iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Red Pines

Started by gizmo, June 05, 2004, 06:27:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gizmo

I have roughly a 7 acre stand of Mature Red Pines that are strting to topple over. It's like the domino effect. I think this lumber can be used for poles etc. I would have to say they are almost 80 feet with little taper from top to bottom. Are these trees worth anything? It's hard to find a sftwood logger....

Ed_K

Wellcome to the Forestry Forum.
 Count the branches around the tree, if there are less than 7, it will make a pole. They are looking for a mininum of 14" dia at breast height. Or run a tape around to measure 44".
 For sales try.
  3B Timber Co.
 Boonville, NY.
 (315- 942-6580)
       or
 Gardener Hall
    N.H.
 (603- 536-5059) ev
 (603- 726-7231) mill

I have talked with Mr Hall, nice folks. He drove 4 hrs to look at a job I was doing, only to say the trees weren't good quaility.
 I felt bad for wasting his time, but he said no prob. sooner or later I find some good poles, and after he showed me what to look for, I'll call him.
Ed K

Tom

Welcome to the forum, Gizmo. Hope you stick around. :)

gizmo

Thanks for the replies. I'll measure them rascals in a couple days..  The number for the logger you left was from maine. I'm in the southern tier of western NY..

John

Ed_K

Try the "find a logger" on the left side of the page here. Maybe there's one close to you from the forum here.
Ed K

Ron Scott

Check with your local Conservation District Forester or Consulting Forester for information on possible red pine markets in your area. They often have a source for such information.
~Ron

gizmo

I have a  Game Warden that lives a couple miles down the road from my place. I'll see if he can give me any leads as to who buys pine.  I'll be in touch. Thanks again.

Brian_Bailey

gizmo,

Angelica Forest Products in Angelica, NY buys pine.  Maybe they can help you.

Their phone #  585-466-3205

WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

gizmo

Angelica is pretty close to where I am. I'll give a call in the morning and see what they say. Yes the Game Wardens are a different species but I try to stay on good terms with them. Take care

JOHN

Thank You Sponsors!