iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bench for sharpening/setting

Started by Nealm66, January 08, 2023, 11:06:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nealm66

My blades that I ordered from woodlands have some surface rust, is this bad for the sharpener? I need to build a box for the blades might help. Really liking the idea of an oil spray catching system and how to build the bench to maximize space with it

Nealm66

I started sawing up some lumber today for the new shed being's we had some really nice weather. I'm beat. Even with the tractor, it's a lot of work. I'm still getting things figured out and super slow. Probably 150-200 bd ft ? And I hit another log stop lol Still really enjoying all of it. 

Nealm66

Should I leave the top of the bench wood or should I put something over it like vinyl flooring or something? For the oil mist

Percy

Quote from: Andries on January 09, 2023, 11:08:50 AM
Besides the cart/bench, Managing the oil mist that the sharpener throws up is another important thing to consider.
Many vent the oil mist to outside via a bathroom fart fan, and others have worked up some clever separator ideas. You Tube 'logs to lumber'.
Lol@fartfan
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

MattM

So I scrapped the abs pipe vent/filter idea and did something much easier.

I flipped the exhaust pipe so that it hangs inside the sharpener case. Clamped a piece of scotchbrite into the bottom of it. Filled it full of steel wool (lathe shavings) and put a 4inch supposedly 100cfm fan on the top.

The scotchbrite catches oil and holds the steel wool in. The steel wool catches any oil mist that the scotchbrite misses. Once enough oil is trapped it drips back into the sharpener. No oil makes it past the fan.

With no other modifications this stopped about 85% of the oil mist. After 20 minutes of sharpening it was only noticable on the right hand side of the machine and only within about 1.5 feet of the machine.

I then added 3inch paint brushes to where the blade enters and exits (as seen elsewhere on the forum). This reduced the mist by about 95% total.

The only place a miniscule amount of mist comes from now is the big holes next to the oil tray on the right hand side of the machine. Next time I get a free hour I'm going to make sheet metal plates to seal the openings on both sides. That should get rid of 99% of the oil mist.

LT35HDG25

FactorySeconds

I recently got this thrown together in anticipation of an automated sharpener and an automated setter. The small blade on the table is a blade from an lt40. 

I had this made quite a bit taller than the table the setter will be on (you can see on the left) so I can overlap them and run them at the same time without taking up 2 entire footprints of this size. Table top is 5'x10'. Having it raised to chest height actually made it easier on the back when sharpening manually which was a happy accident.

Stephen1

Sharpening and setting those large blades is a real challenge for space for sure. Good idea on the over lap . I tried doing a few for a 6' mill and I would have to take the machines out of my sharpening room to do those long blades. I now stick to the average blades.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Nealm66

So this is what I ended up with. 2 benches on castor's, the bms250 will roll towards the door and I'll have a fan blowing the mist out the door to some degree (?) I made them same height with a sheet of osb under the bms250 that's easily replaced. One bench is 6'3 x 52" and the other is 5'3"x 52". Now I'm just trying to figure out sharp/dull bands, chains, bars and some shelves.

Thank You Sponsors!