iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shipping container for storage of LT40

Started by Bigblazer, November 07, 2019, 10:12:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigblazer

Has anyone ever used a shipping container for storing a LT40?  Looking at the dimensions it looks like a easy fit in a 40' high cube.  Thanks for any advice!
LT40 manual, peg11 single blade edger and 36" chainsaw mill

farmfromkansas

Would 140 degree heat damage your mill?  If so maybe you should consider an insulated container.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

D6c

Would be a good weather tight, mouseproof storage shed.
Only thing I would be careful of is, if it's got a gasoline engine you'll want to remove ALL gasoline from from the mill and run the carb dry.
Gasoline in a closed shipping container is very dangerous.  Gas can evaporate in the closed container and can explode from static electricity or spark from metal door parts. It will ruin your day if you're standing near.  
Google shipping container explosions.
The Hazards of Shipping Containers - YouTube

armechanic

Need to have air vents or it will look like it rained in it.
1989 Lt 40, D6C CAT, Home made wood processer in progress.

D6c

I have a 20 ft container I'm using for temporary storage.  I was concerned about it getting too hot, but with it parked so it's shaded from the afternoon sun by a maple tree, it's stayed plenty cool.
Local guy that has storage units has a couple of containers with spinning roof vents.  He told me they have problem with snow to blowing in.  
Mine has good rubber seals and hasn't had any moisture problems.

Al_Smith

Most of them have vents already .FWIW I have a box fan inside mine which so far no moisture accumulation .This summer even at over 90 degrees it didn't seem much hotter inside that  it was outside .

D6c

Not all containers are same either.... some aren't rated for ocean cargo.  I was told to stay away from Costco containers for one.

frazman

I have the 40' high cube set down on a level limestone base and it's great for storage. I have placed vents at both end wall and one door for extra fresh air. Haven't had any problems but I'm careful in not storing any type of equipment with large fuel tanks or jerrycans because it does get hot in the summer. 

In some areas you are required to get a permit because when it's set down it's considered a building for property taxes or in some cases it's an eyesore for neighbourhoods. Mine is well hidden with no problems...

taylorsmissbeehaven

I have one at work that I store tools and materials in. it gets hot as all get out in the summer with no vents in it. We dont store anything that runs on gas in it. It is weather proof and seems fairly secure. Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

Al_Smith

Quote from: D6c on November 08, 2019, 06:09:48 AM
Not all containers are same either.... some aren't rated for ocean cargo.  I was told to stay away from Costco containers for one.
The one I have is or was Costco .It's a "cargo ready " rating meaning it could still be used for trans ocean shipments .You can find all these ratings on the internet if you want to .The specs plate is still attached which lists manufacture,inspections dates,date of manufacture ,location etc. It might even have the paint code .Kind of like plates you might find on rail road box cars .It's a tad chilly out but Ill walk out and see what it says .Be right back .

Al_Smith

Well that was a brisk walk brr :o.Made by CIMC in China  6-2006 Owned by Florens Container in Panama,leased to Costco .BTW those two companies have merged since then .Capacity 28,000 pounds .Registration number plus inspection number included ,plus empty weight ,around 8,000 pounds .More info but I was freezing my tail off ----back to the house  :laugh:

Bigblazer

Thanks for all the input.  I guess I have some more research to do about venting them before I buy one.
LT40 manual, peg11 single blade edger and 36" chainsaw mill

Al_Smith

There are pages and pages of alterations concerning shipping containers on the internet .Before I bought one I spent a couple of weeks researching where to,what kind,pros and cons etc .There are many ways of ventilation ,wind turbines ,solar powered active fans ,just plain old box fans you plug in which don't use much power etc .You could go "high tech " and install temperature monitors and humidity monitors if you want to .

doc henderson

I have a 8 x 20 that all the side doors open up.  4 doors across the side and 2 on one end.  I have 2 fans and a dehumidifier, but it has not needed to run forever.  I put air dried lumber in there to finish it off like it was inside an airconditioned space.  I do not open it often, once every week or two.  once the humidity is down, it stays down.  no bad smell.   
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Thank You Sponsors!