iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Felling Wedges, what ones do you guys like.

Started by JOE.G, August 30, 2012, 01:59:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Wentzell

James Arsenault

Quote from: lumberjack48 on September 01, 2012, 12:43:54 PM
Quote from: James Arsenault on August 31, 2012, 10:24:54 PM
When I lay out a cut, I plan the cut according to the general lean of the trees in a section. Simply put, most areas, there will be a general lean to the majority of the trees. Not all, of course, but setting up the cut to take advantage means fewer trees to fight with. If my yard is to the north but a section tends to lean south, I make a swing road to turn the wood, rather than fight every tree over. I don't have time to use wedges on every tree. Remember, I'm talking logging, not tree removal, where the game changes.

Most contrary trees I take over with the skidder, or play dominoes.Occasionally a push pole. Saftey gurus might puke, and it's definitely not a game for beginners.

I think a wedge is a good tool to know how and when to use, but I would find it's use on every tree far to time consuming, and, for me, unneccesary.

Thank you James you saved me some typing.
When i got on a new sale the first think i would do is walk though it to check out the lean of the timber, its just like parting your hair. You want to make sure your working the patch of timber the right way. If your not working with the lean of the trees your not logging, you can't fight with trees an make money. In a good stand of Aspen i could lay down 60 to a 100 trees an hour, it was more fun then going to the fair.
When i pulled on the job and there was a pretty good wind, this changes everything again. The skidder operators and me would plan a new battle strategy for the day, you have to fall with the wind.

UN Hooker i had a wedge justed about like yours on my S8 on till the wife broke it off, i never got it welded back on. That was on my list, to-do-job i never got it done.

Back in 68 when i bought my new TF, i hired a older friend of mine to fall, he was about 50, i was 20. He had did a lot of falling for pole skidders up at International Falls. The first day on the job, i could here him sawing, i headed out with the skidder. When i got there were only about 10 trees on the ground. He had said that he'd be way ahead of me, i asked him where are all the trees, he pointed at a tree that had a saw blaze on it, push that one. I gave it a push an it seemed like trees were never going to stop falling, it was the best dominoes set up i've ever seen.

In the 60's strip cutting, i always cut a long pole for a push pole just in case i had a tree set back on my saw. Again i always worked the strip with the wind and the lean of the trees.
If i did happen to stick my saw bad my dad showed me how to make and use a timber jack. It happed a couple times, i wasn't happy with myself, it was my fault, day dreaming.
If i did have a sky bound one i used to saw an push at the same time, this technique worked very good with smaller trees.

Nothing wrong with using wedges if an when you need to.

Very true with the wind. If possible, I shift to a section of timber the general lean favors the wind when the wind is strong, especially gusty. A strong wind can take some trees over against the lean, but a gusty wind makes it wildly unpredictable. Though when you have one mill ticket for the last load of whatever on the lot and the the wind comes up unfavorable, it's adapt and overcome time. These lean times and mill tickets for only X and Y, but no Z 'til next week or next month, make cut planning a pain.

When I chopped for hire behind someone else's skidder, I would cut a push pole in the morning, and throw it out of the way so if I needed it during the day, I had it. Didn't drag it around, but did try to make sure I had one not too far away. A maple sapling, 15 to 20 feet long and 3-4 inches on the butt, was my favorite. Maple was strong enough to bend only a little and not break. Amazing how large a tree you could push over with that pole caught under a limb or knot double or more a man's height up the tree. Get the tree rocking and one, two, three over it goes.

treefarmer87

i rarely use them but i use the timber savage brand. i use them so i can face all the butts to the skid road to make skidding easier.
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

thecfarm

Hey James,I see you have a birthday. Happy Birthday to you.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

James Arsenault

Ed_K

7 1/2 green flo from Bailey's.Today I cut a double hard maple 14"&16" first one w/o a wedge as it was leaning right (gota get it between the sap lines  ;D )second I wedged,it was back leaning with rot on one side, landed right where the first did.If I didn't it was headed for 3 runs of sap line.Could have used the winch but wedge is faster.
I have 2 blue 12" from WJ Cox my insurance provider that I use on large pine,I don't like stacking,better to cut cookies don't hurt so much  :o .
Ed K

lumberjack48

Ed working alone like you do, in a situation like that. i'd fall the leaner then precut the other one, hook chokes on both, get on the skidder an back in to it.

I worked alone a lot, if the wife wasn't working, i worked alone. I got less done having to watch out for somebody, making sure he went home to his family.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Thank You Sponsors!