iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl ms 500i

Started by DelawhereJoe, July 27, 2018, 06:15:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tacotodd

I did notice that in one of the small catalogs that
my Stihl dealer gives out, the MS500i is in it. I did not see it in time to ask him what he would sell that piece for, or if it would ever "go" into his distributors as a good item as of yet. If it does, then I am surprised that FF members have not said anything about it yet. I wonder if we in the U.S. are doing like we have done in the past and are waiting until after the holiday that we are in (Memorial Day) is passed to release to the public this new machine. I am extremely curious as to what everyone's reaction to it is going to be. I'm also curious as to what they're reviews are going to say. MY crystal ball is clouded, but only because I have not been back to ask them more about it. Oh, what the possibilities say. I have not read anything from you fine folks, so for now, I'll just sit back and see what other members say.                  Patiently waiting, Todd.
Trying harder everyday.

ehp

I have heard nothing from my dealer on this saw but I have heard nothing at all from my dealer, I even texted him so I wonder if he is not feeling well or gone on a trip

Riwaka

Harrisons using the 500i on a Cupressus macrocarpa  (a large one is when you are putting in the scarf 20 feet or more up because the butt flare is a bit ugly)
YouTube

Tacotodd

The video is cool but I am curious about North America release now. Any thoughts or ideas. I have not had a reason to go back to the same Stihl dealer that I saw it in their brochure, so I am at a loss for words concerning. Any word yet from Spike60 about any FI Husqvarna's in the future, whether it be right around the corner, or plans for competition type of thing. 

Just curious after all. My crystal ball was dropped on a concrete slab, so it's out of commission. Don't you hate it when stuff like that happens.
Trying harder everyday.

HolmenTree

The 500i are starting to come in to USA Stihl dealers.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

Tacotodd

Willard, I remember that you talked of getting one, did you do it yet?
Trying harder everyday.

HolmenTree

Quote from: Tacotodd on July 09, 2020, 12:41:54 AM
Willard, I remember that you talked of getting one, did you do it yet?
None here in Canada yet, still waiting.
I always rely on my local Stihl dealer when I buy a new saw.
The 500i looks like a great saw and what I hear about them in Australia no complaints.  They've been running them for quite a while now.
Nothing is harder on a saw then Australian heat and their tough wood.

ladylake

Quote from: HolmenTree on July 28, 2018, 06:06:50 PM
Just read Trump is going to cut California emission rules......
Should really give California back to Mexico .  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Spike60

Todd; I don't think Husky is looking at any FI applications as Auto-Tune in it's 3rd or 4th generation is becoming quite refined. Plus the little AT module on the carbs is much lighter than the FI module or "brain" that is in the MS500. Curious what that Stihl part might cost vs some of the AT carb prices. Either way, leaving watery, rusty gas in a saw is a more costly mistake than it used to be. :)

I usually don't follow the Stihl threads, but there's so much different technology in the 500 it's interesting no matter what brand it is. From what I've learned, the lightning acceleration has as much to do with a high idle/high clutch engagement speed as the FI itself. Have no idea why the idle speed needs to be up like that. 

I know they are fighting the same cooling/heat managment battle as Husky or anyone else. Only 2 things to cool a saw, air and fuel. Stihl can be very precise in how much fuel they run through the saw, but from what I understand they are running some extra fuel through the 500 to assist the cooling to the point that it negates the better fuel usage that should result from FI. But heat is bad news for any saw, so it's smart for them to give priority to heat management.

Got a huge air filter on it; another plus. And it's a good looking saw, even through these Husky/Jonsered eyes. 

Would you guys believe that as I'm typing this, I hear a crash outside and large oak top just dropped out of a tree a couple hundred feet from the house. Got me a little project to play with later.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Tacotodd

Go have some fun with your 5 series saws!!!
Trying harder everyday.

HolmenTree

I don't want to speak too soon
 but from reading comments on a Australian site some members are having hot start issues with their new 500i .
Main complaint is the saw takes many pulls on the starter rope to get them going after heating them up.

Spike60

Quote from: Tacotodd on July 11, 2020, 07:08:19 AM
Go have some fun with your 5 series saws!!!
Gonna run old and new Todd. 550M2 and a 49SP. 334T when I'm standing in the middle of the mess. Some springpoles I need to pay attention to. This thing had ants 50+ feet up in the tree!  Apologies for this going off topic guys.
Back to the 500......... :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

nativewolf

stihl service techs have them and are giving a tour and demonstrating.  From everything I hear it is going to be a great replacement for our 462s.  We had two giving us hot start issues today so if the 500i also has this problem I'll not be shocked but at least a bit more power to weight.

