iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree ID help

Started by Poquo, September 24, 2019, 07:13:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poquo

They're cutting trees around an old house this one I have no idea what it is .

2015 Woodmizer LT40HD26

btulloh

Interesting. Not a native. Looks like juniper of some sort. I like the dreadlocks.  :)

No doubt someone will recognize it. 
HM126

Ianab

Maybe Cryptomeria japonica ?

Japanese Red Cedar. Common as an ornamental, and known as Sugi in Japan. Wood is typical cedar, light and rot resistant. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Poquo

Thanks I've never seen one till today , the tree is about 16 - 18 inches in diameter and straight.
2015 Woodmizer LT40HD26

btulloh

Might as well put it on the sawmill and see what the lumber looks like!  ;D
HM126

Poquo

That's my plan , hopefully it will be cut tomorrow then will see what it looks like . 
2015 Woodmizer LT40HD26

Ianab

Just as an aside, possibly a good thing it's being cut down. They can reach 230 ft tall and 16 ft DBH!!! given enough centuries. We don't have any that big in NZ because they havent been grown here more than 100 years. But some are getting pretty big after that time.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

To get an idea of that size Ian describes, this is a western red cedar. I'm standing in front. ;D

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

I can't see ya!!!   :D    WOW!!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Poquo

The top was cut out today , the center is dark .

2015 Woodmizer LT40HD26

Ianab

Yup, pretty sure that's Sugi now. the dark heartwood and light sapwood are normal for that tree. 

https://www.wood-database.com/sugi/

Poquo

Ended up with 3 nice sections the bottom is 22 inches diameter tapers to 18 inches in 12 feet . Anybody here ever cut this before ? 

2015 Woodmizer LT40HD26

Southside

It's like a cedar and a walnut tree had a baby! 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!