iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl ms 500i

Started by DelawhereJoe, July 27, 2018, 06:15:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DelawhereJoe

WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

HolmenTree

Joe, the ways things are going the 500i may just beat the MS462 for availability in North America.

If it does then there will be no need to own a MS462  :)
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

teakwood

Nice saw, but now one has tested those saws yet, so we will see.

the (not) release on the 462 in america really annoys me. Such a well announced saw in europe, game changer saw, far ahead of the competition in weight/power ratios and then it's not available in one of the biggest markets ???, i don't know what the problem is. 
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

HolmenTree

Teakwood, blame it on California :)
EPA regulations is so strict in that state that the ripple effect effects the whole country. Stihl has the huge undertaking of navigating thru this EPA red tape.
What I don't understand is Germany has some of the strictist clean environment regulations in the world.
Just in a different language I guess.

HolmenTree

Just read Trump is going to cut California emission rules......

DelawhereJoe

What would be nice is if the 462 replaced the 441 both on the shelf and for the price and the 500i replaced the 462 for price
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

HolmenTree

Joe, I think I'll just wait for the 500i. I'm having too much fun running my freshly OEM rebuilt first year 066Mag after converting it to a 066/064 hybrid.
I have a narrower profile 064 flywheel and rewind housing on the 066 now . Feels like my 064 again but with an extra 7 cc. Just ordered a 20" Stihl ES light bar for it and took off the heavy dual dogs and put a smooth aluminum bumper on it. It will replace the 562 as my go to saw for now.
Some things just don't get old with age.

outinthewood

Picked up a 500i last night and it got 4/5 lts of run time today in mixed Pine, Fir and Spruce windblow. So first thoughts, it's a good saw very easy to start and good on fuel. The pick up is very fast but for a 80cc saw it's not mindblowing power but it is very good ! If I was still climbing for big section fells it would be fantastic and to be fair on the very rough ground I'm on at present it was welcome. I stand by my first comments a while ago that I felt that it was a bit "cheap" feeling and the starter cover is very open along with the air filter sucking every bit of sawdust it can get (not into the inlet just around the filter) to the point I cleaned it out 4 times today on a short day, the 572 would need a look at the end of the day so just something to be aware of. I'll put up a video later ,outinthewood, to explain things a bit better. So a good saw yes a great saw we will see !!

teakwood

this saw will also needs braking in. I'm cure she will gain more power and will satisfy you
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

outinthewood

Yes Teakwood a good point, it will I'm sure "open" up with a bit more use and as I said a good saw but for 80cc not a blow away deal so far. I think it may be a little deceiving as the very fast acceleration gets you there quick and then it's just "normal" ? One thing I have noticed is that it is not a big torque saw so you have to adjust your cutting style, the new AT on the 572-550 m2 allows a little bit leaning in on the saw and the AT takes it in it's stride. Again not a bad thing just means a little attention to how you handle it and get used to it.

outinthewood

Well a few more days use and I'm getting to like the 500 a bit more , still very wary of the air filter which I just do not think long term is up to the job...I have never been upset by the "flippy" fuel and oil caps which a lot of folk seem to have a problem with but yesterday during a fairly normal wet day I did notice water which had got past the seal of the cap and I had no choice but empty out some fuel rather than take the chance of letting it in with the refill, just not good enough Stihl !! As for starting, again on a normal day of up and down temps it was no better than my 572 or 550 mark 2 i.e. when you would have put the fast idle on for one pull the 500 needed a couple or three pulls. Now bear in mind I am being very critical it is a very good saw and as Teakwood said it will need to bed in which it is doing and is finding it's feet however I think we will be talking about the 461 replacement with inj and the 661 inj replacement and the first foray by Stihl into this avenue will be a footnote ?

