iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Treating planter box?

Started by terrifictimbersllc, May 10, 2019, 08:44:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictimbersllc

Got a call a few minutes ago about what might be best to treat planter boxes to make them last longer.  

For flowers.  She wondered if diesel/oil was good.  

Wondering about that and whether maybe just 6 mil plastic.  Photo below. 

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

btulloh

Diesel / oil doesn't go well with plants.  It does make a very effective killer though.  

6 mil Plastic sounds good or she may be able to find plastic trays that will fit.

I'll be curious to see if anyone knows of an effective surface treatment.
HM126

Magicman

Or calk/seal all of the cracks and give it a good solid coating of roofing sealer.  I would want a ~ΒΌ" buildup to insure that no moisture reaches the wood.  There would also have to be drain holes in the bottom.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

caveman

I made one several years ago out of live oak and lined it with tar paper.  the bark has begun to slip but it is still solid.  Had I used a more rot prone wood I am sure it would not have held up as well.

Caveman

bluthum

copper napthenate, maybe 10% is considered fairly safe around growing plants.

Bruno of NH

You could also line it with ice and water shield self sticking membrane
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

terrifictimbersllc

Thanks for all the ideas. You're making me look good!   :)  Sent her the link for her to watch.  

Funny thing, she said she has been a roofer, and will send pix back of what she comes up with.  
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

tule peak timber

I've always been uncomfortable putting water inside of wood (unless it is a wine barrel LOL). Planters need well planned drainage, possibly with a bit of rubble in the bottom so roots don't sit in stale water.Liquid , paint-able, polyurethane sealant is a good choice. Vulkem, Liquid Flex-Seal,L&R liquid rubber, Progard EPDM, all pretty good options to coat the inside of planter boxes.
    Some nice looking planters on this thread that show a potential of extra $$ from slabs and skins..........
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

curved-wood

Surfacing burning : Shou sugi ban ...it is the name for surfacing burning for increasing root resistance. Easy to find info on YouTube. We did some flower boxes using that technique so far so good...time will tell.  In the past I did flower boxes with live edge untreated of any sort. Nice look but not lasting. Live edge has the sap wood which is not very root resistant even with cedar.    I try to stay away as much as possible from chemicals...I have to do my environment share somewhere. 

btulloh

Some good ideas here.  I like Bruno's water shield suggestion.
HM126

Sawmill Man

How would anchorseal work as a moisture barrier if used just on the inside?
"I could have sworn I went over that one with the metal detector".

OffGrid973

Black pond liner with a drain plug cut out in the bottom...make sure the water can feed to this drain area (may need few).   Spar varnish on the outside edges keeps it looking nice, but don't put it inside the planter...good luck.

https://www.lumberjocks.com/topics/7741
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

low_48

Why spend so much time protecting the interior when the outside will be hit with an occasional rain shower, but water from a hose every day? Use it till it rots and then make another one. Window boxes are hell on house paint and siding. The person uses a big shower head on the hose and the siding gets wet everyday. 

doc henderson

made a planter for my wife out of a old spring mech. rocking chair.  took off the springs, mad a box out of locust wood, prob. honey, and lined the inside with fiberglass mat and resin.  she did stencils on the arms and back.  about to put it in the burn pile.  the box is perfect, but outside on the legs and back, every thing is de-laminating.  I will try to get a pic, but is like an inside out boat.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

here are pics of our planter after 4 years of service.  the box is still good, but the old rocker is done.

stencils from hobby lobby, good hubby wifey project. lined with fiberglass cloth and resin from WM auto section.  good as new.  full of dirt water and plants for years.  drain holes in back and bottom.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

low_48

That could have been a chamber pot Doc! LOL
Except for those drain holes!

Thank You Sponsors!