iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

starmac

Osage orange would not be the same thing we called horse apples would it?
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Jim_Rogers

I sawed out a nice 6x10x14 white pine rafter today for the timber frame shed being cut here in my sawmill yard. Sorry no picture yet.

Before the last snow storm I folded up the log loader arms to prevent the backhoe from hitting them again. I get too close to the mill last storm and bumped the loader arm a bit, before I could get over there and mark it with my snow shovel:

While trying to fold it up I found the load foot embedded in a puddle of ice. I had to chop it out. After that I found there was a puddle of red fluid in the puddle. I knew that meant I broke a fitting on the loader know as a "fuse".

I had spares on hand and replaced it yesterday. Then I went to lower the the loader and of course that puddle had frozen again. I had to take the chain saw and cut out a spot for the loader foot to sit into so that the tips of the loader arms could be lower then my log bunks and not 12" over them. I got it done and was able to easily load some logs today.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

fishfighter

As it dries, does it stay that high yellow? None in my neck of the woods. :(

Banjo picker

Quote from: starmac on February 10, 2018, 04:53:08 PM

Probably so, as it has a large, kinda nobby fruit about the size of a grape fruit.  Known here as Bo doc.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Chuck White

Jim, if it weren't for bad luck, "you know the rest of the story"   :-\
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

starmac

Quote from: Banjo picker on February 10, 2018, 05:06:00 PM
Quote from: starmac on February 10, 2018, 04:53:08 PM

Probably so, as it has a large, kinda nobby fruit about the size of a grape fruit.  Known here as Bo doc.  Banjo

That would be what we always called horse apples.
I also always heard that you could throw a few of the apples under a house, and it would keep roaches away, may have been an old wives tale.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Treehack

Quote from: Magicman on February 10, 2018, 03:29:38 PM
I wish that we had more Osage......I think.   :P

Your blades don't.  :D
TK 1220, 100+ acres of timber, strong left arm.

Treehack

Quote from: fishfighter on February 10, 2018, 05:02:40 PM
As it dries, does it stay that high yellow? None in my neck of the woods. :(

Turns a nice orange/brown as it dries

Siding on front shows contrast of fresh vs dried
TK 1220, 100+ acres of timber, strong left arm.

Magicman

Yes starmac, Horse Apples.

You show me yours and I'll show you mine Jim.  So much for "good" trackhoe operators.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

paul case

If he was good he would bend it back for you and you would only know because he told you.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Southside

Magicman - you done wore the teeth off your loader arm! Time for dentures!
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

YellowHammer

Osage is beautiful stuff, but we don't get much either but it sells as soon as we put it out in 8/4.
I didn't think it was too bad to saw, about like persimmon, but easier than hickory. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WV Sawmiller

Jim,

That reminds me of the procedure I follow religiously here now in winter - I make sure to leave the loader arms in the raised position at the end of every sawing session. Something I learned here on the FF and started doing last winter. I did have the feet of my mill frozen to the ground a couple of weeks ago and had to chip out 5 of the 6 with a spud bar. The 6th one was on a short 2X8 and it was frozen solid to the ground.

Sorry about the bent arm - are you sure you want to fix it? May work better like it is for short stuff.

YH,

Your description of sawing Osage using persimmon and hickory may be like comparing the taste of a hawk and saying "it tastes a lot like owl."  :D Lots of folks here have never sawed persimmon and maybe a lot never get hickory. I grew up with persimmons everywhere in NW Fla but very few here in WV and none big enough to saw.

I did not get to saw any today but did bring my trailer of WO and a few RO slabs home today in the rain. Got home and found the storm drain across the road was stopped up and flooding my drive and about 1" more would have flooded my log barn. Got out in the cold dark rain in leaky rubber boots and opened the drain (got stopped up with leaves) and got the water flowing again. The county should pay me to do this as I do it several times a year and it is always a big road hazard till I get it fixed. We'll have 6" of water in the road lots of times.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Farm29

Quote from: YellowHammer on February 10, 2018, 07:10:57 PM
Osage is beautiful stuff, but we don't get much either but it sells as soon as we put it out in 8/4.
I didn't think it was too bad to saw, about like persimmon, but easier than hickory. 

