iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Remote control gate

Started by Jeff, June 21, 2007, 07:54:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I'll be going back up north soon to work on the bridge we are building to cross a ditch and into our property for the quad. I've been thinking about a barrier or gate to keep other atv's from simply wheeling in there when they see it.   I've come up with an idea, and drew a little animation with photoshop to help explain, and I am wondering if ya'll might not give me some input on whether you think it will work or not.  I want it to be simple. I'm thinking now this is what I need to build this. A remote control 12 volt d.c. switch. (I bought one on ebay today for $11.95)

A 12 volt motor, possible a windshield wiper motor. A 12 volt garden tractor battery and one of those little solar 12 volt battery trickle chargers.  I would make the frame from cedar, and the cam on the motor, out of something or other. I think if the gate is either counter weighted or spring loaded on the pivot end, the motor will need very little power to open the gate. My reason for coming upo with this configuration is to simplify the components. If I can make the gate open and close by having the motor only turn in a single direction it eliminated the need for a reverse on the motor and or the remote. You simpy start it, then stop it when it gets to the top. Start it again to continue the cycle to close, then stop it again.
Whatdaya think?

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Steve

8)Hey Jeff-- I think it is a clever design . To me it seems that the counter weight or spring loading is the key. How you going to fabricate the cam?

Steve
Steve
Hawaiian Hardwoods Direct
www.curlykoa.com

Jeff

I guess it depends on what I end up with as a motor.  :)  I'm thinking the Cam needs to be pretty good size, so I may disguise it.  :)

isawlogs

Kewl .. You could also use an electric window opener froma car ... youget forward and reverse if need be . A wiper motor is strong too ....  I have visions for that cam ...  :P :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Nailhead

Jeff
Instead of the cam on the gate, think about using a drag link. This way you can adjust the "throw" by changing the location of the link, both on the gate arm and on the motor disc. Think of the way the old locomotive's connected  to the drive wheels. The motor could be located below the cross arm.
"The Constitution does not grant rights, it recognizes them."

Jeff

Gotcha.  Much easier!  Thanks Pat!

thecfarm

Sounds good.Give some thought on hiding the battery and what ever else might be kinda out in the open.Some people like to remove items that don't belong to them.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

Yep hiding will be part of the plan. Just in case someone decides to play, Maybe I should add a capacitor into the mix eh?

WDH

Add some remote control african bees for those who don't respect the gate ;).

That looks real slick.  I would have never thought of that because I have too much wood on the brain :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sawguy21

Is there enough cover to keep 'unauthorized personnel' from simply driving around it?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Jeff

I'm going to build it right at the end of the bridge, and the bridge is over a ditch and there are trees on either side, one side quite close and the other side, maybe 3 or 4 feet away so it ?shouldnt? be a problem.  This is where it will go.

I have some pressure treated blocks I am going to place under the spruce poles.

beenthere

Jeff
Just thinkin, maybe a drawbridge, that you raise when you leave (using the winch on the quad) and lower when you return to use the trail (again, using the winch on the quad, or gravity and counterbalance).

I am assuming the ditch is deep and not easy to get around (through) without the bridge, or the trees are too close to make it from the road to the trail without the bridge crossing (ie trespassers who will skirt around the crossing and gate).

I guess I am missing why a remote is needed (although I do like them to get the garage door up and down  :) ).  I tend to think too many curious and mischievious minds will investigate the gate if there is a bridge to easily cross. Then may fool with your clever gate opener/closer and cause you grief.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

submarinesailor

Jeff,

I hope you just thinking out load about the capacitor. 
Quote from: Jeff B on June 22, 2007, 08:28:22 AM
Yep hiding will be part of the plan. Just in case someone decides to play, Maybe I should add a capacitor into the mix eh?
There's a big liability issue here.

AND - I remember when they tried to put me under the jail after I did it to an English teacher in high school.  They couldn't absolutely prove it was me is the only reason I'm not still under it.

Bruce

sawguy21

:D :D :D :D Those were fun.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

sawdust

Jeff,we have those cattle crossing pipe bridges, they can pivot up. This effectively leaves a wall of pipe and a trench on whichever side you want. Using a counter balance you could still pivot it easily enough.

sawdust

comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

KGNC

Jeff:
It's hard to find a inexpense motor geared slow enough for what your are doing. With a cam or a crank you are only using about 1/2 of a rotation to raise the gate. If you find a motor geared to 30 RPM that's 1 second to raise the gate. You are going to have to be pretty quick on the button to get it stopped at the right place.
Something that I have seen that works well for that type of motion would be to set up a short loop of roller chain with a drive and idler sprocket mounted vertically. You would have an attachment on the chain that is attached to the crank arm. Depending on your drive sprocket size and the length of chain you can set up whatever speed you need.
I can draw it out but I don't have any cool software to put it into a jpg.

stonebroke

Jeff

Do you really need a remote control gate? On the right of ways in NY most people put a metal farm gate up and don't even lock it. This signifies that you don't want the general public to come on your land but it allows the power company access.

Stonebroke

Dave Shepard

Surplus Center has electric (12vdc) actuators that might be better suited to this application, I don't remeber the cost though.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jeff

Quote from: stonebroke on June 25, 2007, 04:18:47 PM
Jeff

Do you really need a remote control gate? On the right of ways in NY most people put a metal farm gate up and don't even lock it. This signifies that you don't want the general public to come on your land but it allows the power company access.

Stonebroke

;D   Nope, I sure don't need one other then for the "cool" factor. :D

Mooseherder

How are Convertible Top motors geared ???

Jeff

I found a motor for my gate.  Its a 12 volt 6 RPM gear reduction used in moving big tractor mirrors. I've almost got everything collected that I need to try to make this work next time I go North.

Here is what it will be opening and closing.

Jeff

THe Cedar tree in the photo is leaning towards the camera and the gate bar pivots on a lag bolt that goes into the tree. There should be plenty of room to hide the hardware behind the trees and the gate should look just like a cedar post crossing it.

Jeff

Well, looks like my 12 volt remote switch is defective. :-\   Hopefully they will let me return it for a replacement.

pigman

Quote...... a lag bolt that goes into the tree.
An old sawyer putting metal in trees.  :o :o ;D

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Jeff

Its not a tree, Its a gate post with roots and foliage and its not metal, its an adjustable threaded ferrous hinge point.

Thank You Sponsors!