I've reserved one, maybe in September. 
Liking Walnut

realzed

Home and bored to death after Hip surgery and roaming Youtube for interesting things to keep entertained, and came across another 500i video by the 2 Swedish Homestead Guys on their take of the 500i. (I didn't note the date of the video - so it may not have been all that recent - but was the second one I have seen on it posted now).
Neat looking unit - but aside from very minor quibbles here and there (I always viewed them as being Husky fans by their comments and nationality..) but what hit me all during the video was that they kept cautioning that this saw was big and powerful and probably too much saw for the average person...
My take on it would be, that if the saw was so very light and powerful for its class - to the point of being even more so than a 462 they kept referring and matching it up against during their usage and related comments - that should be a good thing - right?
Instead they made the saw sound somewhat bad for it - like too much for possibly even a reasonably experienced user..
I'm sure if a saw is as light or lighter than one that is 2 weight and power classes below it - that should make it as safe or manageable as where it fits into the scale of saws generally - and not make it unsafe in any form otherwise..
But, regardless - a neat looking piece and I'd have one in an heartbeat if I thought I could make good use of it!  

John Mc

The Swedish Homestead guys are not playing to a strictly (or even predominantly) "forestry/logging" audience. Keeping that in mind, their recommendation does make sense. It's not a saw you'd recommend for someone going out to buy their first saw, or even a "step up" saw for someone whose only experience has been using a 40cc saw to clean up some limbs after a storm.

... and BTW, if we are talking about the same Swedish Homestead channel, those guys are German, not Swedish (and if I remember correctly, recently moved away from Sweden.)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

kickert

The target audience for the 500i seems pretty obvious when you look at the stats.  It is slightly heavier than the 462, slightly less powerful than the 661, and way more expensive than both.  They are shooting for customer who are pro loggers that appreciate the power of the bigger models but are still weight conscious.  Price also comes into this.  They are looking for folks willing to pay money for the best HP/lb ratio available.  

If you are budget conscious and into power, this isn't for you.  If you are all about power no matter the weight, this isn't for you.  If you are a well funded daily user cutting 25+ DBH trees on the regular who wants a weight advantage... well then let me introduce you to the 500i.

ZeroJunk

Well, I can get one today at employee cost. Still expensive as the dickens.  Would need to sell my MS660 and MS362CM to finance it. I have two 30 inch or so oak trees and one similar hickory to work up as soon as we get the soy beans out from around them.
Need this like another hole in my head.

Tacotodd

ZeroJunk, I would think really hard about your proposal. With my 2018 372xp I'm over halfway there power/weight/displacement wise. Your 660 is rated for more bar length and the 362 is lighter so, in my eyes, your not gaining anything in doing this UNLESS you're pro and need newer and lighter 1 saw for all scenarios. Don't get me wrong, the saw really has my curiosity up but it's not proven yet in my eyes. Stihl needs to get several out for UNDERCOVER beta testing to see just how this model holds up, and I'm talking 100+ in North America alone. Then slowly Stihl would say to those folks "go ahead, tell your coworkers and boss what you have and the pros/cons about it". That would be the 1 thing that would make me jump into a less proven saw.

Sorry. My 2 cents FWIW. Remember, everybody has an opinion and most of them stink... that is mine.
Trying harder everyday.

ZeroJunk

Yeah, I tend to agree with you.

ehp

still no sign of the 500i here , head office for canada does not even want to talk about when it may show up 

ehp

Im hoping Im wrong but was told today to not thinking any 500i are to show up until sometime next year , I would love to run one in these guts Im cutting in right now 

Happysawer

Quote from: outinthewood on September 17, 2019, 12:14:09 PM
Picked up a 500i last night and it got 4/5 lts of run time today in mixed Pine, Fir and Spruce windblow. So first thoughts, it's a good saw very easy to start and good on fuel. The pick up is very fast but for a 80cc saw it's not mindblowing power but it is very good ! If I was still climbing for big section fells it would be fantastic and to be fair on the very rough ground I'm on at present it was welcome. I stand by my first comments a while ago that I felt that it was a bit "cheap" feeling and the starter cover is very open along with the air filter sucking every bit of sawdust it can get (not into the inlet just around the filter) to the point I cleaned it out 4 times today on a short day, the 572 would need a look at the end of the day so just something to be aware of. I'll put up a video later ,outinthewood, to explain things a bit better. So a good saw yes a great saw we will see !!
I watched your video Backinwood and it really gave me a lot of good information, not just about the Stile 500i but how you handle it in really tough dirty conditions.
Every time i view videos of real prople like yourself working in forests, i see things i need to think about, not that i will ever face any of these tough conditions or will i need a 500i but it make me feel safer for seeing how the work gets done.
I thank you for posting your videos.

ehp

So they showed up , couple of my friends up north picked new 500i up a couple days ago so I went to my dealer yesterday at closing time and said what's up , so they phoned Stihl and asked when ours was coming , guy gave us some song and dance and said I'm number 46 on the list when the next bunch of saws come cause we didnot order the saws, I told him he better check his paper work cause I ordered that saw about 18 months ago . Just a line of do do was all he was telling me , kijiji up here has them for sale on it . Kind of makes make go a head and buy a few more huskys 

realzed

From the number of saws you are always buying its pretty hard to imagine any dealer (or Stihl Canada) wouldn't crawl over broken glass to find a way to get one in your hands!
I looked out of curiosity on Kijiji and didn't see any for sale - but I would imagine they would be at a premium price if they were..
Good luck in getting one - I am interested in hearing your impressions of it when you finally do land one..

Thank You Sponsors!