iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Disapointing stihl pole saw

Started by edwin dirnbeck, December 10, 2017, 10:33:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edwin dirnbeck

I have a stihl kombi trimmer with quick lock shaft extentions and POLE TRIMMER ATATCHMENT.All are very high quality and expensive. The pole saw could have been superb if Stihl would put their thinking cap on.The biggest problem is the fact that the saw is directly in line with the pole,this makes it almost imposible to get the saw over the top of the branch.My neighbor has a a cheap Chinese sunjoe brand saw that can be rotated to any angle.This allows gravity to work for you and opens up the kerf as you are cutting.My stihl saw forces me to cut the side of the branch and it bindes upTHIS IS JUST PLAIN STUPID.Manual pole saws have had angled blades for 50 years. What were they thinking.Or don't they care. Edwin Dirnbeck

annia

Great saw! Easy assembly, powerful saw and easy to use. Used it right out of the box and loved it. We live on 5 acres with a number of mature trees so I have lots of limbs to cut/maintain. Yes, it's a little more expensive than the other brands but it is worth it. Actually, a little lighter than I thought, even with the telescope feature fully extended. I used it for more than an hour and wasn't really tired. Was surprised by how much stuff was on the ground, and that takes much longer to clean up than to cut down. Buy it, you won't be disappointed.
Annia Palmer

btulloh

I have the top of the line Husky pole saw and the bar does not rotate.  Or it least I don't rotate it.  Never checked.  Undercut from the bottom about 25%.  Just BEFORE the bar binds.  Finish from the top.  Trim the stub.  Cut the branch out away from the tree a ways.  Then make a final trim.

The terms BOTTOM and TOP are sort of relative as you don't cut from the exact bottom or top, but probably 45 degrees from the top or bottom.  Don't stand directly under the limb and cut from the side.  Besides binding you'll end up with sawdust on you and a headache.
HM126

Logger RK

I got a Black & Decker 20volt this summer. Being battery powered I was impressed with it. Just needed it to get some low hanging branches to get trucks in a landing. But it breaks down into 3 pieces that can be strapped on a 4 wheeler. Plus it's the same battery as are weed wacker. But I did see the adjustable bar ones & think that's a good idea

gspren

I have had the Stihl Combi with pole saw attachment for several years and am pleased with it, just have to learn cutting techniques. I recently got the blower attachment and like it better than my hand held blower, more power and with the shoulder strap less tiring.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

DR Buck

I bought the Stihl HT-133 a few months ago.   It is GREAT!.   I replaced a Poulon I've had for the past 10 or 12 years.   This thing is amazing.    All kinds of power and nice long adjustable reach.

https://youtu.be/-ew7gwZiM98

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

sablatnic

Texas-Jim

Im not sure why you think it doesnt cut, it has same head as the ht56 and ht103 and ht133. Used them many times and cut great.
What we do in life echoes through eternity.

deerslayer

I've got the HT101 pole saw and I agree a bit of angle on the head would be useful sometimes. That said, I often use it from rooftops cutting branches more horizontal and it works great for that. I like it overall but if I had to do it over again, I would have just purchased a sectional manual pole saw. I have both. Bought the Marvin pole pruner/saw after the Stihl and use the manual one much more frequently. One of the biggest reasons I use the Stihl less is it's so long, I can't get the topper closed on my GMC truck (6.5' box) with it in there. Hanging out the back is a theft target... The Marvin I can fit even into my small cars.
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

Thank You Sponsors!