What are they using the 8/4 Osage for we have it here if you can find a strait enough log to saw I cut some 16 in persimmon logs a while back  they seemed to cut good but started  to get some wave but a sharp blade fixed that it really was kinda plain mostly whit with only a few black streaks in it we are getting ice here right now loaded some wo logs on my trailer I cut and got about half way home and decided to drop the trailer at a friend's house wasn't worth heading down the hill into the bottoms with that much wieght pushing me
96 lt40 Hyd 24 hp onan
460 rancher

Chuck White

Quote from: Southside logger on February 10, 2018, 06:49:25 PM

No, that's the way the older Wood-Mizers are, they didn't have those gripper teeth on the ends!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

PA_Walnut

Dang! You ruined it for me. MM was elevated to Yoda-status when I thought he had actually worn the teeth off his loader!!  :D

Quote from: Chuck White on February 11, 2018, 06:53:03 AM

No, that's the way the older Wood-Mizers are, they didn't have those gripper teeth on the ends!
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Magicman

It should have gotten "braces" yesterday to straighten it out.  I'll know when I get back to the job site this evening.   ::)

Actually I was confirming coxy's statement about "good equipment operators".  I obviously spoke too soon.   :-\   
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

YellowHammer

Quote from: Farm29 on February 10, 2018, 11:02:50 PM
Quote from: YellowHammer on February 10, 2018, 07:10:57 PM

What are they using the 8/4 Osage for we have it here if you can find a strait enough log to saw I cut some 16 in persimmon logs a while back  they seemed to cut good but started  to get some wave but a sharp blade fixed that it really was kinda plain mostly whit with only a few black streaks in it we are getting ice here right now loaded some wo logs on my trailer I cut and got about half way home and decided to drop the trailer at a friend's house wasn't worth heading down the hill into the bottoms with that much wieght pushing me

The ones we get are pretty big and straight.  We sell them as full length 8/4 live edge slabs, or cut them down and sell them to bowl turners, bow makers, toolmakers, etc.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WV Sawmiller

YH,

Are those slabs in the display rack kiln dried or still air drying? Good looking wood and display rack.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Darrel

Quote from: Chuck White on February 11, 2018, 06:53:03 AM

The new ones have teeth?  What do they do other than hurt your shins when you get too close?
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Magicman

Actually the next time that I get my sawmill close to my welder I am planning to weld some 9/16" nuts or something on the loader arm tips.  Of course I have planned on doing that before but forgot.   ::)

Resonator

Jim, your story in #8414 sounds like a chevy my brother had many years ago. After the 3rd fuel pump he realized the plug and socket electrical connectors to the pump were bad, not the pump.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Brad_bb

Osage Orange, aka Hedge Apple, aka bodark (from the french "bois d'arc," meaning "wood of the bow").
Starts Yellow and quickly turns to this rusty brown(in about a month) if exposed to outdoor ambient humidity etc.  If left outside in the weather or exposed to sun, will get darker and darker.  Kept inside and finish it will stay brown/orange/with may be some yellow for some years). Mulberry does the same. It's yellow when cut, but oxidizes pretty fast. 

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Kbeitz

Chunk of wood from my smoke tree.....

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

78NHTFY

with temps in the mid 40's it felt like Spring!  Spent an hour cleaning up the site (12" snowfall on Thursday), managed to get all necessary equipment started, pushed the mill out of the barn, and sawed up an 18' WP: 8-2x6's, 2-2x4's, and a few 1x's, the last hour under lights.  The LT 40 is back under cover but the lumber is dead stacked on the end of my log deck 'cause I can't get to my sticker piles out back.  All-in-all though, a great way to fight those winter blues....All the best, Rob.

If you have time, you win....

Thank You Sponsors!