iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Growing American Chestnuts from Seed - Scorched!

Started by ChestNutter, May 01, 2020, 03:33:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChestNutter

Hey Foresters first time poster here, so please be gentle.

I recently got interested in American Chestnut Restoration. Figured I would get in early learning to grow American Chestnuts, so I joined the TACF and got 4 early blight-resistant seeds in the mail about a month ago.

I started the four seeds in 16 inch soil bags, probably too wide, but deep enough at least for early growth. After a few weeks I had 4 sprouts, and a few leaves popped out soon after.

Here's where I start making mistakes:
1. Moved up to Maine for the summer, brought the chestnuts with me. 
2. Moved chestnuts outside, it got really cold and windy for a few days.
3. Leaves got badly scorched I am guessing from a combination of cold, wind, and sun.
4. All leaves turned brown and fell off, seedlings are 6 - 10 inches tall, and showing no signs of growth.

I've done enough reading now to realize I made many mistakes, too cold too soon, not hardening to outdoor conditions in stages, probably have bags that are too wide.

My questions for you all are about my chances of recovering these young chestnutters.
1. Do you think they have a chance to releaf after getting burned at such a young age?
2. What steps could I take in the next few weeks as temps warm up to give them the best shot at recovering?
3. Other things I did wrong?

Thanks glad to meet'ya
-ChestNutter

petefrom bearswamp

Welcome to the forum.
I am expecting 6 nuts soon to attempt growing some Chestnut too.
No clue if you can revive yours.
I belong to the NY chapter and get info and questions constantly on Facebook from folks.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Tarm

I support the ACF also but frankly I think their seed sale is a scam. It would be better for all of us amateurs if they sold us seedlings instead of seeds. It is hard to get the right sun/temperature/moisture conditions for someone without a greenhouse. For the $75/seed they charge getting a 12" container grown seedling instead is a reasonable expectation.

Thank You Sponsors!