iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My Champion Tree is Dying..It's Dead...New One!

Started by Magicman, July 06, 2012, 09:24:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

My Champion Tree is a Cherrybark Oak and is about 78" diameter.  This old Red Oak has seen many workers pass by during it's easily 100 year reign.

Yup, the main stem has dropped it's leaves.  Chances are that it actually died toward the end of last year and I did not notice it because the smaller branch ends are now falling.

The old trunk has many battle scars from loosing lower limbs.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

clww

That would be a shame. :'( We'll hope for the best.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Autocar

Seems lkie the last number of years we are losing alot of old oak trees,good for my bussiness but still hate to lose such stately trees
Bill

Magicman

This Cherrybark Oak is only a couple of inches smaller.

The tree is in the background.  (Not to be confused with Fishpharmer !)   :D :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

clww

IF (big "if") you take it down, what will you make with some of that wood, Lynn?
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

OneWithWood

You hate to see it happen, but time waits for no man or tree.

I lost a champion sassafrass a few years back.  I swore I would salvage it and recover the lumber.  It is on the back ridge close to the regen opening.  Unfortunately it also sits in the middle of a very productive shroom patch so I have not taken it done.  May be too dangerous to drop it now.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Magicman

As of now, I have no intention of trying to salvage any of it.  Certainly not remove a live limb which just might accelerate it's demise.  Time will tell.  Under no circumstances would I ever consider felling it.

chevytaHOE5674

Everything dies eventually, be it old age or some other factory. Its a shame when it happens. Have some large hemlock trees around here that are slowly dieing off.

But on a positive note there's half a winters firewood in that puppy.  8)

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Magicman

I was gonna axe someone if maybe I could chop away the decay  ???   ;D

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ed_K

It's shame,we're loosing a lot of older hard maples here.People in town want them saved,but what can you do with 175-225 yr old trees.Most have 4"-6" of live cambim and the inside is rotten.
Ed K

Bill Gaiche

To bad MM. There has been a lot of stories told under and about that tree. I believe theres still more to be told. I believe this is her. She has to have something made from her when the time comes for her to live on. bg

[img]

John Woodworth

We're seeing a lot of mixed speicies and seems like Red Cedar hit the hardest here where I live on the west coast, We are getting hammered with Chinese acid rain from their coal use aswell as whatever else they can through in, sure don't see Al Gore worring about it he's to busy de-poluting us.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

Magicman

Bill, I was wondering who took that picture and what it measured. 

That put it at 74" diameter.   ;)

Bill Gaiche

That is the biggest oak that I had ever seen. She may not ever grow another inch by the tape measure but she can give us all a history lesson. If the  time comes you or your son should make some kind of memento out of it for the cabin with a few details about it so your grandkids and theres can see what you have seen. Also a picture of it on the wall. You never know who may like how old and big that old tree was and where it grew. Have a good week sawing. bg

Magicman

My old Champion is steadily loosing dead limbs and in a few years will only be a snag.  I am unwilling to remove a limb to be sawn because that will only hasten it's demise.  :-\  Since it is a "pasture" tree, letting it die is a decision that I can live with.

On the bright side though, there are still a couple of rather healthy limbs that are being fed by the roots on the opposite side from the huge burl/canker.  :)  The old Champion is dying, but it ain't dead yet.

GATreeGrower

I wouldn't call this a champion tree, but it makes a good tree stand :)

terry f

Magicman, how old might that tree be, and how long will it stand as a snag or wildlife tree after it dies?

Magicman

I would say that it is easily 150 years old.  When the roots that are holding them up finally die, they usually fall within a couple of years at best.  There is just so much weight up there that a good wind could tip it over.  If it is overbalanced, then it could go anytime.  When it falls, maybe I can salvage at least a limb because it would be nice to have a lamp or something made from it.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Sadly, the last living limb broke and fell within the past few weeks, so my Champion Tree is officially dead.

The road to the "first" bridge is now blocked.  Maybe next week I can spend some time and clear the limbs.

Many FF members have had their pictures taken at the base of this old tree.  Here is Fishpharmer,  Radar67, DonK, PineNut, & LJMathias.

Another Chickin' Crispin' picture.  Meadows Miller & GF, LeroyC, guest, Leroy's wife Connie, Jonnywood & wife.

And now the trunk only holds up dead snags from the limbs that have died within the past few years.

So now this becomes my Champion Tree shown here with myself and Fishpharmer.  It is also a Cherrybark and I will get a measurement to record it's size.

Matter of fact I can do it tomorrow because I will be getting my 5 year Tree Farm inspection and re-certification then.

WDH

petefrom bearswamp

Too bad Lynn, but "nothing lasts forever but the earth and sky".
I have been watching a good sized American elm on a clients property for 10 years now.
Still alive as of 6 weeks ago.
I measured it once and think it was 65" dbh. but am not positive.
Glad you have a new champion to watch over the next decades.
BTW what is the official name of Cherrybark oak?
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!