iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Alien Wood???

Started by timberlinetree, August 14, 2012, 09:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberlinetree

I came across this poplar log the other day and have never seen this before. The red goes from the butt of the log, all the way to the top under the bark.... Can anyone tell me what it is from? I thought it was quite interesting.

I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Tree Killer

Is that aspen ? ive seen that in aspen b4.

beenthere

Where is timberlinetree located?

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

lumberjack48

This happens when they quit peeling, it meant our peeling season is over, the bark is sticken back on the tree. Thats what it meant to me when i started seeing pinkish color on the south side of the tree, the growing season is done.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

SwampDonkey

If it was cut awhile and the bark has been damaged, it might be bacteria or yeast growing there eating the sugars. I see a pink color come on a hardwood stump that is fresh cut and sap weeping out. Just fermentation.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

lumberjack48

I could cut a tree down, roll the bark off and it would be pink under the bark. I peeled about 1000 cords every yr.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Maine372

not uncommon in aspen. see it frequently.

timberlinetree

Thanks so much everyone for your input. As for location, we are in southern New England. It was a freshly cut log. Just one quick question... Why do they peel poplars? We don't see that much if ever in this area. I just thought it was something a little different and interesting. Work safe :)
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

thecfarm

I don't know about Lumberjack,but in my area you had to peel all the pulp probably 50 years ago. Than the paper mills started to get debarkers. Was alot of peeling of saw logs too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

I've never seen the pink color is fresh cut aspen, was always chalk white, and if peeled slicker than snot. I am wondering if there is a difference if it's large tooth aspen? The outside of the bark has a pink hue before it becomes furrowed.   ???
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!