iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

planting tree's

Started by Randy88, March 08, 2015, 05:23:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randy88

I've been out in the timber the last few days, taking out firewood tree's again and have been really looking at what's left for tree's in the timber, I know I've asked a lot of questions in the past about establishing red oak tree's, and we're planning on doing more oak plantings again this spring.   

Are white oaks easier to get going than red oaks, or about the same amount of problems, and cherry, we've planted a few small seedlings a few years ago, maybe a 100 or so, are seedlings better for cherry or just plant seeds, anyone have any suggestions on which has a better survival rate, seedlings or seeds?

bhall

Randy88, in north west PA here I have planted about 100 oaks, mostly varieties of the red. The red oaks like well drained soil & the whites like it more wet. Started some of mine from the acorn, but bought most as seedlings from nurseries. Have been growing oaks for about 40 some years & maybe I am just lucky with most of them. Not sure if you would have this where you are, but now I get most of my seedlings from a nursery connected to the game commission for about 27 cents ea.
and they are from 6" to 18" and very healthy. Good luck, no doubt some one else here will have better advice for you.
Bob
97 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic/Lombardini
Life is good on the Catawba path

mesquite buckeye

Deer think cherries are yummy. The ones that survived from planting 16 years ago are still hiding in the weeds and still little sticks. (central Missouri) :( :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Magicman

My experience is that starting an Oak plantation is a slow go.  My Whites are outgrowing the Reds
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Randy88

Chatted with one of the foresters locally and he told me it was a waste of time to even attempt to plant cherry seeds, none would grow, according to him, the shell on the cherry seed is so hard, it takes a few winters to get them to germinate, or go through an animals digestive system first to get them to grow, the reason he claimed was why so many grow in fence rows, or along field borders.     I'll admit that's a new one for me, never heard that before.   

mesquite buckeye

The birds will plant them if you have some scattered brush for them to sit on. Birds like to sit on the fence wires and make "deposits". ;D

The biggest problem with cherries is to get the deer to leave them alone. :(
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

enigmaT120

I guess birds are planting the wild cherry trees coming up on part of my place.  But I don't see anything stopping me from eating the cherries and planting the seeds anywhere I want.

Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

Clark

SAF Certified Forester

JimBod.

I've had really good luck (so far) with treeetubes.  I use 5 ft tubes.  Lots of deer in my timber.  I buy seedlings from the state forest nursery. 
WM LT 30
Stihl 441 cm, 031av, ms 250, 015.
Case 1840
E 2400

Thank You Sponsors!