iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lumber Prices

Started by Autocar, November 06, 2012, 08:15:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

When I was running my circle mill and was getting my lumber kiln dried to sell the most at that time was a dollar a bd. ft. on walnut and .75 for everything else. And at the time it worked. Yesturday I got a sale paper from a big box store advertising there lumber prices. Walnut 1x4x4 feet $17.99 Hickory 1x6x8 $15.87 Aspen 1x12x8 $35.55 pretty crazy prices I think. I wonder do any body know how much labor time in sticking and unsticking it takes to get the finish product out the door. Maybe thats a bargian I must be out of touch with the world  ::).
Bill

Sawdust Lover

The box stores focus on the people that are looking for just a few boards. You would not want to go there and buy 300 bf for a kitchen project. They do sell very high quality lumber and get there lumber from high quality logs. Smaller mills sometimes have a harder time finding those good logs therefore our prices are much cheaper. I sell walnut for $3.00 a bf in my area but other mills may get much more depending on the area.

mikeb1079

it can be tough to compare prices against the big box stores.  a better indicator of price in your area is a proper lumberyard or woodworkers supply.  they'll give you a better gauge of what things are selling for.  seems like the small time guys (like me) can usually get around 1/2 of what the going rate is at the lumberyard....give or take.
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I can only speak for my area.

Big Box store prices do not even come into play. Saw timber is a whole different ball game.

Either I call other sawmills in my area or find out from my trusted customers what other mills are charging.

You have to keep up with the rough cut prices to stay competitive.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Ron Wenrich

Retail prices aren't the norm for operating sawmills.  The reason is the size of the market for retail is fairly small compared to the capacity of the mill industry.  Most guys have to sell into a wholesale market in order to keep mills running.  That brings prices way down.

Lumber in a box store is normally S4S and clear.  What happened to the wood that didn't meet those specs and how were they priced?
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Auto Ron and others have brought up some good points and differnces most fulltime sawmillers have to do wholesale to keep cashflow going here in Aust wholsale rates are usually 50% to 40% of the retail rate the timber is getting sold for its ok if you can afford to have stock sitting there and put up with people leafing through racks of timber to buy a couple of sticks  ;) Problems with wholesale is rates and payment terms as they try and will screw you down to just above your production costs and some are rude enough to try and keep you waiting 30/60 or even 90 days for payment

There is another way which is the way i am heading by the looks of it you come in at a reasonable  return somewhere between wholesale and retail on your effort ( Im planing on coming in only 10 to 20% above w/sale n blowing everyone else out of the water on quality and price  smiley_devil :D ) And sell by the pack lot min or house lots only  ;) and I wont be upsetting the Big mills as they dont much around with packlots min tractor trailer loads

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Al_Smith

Well A-Car due to the fact you're pretty close to me the last I heard Seifkers between Delphos and Elida it was between 2.50-3.00 /Bd Ft for oak .Planed ,straight  one side .Walnut and cherry I have no idea .Basswood ,cotton wood of course less .

I'm not sure if Hoge in NewKnoxville sells to the general public or not but they are the largest supplier of bowling alley maple in the USA if not the whole world .

Now a couple years ago a friend of mine got some rough sawn oak for horse stalls from an Amish mill east of Kenton for 45 cents a Bd Ft .

Thank You Sponsors!