iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Survivorman

Started by Roxie, September 13, 2007, 10:12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooseherder

Quote from: SwampDonkey on October 21, 2007, 06:10:19 PMI don't even understand the fascination of CBS with all those grisly cop shows.

I don't get the CBS deal up there either. Unfortunately at camp we get 4 stations. PBS, CBS and 2 Canadian channels. One of them is french, the other is pretty good most of the time.
What I don't get about CBS up there is CSI is on EVERY Night! >:(
Don't care for that show at all. We watch PBS or read.

isawlogs

I find that french channel pretty good .  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Mooseherder

Quote from: isawlogs on October 21, 2007, 10:31:12 PM

I find that french channel pretty good .  ;)

Yup, It is better than CSI. ;)

asy

We don't get that show here, how sad...

Sounds like a good episode might be to drop him off at K-Mart and see if he survives. THAT would be something!

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

LOGDOG

I caught a brief bit of Survivorman last night. He finds a gas can -rectangular like the ones lantern fuel comes in. He decides he's going to make a little stove out of it. So he has it on his leg, he sticks the knife into the can and presses the blade downward (towards his thigh) in order to slice through the can! I'm thinking "you moron". That's the fastest way to end up with a knife wound in your upper leg which could be a real gusher. Definitely NOT a good thing in a 'survival situation".

I like Man vs. Wild much better. That fella at least was Special Forces and has some talent.

LOGDOG

beenthere

LOGDOG
They are all actors, following the directions given by the director and script.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

isawlogs

Where is McGiver when he is needed .  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

LOGDOG

He was the best wasn't he?  :)

LOGDOG

Furby

Sorry LogDog not sure how much talent he really has, click on the link:

Quote from: metalspinner on September 13, 2007, 05:20:36 PM
The other survivor man type show on Discovery Channel (with the British host) mysteriously hasn't been on the air since the host was outted as a fake.  He would spend some nights of his "surviving" in five star resorts and such.  On the deserted island show the raft he supposedly built on the island was actually flown in. The builder of the raft is the person that outted that show.   

I found the article...
Link to the Article

The Survivorman Host is a Canadian.  He made mention once of his dislike of killing animals.

I think the biggest part missing from these shows is the psycological awarness that you may actually die because you really are lost.  If these guy's really get into troule I am sure their producers are just a radio call away. ::)

metalspinner

Discovery Channel started airing the Man Versus Wild show again.  There is a very quick disclaimer now at the front of the show about "using local experts when needed." :D  Literally less than 2 seconds. ::)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

LOGDOG

Sighhhh .... what can I say? Where's the spontaneity anymore? I have to say the "man vs. wild" show threw me the other night. For one, he's not alone - camera crew is there. That's a huge advantage in itself. Second, he's trying to spear salmon in Alaska right? He's not having any luck but he says one of the crew had better luck so he ate that salmon. If he were alone he'd have zilch. Then - strictly
for shock value he bites into the back of the salmon repeatedly as if he's a bear. Skin and all. I like salmon as much as the next guy but as long as I've got a knife on my side I'm going to fillet that fish. But hey, that's just me.  :)

LOGDOG

Roxie

McGuyver was a lot of fun....I guess that I'd rather watch an action story, and KNOW that it's produced and fake, than to be lied to about the "reality" of surviving. 
Say when

isawlogs

Yep Roxie , McGiver was a whole bunch of fun to watch . I likedit when he got his two quarters out and linked them to a 12 volt battery and welded some steel up ... yes sir .  :D  At least we knew what we was up against .

Last winter I did a short take for a TV reality thing . Tow people where to * survive * one day and one night out in the northern winter .....  Well those TV reality shows lost me after that one ...  ::) ::) ::)  dats about as close to bull ...  well manure as ya can get .
  The evening they where to spent the night we got them set up in there tent ... they helped ...  while da camera was turnin . I got them a fire going with one match ...  then put it out  ;D ( well deys sapose ta be survivin' ) Once it was dark I was about to pull out when they questioned my leaving and not staying ... " Well hell I got me a bed close to a fire box a waiting for me ... no way in hell am I stupid enough to stay out here if I have that to go to .. You all have a nice night now ya hear " ... Off I was to my cosy bed .  :D :D
  four of um stayed there ...not two like it was supose to be .  I know that they never slepted a longer then a wink ... certainly not after hearing dem wolves calling to da moon ...  ;D :D :D :D :D

Marcel

Fla._Deadheader

Marcel, I can picture you tellin them po' folk, bout the warm bed and a faarbox.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Look on their faces must have been priceless ???  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

SwampDonkey

That's just fall-off-your-chair-laughing funny.  :D :D :D :D

Like grandfather would tell of city folk coming from south of the border to live off the land in that 60's era. They were living off what they were growing, but it wasn't vegetables and deer meat.  :D :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Roxie

Marcel, that's a great story!   :D

Cowboy Bob once offered a unique suggestion for a reality survivor episode.  We were watching "Man vs. Wild" and he reflected that most folks he knew could easily survive most "wild" situations.  BUT, wouldn't it be a great idea to take a genuine country folk and drop em down in the middle of New York City and see how long they last?  CB said, "Just give em two dollars and tell em you'll be back in six days".  That thought genuinely frightened me.   :o
Say when

asy

Rox, that's far tooooo scary to think about :-/

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Thank You Sponsors!