iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Halloween Gumbo

Started by Magicman, October 31, 2012, 07:34:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Tonight we had our traditional Halloween Gumbo.  First you make a rouix.  Then all of the stuff that she knows to add.  I saw celery, onion, chicken, shrimp, sausage, tomato, okra, and maybe other good stuff but I did not take the time to look too closely.

As the pot boils.

Served in a bowl over rice.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Red Clay Hound

You just reminded me of Justin Wilson.  I don't watch many cooking shows but I used to love his show.  He would always say "first you start with a good  rouix", then he would take big swig of red wine.  I can almost smell that gumbo!
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

beenthere

I also enjoyed JW, and here is a vid of him making gumbo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK4umRMJlrs
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

What?  No bat wings and eye of newt?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

samandothers

Looks tasty.  Needs wart of toad.

Magicman

Justin Wilson always came up to our deer camp on Rodney Island and cook and tell stories.  That was in the days before TV and cooking shows, probably around 1955.  I remember how good some of his meals were.

He never hunted, just cooked and had fun doing it.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

"I shore am glad for you to see me." 

He was my favorite.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

LeeB

He made some really hilarios recordings too. A bit on the blue side but funny as all get out.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Magicman

Surely we sinned because we had Gumbo again for lunch today.   food3

thurlow

I make gumbo about onct a month during the Winter;  I do about 99 44/100 per cent of the cooking around here.  Onliest part I didn't like was making the roux, so a few years ago, I went on-line and bought a case of Tony Chachere's Instant Roux (it wasn't available locally);  purists might not like the concept, but I can't tell a bit a difference between how it tastes and that which takes me a half-hour of stirring.  I highly recommed it.............
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Magicman

Magicman

It seems that the pot of Gumbo just gets better.  PatD and I spent the night at the Cabin last night and what's for lunch today....Yup, Gumbo.   food3

I think that I must be sinning.   smiley_devil_trident

sawguy21

DanG, now I am hungry. That looks good.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!