iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

air compressor

Started by bedway, November 28, 2013, 12:17:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bedway

First off happy gobble day youall.

Now my question. I have a pieced together older compressor was given to me im going to use as a back up unit. It pumps up to 100 psi and shuts off. By the next day its down to 60 psi. Being it has a older smaller pump it takes extra time to recharge itself. Evidently theres a leak somewhere. Any good ideas to locate the air leak?

Fla._Deadheader

Soapy water on every joint and then the tank. Be careful the tank does not have a small hole starting on the bottom side, from lack of draining water. It will rupture and cause serious damage. I allow mine to have a constant small leak, at the drain,so it drains. I just plug in when I need air.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Al_Smith

A rusted bottom is typical of most of them with any age to them including the one in my garage .

Chuck White

Mine is set like Fla.Deadheader mentioned, just ever so slightly open the drain valve on the bottom of the tank and that will continually let out the moisture, but unfortunately it also lets out the pressure.

Some tanks have an expiration date stamped in them.  It indicates the date that the tank has served it's purpose.  Dispose of them and get a new one, but by all means be careful when messing with air tanks!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Al_Smith

They have a date stamp when made but I've never seen an expiration date on any of them .

Autocar

Learn something new I never gave it much thought about one blowing up,mine has a hole rusted in the bottom and I pluged it so I could get her pumped up to two hundred pounds. Now you have me wondering about it now  :o.
Bill

beenthere

Neighbor farmer thought he heard his compressor tank leaking and reached down under the tank to see if he could feel any air coming out. Just when he did that, the tank erupted and blew one hand apart - literally.

He had rods and wires and a lot of restructuring to get it put back together in some semblance of a hand. Does have pretty good use of it now, but it took several months or more to get use of his right hand back.

Still touchy with a hand shake. But simply amazing what the doctors can do putting things back together these days.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Chuck White

Quote from: Al_Smith on November 28, 2013, 02:00:31 PM
They have a date stamp when made but I've never seen an expiration date on any of them .

Correct Al, date of manufacture on the air compressor.   :-X

My mistake.

However, I do have a portable air tank and that does have a "dispose of" date on it!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Do not forget that it could be leaking back through the check valve between the compressor and the tank.  You will not find that with soapy water unless you crack or disconnect the line at the compressor.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Al_Smith

I've welded up leakers .Keep in mind I once carried HP pipe certification .I wasn't always an electrician .I never forgot how to weld though .

RCBS

Quote from: Magicman on November 28, 2013, 05:38:00 PM
Do not forget that it could be leaking back through the check valve between the compressor and the tank.  You will not find that with soapy water unless you crack or disconnect the line at the compressor.

Good advice.  Sold a lot of check valves when I worked in a repair shop.

As stated above, air tanks ain't nothing to fool with when they rupture.
Echo CS-3400, 550xp, Jonsered 2166, L3130 Kubota, '78 JD 300 backhoe, Kubota RTV900, JD2305, lots of sharp stuff and several firearms

sandhills

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but I think if you figure how many square inches are in your tank you then multiply that by your psi and you get the "explosion force" when it lets go  :o.  All I know is NEVER use compressed air to remove the ram from a hydraulic cylinder!!!!  I still have my right hand but don't know why  stupid_smiley.

easymoney

my 5 hp 100 gallon air compressor and tank was made in 1953. should i send it to the crusher and buy a new compressor? it leaks down considerably at night.

Magicman

I wouldn't.  Read Reply #8.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

coxy

Quote from: sandhills on November 29, 2013, 10:44:16 AM
Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but I think if you figure how many square inches are in your tank you then multiply that by your psi and you get the "explosion force" when it lets go  :o.  All I know is NEVER use compressed air to remove the ram from a hydraulic cylinder!!!!  I still have my right hand but don't know why  stupid_smiley.
yep learn d the hard way piston hole still in the wall :o

Al_Smith

It's not what you do it's how you do it .What you don't do is put 100 PSI  of air on a cylinder with the end open .I've popped them using a restricted pressure  22 PSI blow gun .

Something like a blind end brake wheel cylinder on old Ford dump trucks you won't shake them even with 100 PSI .I takes some hydraulic pressure like a grease gun full of oil to pop a stuck one .Then of course you have to rebuild it .

Thank You Sponsors!