iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl HT75 pole saw--no oil ?

Started by Bobcat_pa, February 23, 2004, 03:52:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobcat_pa

Started it Sunday in prep for spring.  I could not see any oil on the bar & chain.    Took the side cover off, cleaned the bar grove, bar oil holes, area around oil outlet,  etc.   Tried again, but no signs of oil.    I did not take it futher apart, not knowing what I should or should not do.   Suggestions ?    bob

Bobcat_pa

Kevin:
I just saw your response to a post below.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
The gear that drives the oil pump is behind the clutch drum.
There is also a screen that filters dirt before the pump and that may be plugged and required flushing.
Empty the bar oil and flush the tank a couple of times and watch for dirt.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
"screen that filters the dirt"-- How do I get to this on my HT75, assumming it has one.

This pole saw is only a year old, but I will flush the oil tank.  
thanks--bob

Kevin

Bob;
You won't get at it without tearing the saw down.
I would empty the oil tank, fill it with a non flammable cleaning solvent or penetrating fluid, dump it out then fill it again and start the saw letting some solvent work it's way into the pick up tube for about a half minute.
Then dump that and fill it with oil.
I'm not certain of the oil pump on the 75 but it might have a nylon gear.
Don't leave solvent sit in the tank too long, it isn't good for the gaskets,
just a quick flush.

I can't see a saw that new having a plugged up oil system, I would guess it is more likely a failure of the pump.

# For all trimmer, brushcutter, clearing saw, blower, sprayer, vacuum/shredder, hedge trimmer, edger, tree pruner, power sweeper, multi-tool machines, accessory gearbox attachments, boring drill and auger models:

1. Two years from the date of purchase when used for personal, family or household purposes.
   2. One year from date of purchase when used for professional or income producing purposes except rental use.

http://www.stihlusa.com/warranty.html

Rocky_J

I would not recommend putting solvents in the oil because they can harm the saw and will not disolve the sawdust chunks anyway.

Using your Torx drive scrench, remove the two screws holding the oil tank on the saw. Rotate it forward and down to get it off the rubber nipple. Inside the rubber nipple there is a small round piece of screen to catch sawdust chunks. It will be plugged so pull it out and wipe it off. When reassembling, it is easier to put the rubber nipple and screen on the tank, then fitting it into place on the saw head.

This is a 2-3 minute maintenance item which needs to be done whenever the oiler quits working.  :)

Kevin

Thanks Brian.
The solvent won't disolve the sawdust but it will thin the oil holding the sawdust to the screen.
My saws never get any crud in them, I'm very careful when refilling the fuel and the oil.
Never let them sit for long periods with oil or fuel in the tanks.
Do you have a pole saw?
I have a stick pruner but not a motorized pole saw.

Rocky_J

I never really needed to own one, but my dad bought me one for my birthday last year. He still doesn't fully get the 'climbing' thing but the thought was there. I've had plenty of experience running and fixing HT-75's belonging to employers though. I actually have one belonging to a friend in my shed which I need to fix today.

My new one has a different style oil tank with a split case. Only the outer half is plastic, the inside half is the aluminum saw head and there is a rubber seal to keep it from leaking.  The oiler pump and screen are actually inside the tank.

jokers

Hey! Welcome to Forestry Forum Rocky!

Russ

Rocky_J

Thanks for the welcome, guys.

I just finished fixing the oiler on my buddy's HT-75. The filler cap vent was plugged, the screen was plugged and the orifice through the head was plugged. He hasn't had a working oiler on that thing in 9-12 months and I'm sure he won't know how to act.

I made a mistake above. When replacing the oil tank, pull the rubber nipple off the tank and stick it up in the hole in the head. This holds the screen in place and then you just pop the tank nipple into the rubber as you push the tank into place. It sounds worse than it is, very simple when you are looking at it.

Sawyerfortyish

Bobcat the oiler on my 034 stopped working and I just blew a little air pressure back through it and it started working and has been fine ever since. Don't know much about pole saws tho. Try the air pressure then empty the oil tank and flush.

Bobcat_pa

THANKS guys.      I will follow Rocky's steps & should get this working again.   I am very careful refilling gas & fuel.   BUT, on the last work day at my cabin, a couple guys asked to used my pole saw to get the main logging road in shape for deer season.  I find it amazing how some folks just can not grasp the most fundamental items of using equipment.   I no longer permit the guys to use my chain saws.       Quick story.....:  About a year ago, I went to a GOL class.  It was very cold, windy, and snow squalls.  When I arrived, I only checked oil & gas, and never even looked at that bar because I KNEW there was a good sharp chain on my saw.  When it was my turn to demonstrate what I had learned, I started up my saw and attacked the assignment--OAK TREE.   Not much happened..!   Suddenly I was no longer cold, and immediatedly realized that I was never going to cut this thing down !    With the appearance of some minature chips (saw dust), I knew that someone had used my saw (the boys had been cutting some standing dead timber for firewood).    That is WHY no one at the cabin can use my saws again.      bob

tony_marks

i tell u loaning  u best saw is a jinks.. i keep a 295 poulan pro
 for that ..get request from my kids an such..its a good little saw and i can straiten it out ,when its returned. without crying about how my 026  was abused.. dang little ole 295 is tough.. it aint dead yet.. dang thing cuts as fast as my 026.. i use 95vp chain on it,with 16 bar..
 ps .. i better add,,it do vapor lock occasionally..

oldsaw-addict

Thats why I dont loan things to ANYONE, they can ask me to come over and help them out with whatever it is, which is usually better because then theyre not doing something theyre not skilled enough to do or that they should not be doing for other reasons. I'll help cut your fire wood, I'll trim your Christmas tree for you heck I'll even rebuild your tractor engine for you, but I WILL NOT loan my tools for ANY reason with ONE exception I am willing to loan my poulan wildthing chainsaw. thats a little piece of crap anyway, and I just dont care about it if it has an encounter of the wooden kind :D its cheap and EASILY replaceable unlike my jonsered 670 which is pricy and NOT easily replaceable. the moral of the story, dont loan your good tools to anyone for any reason, have a crappy tool of the same or nearly same type on hand for when a friend or neighbor asks to borrow it. I do.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

Bobcat_pa

Thanks everyone, especially Rocky_J.     Disassembled like you said, and the dirt/chips were right there blocking the metal screen.   Bob.

Thank You Sponsors!