iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Selling green quartersawn oak and FAS lumber

Started by MesquiteSawyer, August 10, 2014, 11:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MesquiteSawyer

Hello everyone. 

I am located in south central Missouri, and I was curious if any of you would share where you unload truckload quantities of FAS red and white oak?  (There are plenty of avenues for the lower grades.)   I have a few buyers for FAS, but the best I have done is still $.25 under the HMR.  Is this about all one can hope for, or can you squeeze a few more nickels out of a board foot? 

Also, I was curious about selling quartersawn oak.  I would rather stare at a beautiful piece of quartered oak than any other kind of wood, but is there some place to sell a few thousand feet of at a time?  I dislike having to deal with many individual customers as it takes a very large amount of time away from all other tasks.  (I know, I know, they are really the most important part of the equation, but sometimes taking less money for large quantities is sooooo much easier.)

I guess to rephrase the question so it is better understood:

"Is there a large corporation that takes truckload quantities of green Q/S oak, and will they pay anything over HMR FAS prices for it?"

beenthere

If you were turning out a truckload of green Q/S oak a day, or even two days, then likely you could interest a buyer. But I feel for anything much less than that production rate, a buyer (large corp. or not) would likely know that some of that Q/S oak sat around getting serious surface drying/checks while accumulating a truckload, and thus wouldn't be a very good deal for them. That would be my suspicion at least.

Green oak lumber needs to be moved quickly to the stickering and air drying stage to avoid drying degrade.

Maybe others are doing this already, and know of buyers.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

red oaks lumber

the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

MesquiteSawyer

Beenthere,

Thank you for the feedback.  There is no way I am interested in that kind of production, nor could I do it.    :-\

I used to sticker and stack my mesquite and let it air dry a year per inch and always had great luck with it.  I know green oak is a whole lot more particular, but I would think once you got it figured out, it would be fairly easy to replicate.

I don't know if it would pay any more for all of the trouble.  I sure would like to hear from anyone that has moved any quartered oak in larger quantities.  (More than a thousand feet at a time)

Anyone ever had any luck selling material to a woodworking supply?

I haven't seen any cabinets made from quartersawn oak, but I bet they would be beautiful!

LaneC

My cabinets are quarter sawn white oak and they are beautiful. I wished I were not technically challenged :D and I would post a picture but they really are pretty.
Man makes plans and God smiles

drobertson

I have dabbled in the small green markets of both white and red oaks.  About all I can say is if you are looking to sell smaller quantities like in the 1000-2000 bdft range, you might start looking for a flooring mill to be an outlet.
the mill I deliver to will accept any amount, it does need separation between red and white oak.  They make no distinction in the grade between q-sawn and plane sawn. Just the clear cutting units in the board.   I usually save back the primo of any board, stack and mover the rest.  And as it has been stressed, proper stickers, and stacking are critical for long term storage, covering the wood, with adequate air flow.  I found out long ago, sticker stacked lumber will bring a lesser grade at the flooring mill,  you have several days of dead stacking before there is an issue,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

dboyt

The stave market is really good right now.  McGinnis (Cuba, MO) is paying $1.50 for good white oak logs.  That's more than I get for milled lumber!  You'll do a lot better selling your oak if you kiln dry it.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

MesquiteSawyer

dboyt and drobertson,

Thank you both for the feedback!  I figured I would unload what I cut at the flooring mills, and hold back some of the better stuff to dry.  I have been seeing that McGinnis was offering quite a bit more than American Stave, and figured I would send any good white oak logs their way.   Dboyt, do you sell your dry oak to hobbyists, or have you got cabinet shops, etc. that you sell to?

Drobertson, I appreciate your input on the stacking and degrade concerning oak.  I cut enough live oak in Texas to realize I had better leave it alone.  It would begin checking almost within minutes of being cut.   I am hoping red and white oak are more forgiving, but I suppose I at least have a market to sell green lumber to, where I had no such place in Texas.  How long can one leave lumber deadstacked if the ends are anchorsealed, or will it make no difference?

LaneC, I would love to see a picture of your cabinets!  Of all the woods out there, quartersawn oak is my favorite!  There is a post in the woodworking section of a guy that made cabinets out of spalted beech that may rate up there among the prettiest cabinets I have ever seen.   My brother is a homebuilder in Texas, and alder is all he ever uses down there for cabinets.  Very pretty, but I bet yours are prettier.

drobertson

If you saw it sticker it, most of the flooring mills dunk the whole bundle in a tank, then air dry for whatever period they are looking for.  Just make sure if you know it will most likely air dried to sticker it close to the ends, and a foot to 18" apart between, with dried stickers!  Weighted down and the top layer covered, unless you have plenty to spare. My top layers are mostly bark free junk that covers the width of the stack.  Weight is important, evenly distributed over the stickers,  bark and rain will cause stain. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

MikePatro

Have any of you in missouri ever sold through McClain Forest Products? I am interested in this topic because i would like to be able to sell all the wood i can cut quicker.
Thanks

Banjo picker

Welcome Mike.  Good to see a young feller interested in the industry.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Thank You Sponsors!