iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

When should I saw barn battens?

Started by GDinMaine, November 29, 2012, 05:57:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDinMaine

I'm excited, because I got my first job with the mill. I'm going to saw battens for my neighbor's barn. 

I was wondering when would it be the best time to cut them "down to size".  I will saw the 4/4 boards this Fall, but the question is

1. Cut them down to the 1.5" width when the boards are green?

2. Let the boards air dry over the Winter and early Spring and cut the battens then?

Which of these will result in less warping as the wood dries?  They will not be needed until next Spring, so I can choose either one. It is all going to be cut from white pine and the logs are not exactly top quality.   I will probably end up sawing 1500-2000 bf of 4/4 boards and some will be cut into battens.
My neighbor is a super guy.  He is saving some extra logs just for me to practice, instead of sending them to the pulp-mill.  I want to do the best job I can. 
Thanks for your advice
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

jcbrotz

I would advise against 1.5 battens the will do some funny things :'( :-X go atleast 2 inch. Cut the side lumber stack and sticker and resaw to width shortly before needed.
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

Magicman

Definitely let the lumber dry before sawing those stickers battens.  Wow, that is narrow.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

GDinMaine

Thanks guys, I will do what you said. When I helped him finish the other barn we nailed up battens 1.5-2" I don't remember the exact size.  We used a big table saw to rip some when we ran out.  That took a while, but it got the job done. 

WM LT-40HD-D42

bandmiller2

GD,I wouldn't even be afrade of 3" battens.Take some scrap boards and cut 1 1/2",2" and 3" take them over to the barn and let your neighbor decide what looks best.I usally cut 3",a little more protection from the weather. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Brad_S.

I went with 10" boards and 2-1/4" battens and like that look.
+1 on sawing after boards have dried.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

losttheplot

After the boards had dried I put them up, the boards that had the most cup got ripped into battens.
The boards were 8inch and I cut the battens at 2½.

Don't forget to cut the furring strips for under the siding.
DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK !

Chuck White

Most of my customers prefer 3" battens over 10" boards!

Turns out some nice looking stuff!

Lots of the lumber I cut is for farmers or for camps!

Either one will usually use it green or partially air dried!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

I myself like 10 inch boards-4 inch battens,but I'm not the one building it.  ;D

Have fun sawing GD.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

I also agree that you should let the boards dry, then cut the battens unless you have a airplane propeller factory nearby  ;).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

GDinMaine

Thanks a lot for the advice.  I will not cut the battens to width until the work is about to start.  The barn - in true country style - is sheathed with various width boards so it works great. But it looks prettier from a few paces away.  It is quite large, about 30x50 or 30x60.  I suppose my neighbor is going to use similar width to the battens on the other barn that was completed last year.  That is entirely his call.  I'm just happy to help him out and saw the wood.

TheCFarm and Brad_S, Thnks for the pictures.  You guys have some good looking buildings there. 

WDH .... You brought up a very good idea.  May be I could market the "most unique" boards to Chinese aircraft propeller manufacturers.  ......I'm going to make some serious $$$ with this mill, I knew it... :D

WM LT-40HD-D42

47sawdust

For a cleaner look I prefer reverse board and batten.I saw 1/2'' stock on the mill and edge @ 3''.Depending on the width of the siding board to be installed I nail up all my batten strips first on 6,8,10 or12 inch centers then cover with 1'' boards.It is more work and some extra filler strips are needed but I like the smooth finish.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

dboyt

What kind of wood?  I mostly work with oak, and often nail up the battens up the same day I cut down the tree, and let them dry in place.  That way, they're held straight, are less likely to crack when I put a nail in them, and I have one less stack of boards in my yard.  Might be different with softwoods, though.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Solomon

Quote from: Brad_S. on November 29, 2012, 08:28:02 PM

You just showed me what to do with a 40 inch circle blade I have.  Is it ok with you if I copy your Idea making a sign like yours?
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

GDinMaine

Quote from: Solomon on November 30, 2012, 03:09:36 PM
Quote from: Brad_S. on November 29, 2012, 08:28:02 PM

You just showed me what to do with a 40 inch circle blade I have.  Is it ok with you if I copy your Idea making a sign like yours?

Yeah!  I too thought that his sign is great.  May be a closer picture of that?

WM LT-40HD-D42

Brad_S.

I can't take credit for that. I sided the buildings on my watch but I sold the property a few years back and kept land adjacent to it. The new owners had one of the woodworkers on site (it's an industrial arts center with a number of small related businesses, the idea being we could take trees from logs to finished products) fabricate that sign.
I don't see why you couldn't use the idea.
Here is a closer shot. It is hard to tell from this image but it is 3 dimensional.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Thank You Sponsors!