it rains, water sheet flows through this area. Going to make treatment tough. Also going to make establishing grass tough as it may wash out. It'll get plenty of water though if it has time to established roots just like the bushes did!

HM126

beenthere

Hope she doesn't slip and fall on those sharp stubs. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

rusticretreater

Hope you don't see more of the neighbors than you bargained for. :o
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Thank You Sponsors!