iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

air hose repair???

Started by shinnlinger, July 06, 2010, 08:15:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shinnlinger

Hi,

I have tried barb couplings with hose clamps to repair air hose in the past, but they have always leaked.  I wonder if pex style crimps would work with 1/2 hose, but the other day my nail gun fell off the ladder and pinched a hole in my 1/4 flexible 100 ft $50 hose and I am wondering if their are hydraulic fittings or something better I can use.  It is 6 feet from the end and I don't mind crimping a new end on and making shorter hose.

Thanks.

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

LeeB

If the barbed fittings are leaking you need to go to the next larger size. You could also use what is called re-usable hydraulic fittings. They don't crimp on but are scewed on insteadwith an inner and an outer part to the fitting and can be use up to 5000psi with the correctly rated fitting so it will easily hold the 120 - 150psi air pressure you will be using.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Magicman

I've taken air hoses to a hydraulic hose shop and had them install a new fitting with a pressed collar.  Couple of bucks well spent.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

shinnlinger

Thanks,

this morning after asking this question, I went our and grabbed two 1/2 hoses from my leaky hose pile and took the hose clamps off and replaced with pex crimps and they work great.  NOthing to snag and one of my couplings was only a short length of pipe. 

I now need to deal with the 1/4 hose/ DOes hydraulic go that small???

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Magicman

Mine does Ox-Acet hoses also.  Those fittings are what they used on my smaller hose.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brad_bb

Definitely just take to hydraulics shop for the best fittings.  Since they crimp and don't leave anything sticking out to catch on, and they are the most secure method, it's the way to go.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Don_Papenburg

I have not seen PEX that small but  I have cut the metal part out of a 3/8 rubber air hose and used a copper sweat fitting over the hose and crimped that . It has held for a good four years now .  You might be able to find a brass or copper ring (or make one ) to crimp over the 1/4 inch line .  I like the crimp better than hose clamps.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

IMERC

Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

trapper

We used that type of reusable fittings when I worked as a pneumatic tool repairman.
Marv
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

PineNut

Be sure and check the hose size. Many hoses are 3/8 inch but the threaded fitting fits 1/4 inch.

nas

All the 1/4" hoses I have ever bought always came with a reusable end as shown in IMERC's link.

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Thank You Sponsors!