iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

unknown logs

Started by pigman, April 28, 2010, 07:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pigman

A tree service guy brought me these nice logs to saw last week. Can anyone tell me what kind of tree they were from? Please, no one tell me they came from a crooked tree. ;)

Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Tom

The heartwood looks a bit like Hickory but the bark could also fit an old mulberry or even a black willow.  Both of the latter could also have a heartwood configuration like that. 

That's just a guess, cause I don't know. :)

Radar67

It's notsweetgum!  ;D
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

pigman

Radar is correct for sure. I will get a picture of some of the wood tomorrow if I remember.

WDH

If it is elm, it will have noticeable wavy bands in the latewood.  A closer pic of the bark would be nice.  They are a little crooked :) .
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

pigman

QuoteThey are a little crooked
Yes they were, but the boards came out nice and straight. ;D

Ron Wenrich

I'm leaning towards an ornamental elm, either Chinese or Siberian. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Gary_C

It would have to be an elm to be that ugly. You going to make ugly sticks with that wood?  :)

Could be a rock elm. Would make some good handles. Hope you sawed some thicker than one inch.  ;D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

WDH

One man's elm is another man's elm  ;D.

pigman

Some bark and a small scrap board I planed.

metalspinner

That wood looks like elm to me.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Ironwood

I thought elm too, but that bark is odd for elm. Perhaps an upper?

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

WDH

Very elmy as you can see the wavy pattern of the latewood pores in the outer portion of each growth ring.

pigman

A picture of the end grain.

After talking to the tree service guy that brought the logs, Ron is half right. ;)

WDH

Uh oh.  That is not classic elm.  Back to the drawing board.  Is the wood hard like hickory?  It really looks like pecan from the end grain, but that is definitely not pecan bark. 

pigman

The logs sawed about like red oak. Definitely not hickory or pecan.

HOOF-ER

Looks like what I call a red elm. Have some stacked up to saw.
Home built swing mill, 27hp Kawasaki

LeeB

The wood kinda looks like honey locust.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

SwampDonkey

Those upper sections look like a walnut (not black), but butternut is a real possibility. I'm seeing gray and brown interlacing in that sawed section. Looks like a lustre to the end grain shot as well. As far as looking at those rings from that first image, I've seen a number or species show that wavy edge to a ring, including butternut. The waviness of elm is in the late wood poor pattern across the ring, not so much the edge. I think we can rule out any hard elms as the early wood pores are very faint in those species. It's not American elm because the late wood pores are easily visible with their ribbon pattern in that species.

Bob, ya shouldn't wink in these tests cause it tells me you know already. :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Holmes

Could it be chinese chestnut?  Holmes
Think like a farmer.

WDH

By golly, my Dear Holmes, I think that you have got it  8).

pigman

As Sherlock Holmes would say " it is elementary my dear Watson". ;D
The tree service person said it was chinese chestnut, but I never complely trust those guys. ;)

SwampDonkey

There ya  go, I can go with that I suppose. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Absolutely no doubt about it.

Thank You Sponsors!