iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Heading to Destin, Fl. Saturday.

Started by Chris Burchfield, October 20, 2011, 07:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Burchfield

Don't have to be back till the next Sunday.  Wife, Mom, Little Sister, Madison and I are going that way.  Condo, 9 or 10 floors up overlooking the Gulf.  We were there last year, nice, real nice.  Getting my fishing gear together.  Went over to Bass Pro for Sabiki jigs.  They were out.  Half Hitch Tackle will have that and a few other needs down there.  I'll be going through withdrawals not having a laptop or Forestry Forum Access.  I'm checking it three or four times a day.  I've tagged the folks down there on Catfish1 for advice and one of the guys at Half Hitch Tackle relating to suggestions and bait.  I have one more day before we leave so I'm getting my fill on FF.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

red

i have heard good things of destin  but i was really surprised to hear it is in central time zone
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

WDH

Chris,

Are you planing to surf fish?  I am heading to Cape Hatteras, NC in two weeks for the annual surf fishing trip.  It is my favorite type of fishing.  No telling what you might catch.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DanG

Chris, did you get my response on Catfish1 about the sand fleas?  I left a couple of sites on there that will have the info you need.  Both of them are great and just as helpful as this place.

I don't know what kind of gear you're taking, but be sure to include a couple of regular ol' everyday spinning rods.  You don't have to fling a half-pound bait out a country mile.  Just tossing a piece of shrimp out 30 feet into the surf will catch fish. ;)

I had thought we might get together while you're down here, but it ain't looking good from this end.  I gotta be gone tomorrow thru Wednesday, then I got some real pressing issues to face around here.  Maybe next year. :'(
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Chris Burchfield

Thanks Dang, for some reason I thought you were way down near Miami.  We'll be about 124 miles apart give or take.  I plan on being on the beach before daylight with coffee in hand.  The rest of the gang won't wake up till 08:30 or shortly there after.  I have four heavy reals, a micro, a fly rod and a 10' cast net.  Just learning to through it after a soak in fabric softener and hanging to dry.  My front yard is short clipped and is easy on the lead weights.  I've had to drain my elbow with a  needle three times and it's ready to have it done again.  I spent the day getting beach chairs, fishing equipment and tackle box ready, along with a trip to the bank for vids..  Emailed Tim @ Half Hitch Tackle in Destin, he said the sand fleas were there but would decline as cool weather sets in.  They have live shrimp and crab for bait there.  I'm partial to recently deceased as their cheaper than live.  Reality is you can buy frozen @ Walmart cheaper than that which is people food.  I saw plenty of ghost crabs last visit at night.  Spent dang near $100 bill on flash lights for Gdaughter (Madison) and every one else.  That included one head set for me, two for whoever and I had to get a color set of ink for our HP printer to print a going to and return trip maps.  I'll go over the FF and Catfish1 before bed.  I know I won't get another fix before returning on the 29th.  Young son and his wife live with us so the house should be here when we get back.  Did I mention, I'll have a camera?  I know how we like pictures on the FF.  Prayers for a safe trip if you have the time.  Thanks guys.

bill m

Chris, Have a good trip. I just got back last night from 2 weeks in Keystone Heights. Great weather this time of year.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Chris Burchfield

Good trip down and back with no problems.  From the bank/beach behind the condo caught three saltwater cats weighing about three pounds each.  From the beach West end of town casting under the bay bridge caught one puffer, one pompeno, several pin fish.  All catch and release, nothing worth pictures.  Weather was excellent 79 to 80°F each day till time to come home.  They had a cold spell come in during the night, blustery wind 20 to 30 mph, not enticing you to the beach so you didn't feel bad leaving.  After a week of good fresh seafood I was tired and ready to get back home.  One night I'd gone to the fish house and picked up three lbs. of good size shrimp.  Stopped by Walmart and picked up some Zatarain's Shrimp & Crab Boil, salt, new potatoes, boiling onions and sweet corn on the cob.  Good groceries for supper that night.  We all ate well, when I weighed in at home yesterday morning, I'd not gained any weight.  That was a surprise.  I wish everyone in the world could eat every day as well as my family does.  I did teach g-daughter Madison to swim with her floaties on.  That was a proud accomplishment.

Madison Burchfield Miss U.S.A. Destin, Florida

Madison in full Glam @ Fudpucker's where she had her picture taken holding a baby Alligator.

WDH

Madison is a real honey! 

Glad that you caught a few fish.  I leave Saturday for a week of surf fishing at Cape Hatteras.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Chris Burchfield

Good luck with the fishing and safe trip.  I caught fish on shrimp from the food section @ Walmart.  It was cheaper than the bait shrimp.   :D :D :D

submarinesailor

"I caught fish on shrimp from the food section @ Walmart.  It was cheaper than the bait shrimp."

Probably smelled just as bad too. :o :o :o :o :o ;D ;D ;D

Bruce

WDH

The preferred bait for red drum is cut menhaden or cut mullet.  I have done well on the bigger drum with a corn cob sized mullet's head. 

Thank You Sponsors!