The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Bio char  (Read 1976 times)

Offline brianJ

• Only get excersize if I choose the right hobby
    • Share Post
Re: Bio char
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2022, 10:12:33 PM »

That is kind of how I cook syrup.  I get a much faster boil if I keep adding fresh wood, but charcoal builds up and doesnt burn fast enough to allow me to keep a good boil so every so often I shovel charcoal out the back so I can put more wood in the front.
I throw the charcoal in a barrel of water then dump a few barrels of it where the new compost pile will be for the year.  My hope is the charcoal holds on to any nutrients that would otherwise leak out of the pile.  After a few years of rotting the pile, charcoal and all, gets spread on the garden.
That is a great system

Offline Joe Hillmann

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2022, 12:10:14 PM »
I have also thought that if a person heats with wood and has a use for charcoal a stove with two chambers sharing one chimney could be used to provide heat and charcoal.

My idea is each chamber would be able to be sealed to be almost air tight.  A fire would be lit in one, and once it is down to coals it would be closed up so air can't get in but some air can still get out through the chimney and the fire gets choked out.  The next day while that one is cooling down the second chamber is used the same way.  On the third day the first chamber is emptied of its coal and the chamber is refilled with fresh wood.

I think this method would work with an outdoor boiler surrounded with a water jacket or a Russian masonry heater.  Because in both you can burn a hot fire and store the heat for later.  With an outdoor boiler you wouldn't have the mess of the charcoal in the house.

The charcoal could be used for carbon sequestering, bio char,blacksmithing, or to run an engine with a gasifier.  Or you could inject high temp(at atmospheric pressure) steam into the charcoal to create activated charcoal for filtering.

I don't know if such a system would be carbon negative but if you have a use for the charcoal and want the heat it could be a worthwhile system.  Most methods of making charcoal don't utilize the heat which makes this method at least a bit more environmentally friendly.

Offline hickernut

• I have no earthly idea what I'm doing!
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2022, 07:26:05 AM »
Ive not made any Biochar however, this is a really good video on the process and design for a small scale retort. 

Now that I have a sawmill Ive been saving all the clean scraps for biomass and hopefully will be making some Biochar this winter. 
Regards,
Hickernut

Online Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2022, 05:12:00 PM »
I followed that and watched the episode showing his full scale setup, quite impressive. He is using the heat from the process t run a dry kiln and greenhouse.
The future is a foreign country, they will do things differently there - Simon Winchester

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

wireless
Bio Char

Started by red on Alternative methods and solutions

8 Replies
Last post October 21, 2012, 11:19:32 PM
by r.man
xx
pic description limited ot 30 char?

Started by OneWithWood on Technical Support Topics

4 Replies
Last post February 27, 2007, 03:24:07 PM
by ronwood