iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Interesting pics of a root bowl

Started by WildDog, August 18, 2011, 07:37:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WildDog

This week I had to go away for work and pulled up for a rest next on the rive bank next to this big old river gum/Eucalyptus. If you look close there is a Coca-Cola bottle in each pic for size comparisson. At the back its  roots are exposed about 8ft high and you can walk in under it. The tree is a lot bigger than it looks in the pics.

If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

thecfarm

Do you think it grew out of a stump of another tree?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WildDog

QuoteDo you think it grew out of a stump of another tree?

Possibly, but last year I was working out west on the Bogan River and there was a lot of these big old guys with the banks washed out around their roots and they looked similar. Eucalypts have a tap root.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

jim king

Some high dollar high figure turning blanks or slicing veneer blocks there.  $$$$$$$

WDH

River gum must be tough to withstand that much root erosion.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

That old tree has a story to tell.   :P   Don't we wish that it could talk.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

shinnlinger

I remember bombing around Eastern Oz a few years ago and in some swamp I saw some really flared out root systems that looked really wild.  I also remember that Coke was very expensive.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

sandhills

About how old would you estimate that tree to be?  Nice pics and thanks for sharing them.

WildDog

QuoteAbout how old would you estimate that tree to be?

I have no idea. I hear that these big eucalypts like the Red Gums and Box trees take a 100yrs to get a hollow suitable for a parrot to nest in. We can't count growth rings in euc's to tell the age, some years you might get 3 rings and others none.

fishpharmer

Impressive root system and tree.   8)

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

WildDog

You can see the couple of dead branches on this big old Yellow Box Eucalypt. They will make hollows for wildlife  down the track. Was going to mill it but decided to give it a reprieve,  I poisoned the Red Gums alongside it. The tree is lucky its out the back and out of sight otherwise I might change my mind. ;)

fishpharmer

The wildlife is already drawn too it. :D
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Thank You Sponsors!