ebay auction to support our forum. Spalted sweetgum doughbowl made by woodbowl

Started by woodbowl, April 16, 2006, 09:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodbowl

It's auction time again! Here is a spalted Sweetgum doughbowl from the deep south. It looks really old fashion because I've done a lot of irregular sanding to produce these effects. It measures 18 1/2" X 9" X 2 1/4". Support our forum and get a nice, one of a kind doughbowl too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9310806246

Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Daren

Nice work, I put in a few bids. I have seen some of your stuff here, and I would like to see it in person. Someone else wants it pretty bad, I kept getting the "bid again loser" message. I didn't get CLOSE to what a handcrafted piece like that is worth before I quit. With 7 days left, maybe it will get there, good luck.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Jeff

Olen, thats a pretty nice photo you did of the bowl. Tom was commenting to me in an email that it looks like something I would have put together, so from that comment I created art from your art.

"An Olen Still life"

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DanG

Y'all just go ahead and bid.  That bowl is my Mama's Mothers Day present. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Brad_S.

Beautiful piece, Woodbowl.  smiley_thumbsup

Jeff's posterized handiwork really brings out the spalting.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

woodbowl

Super imposed spalting! .......  Maybe I can use that technique in the future to spice up some plain jane bowls that just ain't got it.  :D
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Slabs

Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Paschale

Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

beenthere

DanG
Don't you have an alternative gift in mind for dear Mom?  ;D

I sure hope so.  :) ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

scsmith42

Olen - very nice!  Looks like I've got the current "high bid", but that may not last long.

DanG,  I'm sure that you'd be embarrassed if you purchased something "inexpensive" for your Mama's Day gift.  Consequently, I'm just trying to help you out here by bidding this up, so your honey will know how much she means to you...

<grin>

Besides, it's for a good cause.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

DanG

Yep, I'm campaigning for 2 good causes here.  The ForestryForum is a good cause in anybody's book.  Finding a good Mom's Day present for my 85 year old Mother who has everything BUT one of Olen's bowls, is a quest that just cannot be ignored.

BTW, I'm on top right now. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

scsmith42

Uh, you mean that you "were" on top...   8)

hmm, wish I'd known about your 85 year old mother before I just outbid you again... 

Oh well, like we said, it's for a good cause.   ;D ;D ;D

beenthere

Whew!! Dat's hard work gettin to the top. Gonna hava ta rest a bit, and get da piggy bank out.  ;D

Hopin I can make it up der ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

woodbowl

Did I mention that this purdy little bowl is not gold plated?  ::) Those are spalt lines swirling in the grain....... I was thinking about bidding on it myself so I could have one to keep.  ;D ;D

thedeeredude

That's a beauty!  But unfortanately, I have no money. ::)  Woodbowl, maybe you could post a picture tutorial on making those bowls sometime, hint hint.

woodbowl

Quote from: thedeeredude on April 20, 2006, 09:57:43 AM
maybe you could post a picture tutorial on making those bowls sometime, hint hint.

I'm learning with the rest of you.  :D The best info I know is to sand your little heart out. I've never sanded a bowl as much as I've sanded this one. I've always pooped out and said, that's good enough. For once, I decided I would see just how smooth I could get it and boy does it show. I have got to figure a system to do this on all my bowls in the future without turning myself into a dust bunny. All advise and constructive criticism, is most welcome.
    Please keep reading on this other topic:  https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=18686.msg268857#msg268857  and maybe we can all learn a few short cuts.

scsmith42

Man, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that nobody outbids me...  I must admit that I felt pretty guilty about potentially snatching this away from DanG's mama, but he assures me that he has a "plan B"...

Beenthere - you don't want to make it to the top of that hill... it's one of those mountains where every time you think that you're almost there you crest the top only to find that there is another, higher top that pops up that you couldn't see before...  AND there will be other hills to climb that are not as high!

Olen - re bidding,  you can always make another, so why not share the joy?!

Now hopefully I have scared everybody off before this hill reaches Mt. Everest proportions!

DanG

Hell, don't start turnin' pale yet.  We ain't even reached four figures.

Buzz-sawyer

DanG...
I know it dont need to be said.....,BUT you crazier than a pet coon :D :D 8) 8)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

DanG

Buzz-sawyer

HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

woodbowl

The auction is almost over, only one day to go. This has sure been fun watching the bidding go on between friends. It looks like the server bill may get some help this month. Thanks, to the winning bidder for helping to support the Forestry Forum. 

Speaking of the winning bidder, I'm not yet sure who it may be. Just as I think the bid won't go any higher, one of our members surprizes us with a higher bid.

I think I'll start packing up the bowl anyway. If the bidding continues like it has been, I may need to get another box.

I feel like I should include a little something extra with the bowl, but I haven't decided exactly what.  ::)

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

woodbowl

That is a pair! .....  They wear real good, but sawdust seems to get in one more than the other.  :)

Tom