HolmenTree

Heard the new MS881 will be introduced next February.
No fuel injection,  has a carb .
Oversized 661??

chep

I have had issues with my 661c with fine dust getting past the filter. Then leading to carb troubles. These are sensitive machines these days...
I got a great tip, take some grease and goop it on the air filter where it meets the saw body. I just use my finger and coat it on. It really helps with the seal and catches all the fines that might get thru otherwise. When you take your filter off the intake area is now spotless and my saws are running great

ehp

or just go with the 462, so far its the cleanest saw I have cut with, air filter hardly ever gets dirty

outinthewood

Well after a few weeks of using the 500i I'm still not sure why Stihl put it in the line up as an 80cc class saw since it's a good saw in fact a very good saw but it would be a game changing saw as a 60cc or 70cc saw. In the 80cc class it's just "good" fast powerful but what else would a 80cc saw be ? Its light build is very useful in rough / brushy ground but unless it has a light bar on it's a dog as I found out when I put a 28" Power match bar on it ! The area around the airfilter is great at gathering up a raft of debris and wet chips just love to fall in around the electrics so we will see long term how it fairs out. I like it and it has a place in the back of the jeep now so it's not that bad ! I've posted a few videos of it working on youtube "outinthewood" .

ehp

still cannot buy one here but I hope soon and if its not any better than the 462 power wise it will go down the road

outinthewood

Have not even seen a 462 never mind used one so no comment, looking at the 500i against my 572  - nearly 10cc less- it's not a massive difference , it's a difference but not mind blowing. It is quicker if you have a lot of delimbing as the 500i is lighter and just loves being flat out but that speed comes with it's own issues, it's a little nose happy and touch it wrong and it will want to bite ! I've found I've changed a little bit limb cutting. I tend to use "pushing" cut with the 572 but with the 500 it's more "pull" which tends to slow me a little if we are going to get really in to seconds ... as near to "cookie" cutting as I get. So a very good saw which I believe is a platform for something much more interesting to come and if Willard has been talking to anyone in Stihl HQ he may have more to share ?  

ehp

I got lots of 462's , I just bought a normal and 2 arctic 462s plus the other 462s I got here  .

FloridaMike

Meanwhile fast forward to April 2020... still no MS 500i on the US shelves or listed in the Stihl professional saws product list (although I see it has been added to the saw chain and bar selection page).  So when will it come to the States?  My piggy bank is full and waiting!
Mike

ehp

nothing here , my dealer keeps checking with Stihl

outinthewood

Don't go spending money before you try one, I stand by my original thoughts it's a good saw but not a mind blowing saw. My one did a few months work and at present is in the USA to have a little work done with the aim of becoming a good 36" saw for the rougher timber I do and with a view to joining my 385/ 390 as they have now done a bit of work. Just because to gets to max fast is not the be all and end all of a work saw.

outinthewood

Chatting to a pal yesterday and ,by all accounts the 500i should be out in the USA dealers during August so would assume that would include CDN dealers ? Stihl have been doing the rounds with the 500 for dealer tech days in the US again I would have thought CDN ones as well ?  

FrantaW

Hello Dave,
I see, you have been using MS 500i for some period of time. I am STIHL man now working in forestry. I have MS 362 and I like it! But thing is the guide rail is too small to cut big trees. So I am thinking to buy MS 462 (45 cm guide rail) or MS 500i (50 cm guide rail). From my point of view 50 cm guide rail seems to better to me. But also investment to MS 500i isnt low, so I wanna be sure that Chain saw is the one! So my question to you. Coud you please post here some complex review of the saw. Mainly I am interesting in if some malfunction during your usage has occured and strong/weak sides of the saw. I know you already have mentioned some in this forum but If you could put everything to one list. Thank you I hope that could help also other loggers not just to me. Thank you Dave.

ehp

we are locked down here pretty good, most saw dealers are not even allowed to be open so any time I need anything I have to place a call to my dealer and he gets what ever I need which doesnot happen very often cause I carry a lot of stuff with me . He checked last time I was there on the 500 and nothing the company had on a date for it to show up

outinthewood

Hi FrantaW, best way to have a look at what I've found wqith the 500 is go to my youtube channel, outinthewood, I cover it there. I have found it to be tougher than I thought build wise but it still seems to want to hoover up any and all sawdust etc to around the filter and although it stays clean inside be careful when removing the filter to clean which will be a couple of times a day that nothing falls in as the intake is very open. 
Ehp, was only guessing about CDN release as that's what the dealer tech guy doing the rounds in Nth Cali had said I'm told ? At the moment I'm sure that could all have changed due to world lockdown !!

Thank You Sponsors!