iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grizzly GO458 drum sander

Started by Handy Andy, May 22, 2010, 10:42:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Handy Andy

Grizzly has their sale on right now, and I've been thinking about one of these drum sanders, is 18" with open end.  Does anybody have one and could you comment on it?
My name's Jim, I like wood.

RSteiner

I don't have the drum sander so I can't comment on it.  I did buy a Grizzly 10" tavle saw a few years back.   I had to assemble the saw, which was not too difficult.  Adjusting the blade abor assembly to make the saw cut without burning the wood on both crosscut and ripping operations took a little fine tuning.

I think Grizzly makes a decent product at a reasonable price.

Randy
Randy

rph816

I was about 3 seconds from pulling the trigger on one a couple years ago when I saw a 38" woodmaster drum sander on CL for about the same money.  I've used lots of open end sanders (although never the grizzly) and they aren't anything close to the woodmaster.  I would watch for something else.  Woodmaster has 26" and 38" sanders and performax has some good open enders that I think are better.  Just a thought.  

Ryan

Burlkraft

I have a Performax 16 / 32 that I liked so much I just got a 22 / 44   ;D  ;D  ;D

I might be talked in ta selling the 16 / 32
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Handy Andy

I'm in Kansas, shipping might be a pain, but worth considering.
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Burlkraft

I could bring it to the pig roast  ;D  ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Ironwood

The older versions of the "captive" units (not open ended) where,...marginal from what heard. I think they may have redesigned those but I would tread lightly on that one.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

stumpy

Now you guys got me worried.  I just bought a like new(no really other than some sawdust, it looks new) Grizzley 24" dual drum sander.  They are about $1800 in the catalogue plus shipping.  I got it for $800.  I hope it was a good deal ???
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

ljmathias

Sounds like a bad deal all the way around.  Your only hope is to box it up and let me come get it so you won't suffer any more worrying about whether it's a good deal or not- I'm old enough that I'm willing to endure the humiliation so I'm willing to help you are this one time (or maybe more if you find yourself in a similar situation again- just keep me posted).  8) 8)

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

5quarter

LJ forgot to mention that you need to call right now...operators are standing by. ;D ;D
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

ljmathias

well, never thought of myself as an operator, but I am standing by... or rather sitting and waiting anxiously.  You don't get a chance to help your fellow man and forum member like this everyday and I'm ready to jump in and do my best. :D  Oh, and I really would like one of those drum sanders- just bought the Steel City $500 "helical" planer and while it's not what I expected in terms of the number of carbide squares it has, it works fantastic.  Been smoothing out and sizing some cedar for Adirondack chairs I'm putting together and the pieces just zip through.  Only problem is that it works so well, there's a tendency to just hog off the bad stuff rather than smoothing it down nice and easy.  I hate it when a tool works too well. :)

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

terrifictimbersllc

In June I cut an oak for a customer who had a very nice small shop and wood storage area and a number of in progress and finished projects.  I did a double take when I saw his chess boards which were fabulous.  End grain woods sanded on his Jet 16-32 Plus drum sander.  He said it was made by Powermax and Jet bought them out. (for this one he said Jet and Powermax models were identical). He said the Jet has the drum moving up and down not the table which makes using infeed and outfeed support much easier.  He evaluated others from Delta, Grizzly, and Craftsman before getting the Jet.  He got it at tools plus in waterbury ct for $850.  He liked the next higher model but that one was over $2000.  Anyway I was so impressed I might get the same one.   
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!