iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT 15 extension from Woodmizer or custom made from fabricator?

Started by Piston, June 13, 2013, 10:49:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

I sawed up load of 29' wo last month.  The 16" tips I could pick up with the L48. The 20" tips I winched in front of the mill and used the loading arms and the L48. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

thecfarm

As Philngruvy said that welder will be fine for that project. Now if you was making a woods trailer and wanted to put almost a cord of wood on it,well,that would be a differant story. I use to have one like that,but started to get more and more into toys and needed a bigger one.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Piston

Quote from: thecfarm on June 18, 2013, 10:05:00 PM
I use to have one like that,but started to get more and more into toys and needed a bigger one.
Ya that's my problem Ray.  I really could use a new welder with more "capacity"

I'll give it a go with this welder, I just worry about the heavy weight of huge logs on the mill.  I am careful not to "drop" a log onto the mill, but you can't help it when your turning a large log, it eventually just comes crashing down after being turned far enough. 
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Timberline

If your welder is rated to 1/4" you should be fine.  I welded my headrig with a 105 amp welder that was only supposed to go up to 1/8".  Most of my material was 3/16"!  I wouldn't recommend this, infact, I might have to rebuilt a few pieces now that I have a Hobart 210.  But if your welder says it goes to 1/4" you'll be perfectly fine with 3/16 or 1/4.  If you ever want to upgrade your welder look for a reconditioned Hobart Handler.  I bought my 210 from Amazon last month for $550 free shipping and it was literally new.  I LOVE this welder  8)

Lazyguy

For $50 extra I'd use the 3/16" in a heart beat!

Many years ago my brother-in-law welded up some 2" x 5" x 1/8" stock to hold a small lathe for me.
He did this with a small Miller mig 110 unit. It was supposed to weld up to 5/16" if memory serves.
That bench is strong as HE--!

You should v-grove at joints to help with the penetration.

But, unless you're a Experienced welder. I'd just tack it up and let you're buddy finish it with his equipment.
You can swap favors, later.

A 30" log's HEAVY, and you're safety's on the LINE.

Dave S...

Ps: thank's for the welcomes.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Timberline on June 18, 2013, 11:18:43 PM
If your welder is rated to 1/4" you should be fine.  I welded my headrig with a 105 amp welder that was only supposed to go up to 1/8".  Most of my material was 3/16"!  I wouldn't recommend this, infact, I might have to rebuilt a few pieces now that I have a Hobart 210.  But if your welder says it goes to 1/4" you'll be perfectly fine with 3/16 or 1/4.  If you ever want to upgrade your welder look for a reconditioned Hobart Handler.  I bought my 210 from Amazon last month for $550 free shipping and it was literally new.  I LOVE this welder  8)

I like mine too :)

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Piston

How thick can you weld with the Hobart? 

I'd like to upgrade, someday.  ;D
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

thecfarm

Piston,concerned about your welds? Weld 2 scarp pieces together,take a big hammer and whale on the son ,well you know what I mean. If they don't come apart,you are all set.
I brought a Lincoln,uses 220. I have my on a dolly with about 50 of thick and I mean thick wire. It told me in the manual what size. Think I paid $100 for that 10 years ago. I do all my welding outside. I just unwrap what ever amount I need. I built a cabinet right on the dolly. I never finished it,but it has one draw and all my cutting wheels and grinding wheels are on a bolt on the bottom. My clamps are there and eveything I need. If someone pulled in and needed my welder all they would have to do is wheel it out and go. Everything I need is on that dolly. There is also a 110 with 2 outlets with 50 feet of wire on that too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

MotorSeven

Quote from: Piston on June 18, 2013, 11:00:39 PM

Ya that's my problem Ray.  I really could use a new welder with more "capacity"

Well, if that's the case let us spend some of your money for you :D 

Really, sell the smaller one, and get a 210-ish......you will never be sorry you did this. My Millermatic 210 has just been flat out awesome.
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Brad_bb

I bought 4 extensions for my LT15go.  Could I have built them?  Yes.  Could I build them as effeciently as Woodmizer? No.  Do I have the set up table to make sure the cross bars are all at exactly the same height? No.  Would I rather spend my time fabricating extensions or milling, and doing the other things I'm efficient at? The latter.  Would it be cheaper to build them myself?  Probably not.  To be fair, you have to include your time and resources, which I'm not sure most do.  At the value of my time, I probably can't do it cheaper.  But that's not the real question.  Can I do it cheaper at such a savings to make it worth while?  No.  So I bought them. 

Now....If they are not available for a year and you need them sooner, then you have a case to build time in my opinion.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!