iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

American paw paw

Started by bandmiller2, August 23, 2009, 06:38:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

About 10 years ago planted two paws in the yard this is the first year I've seen fruit ,green kidney shaped.How do you tell when their ripe??I can see why they talk of a paw paw patch they seem to send up new trees from the roots.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Ironmower

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but they turn a pale yellow and soften up alittle. The seeds are rather large. If I'm not mistaken, I believe (around here anways) it's about mid september they are startin to drop. maybe someone else will chime in with their vast knowledge.

Just curious bandmiller2, Did you buy the trees or dig them up? Are they planted in "full" sun? How big are they? They seem to favory the "dark" sides of the hollows and understorys by the river. I had one heck of a time tryin' to dig acouple up. One didn't make it, the other I think is going to pull through.

Are going to get enough fruit to make anything?

Thanks and good luck!
WM lt35 hd 950 JD

bandmiller2

Ironmower,thanks for your reply,paws are not native here I bought the small trees from a mail order nursery Gurneys I think.I planted them as an understory tree,near my hybred chestnut trees,they seem to like the shade.I know for a fact they grow from roots of outher paws,and if dug in the wild you would be hard pressed to get enough root for them to survive.What would help is to severly prune back the top when you dig one .Ill watch them and when I see a color change feel them and go from there.Frank C.

woodtroll

Paw paw is ripe when you shake the tree and it falls off. That is a day after the raccoon picks it and eats it. You will want to catch them when they fall off, they are very soft and bruise easy.
Everyone should eat at least one paw paw in their life. Oh yeah don't eat the skin, spit it out, it ruins the flavor.

jim king

You have my interest.  What does the Paw Paw look like up there ?

Here we have Papaya also called Paw Paw.  It is from 6 inches long to 18 inches and 1 to 15 pounds.

They are full of seeds that look like rabbit crap and the leaves are like maple leaves but 12 to 18 inches long.  It grows from seed and is in full production in 9 months.  The taste is like cantalope and is good as fruit or juice.

tyb525

I found one pawpaw tree in our woods a few weeks ago. The leaves were about a foot long ovals that came to a point on the end and a few inches wide. There were 4 fruits on one little stem, but they weren't ripe. A few weeks later, they were gone when I went to check on them.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

WDH

These paw paws were ripe!  Delicious too  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

woodtroll

yum,
Finding paw paw is one thing I miss with my move west.

SPIKER

I have never had them, my sister n law planted some on my place but they either didnt survive or haven't grown enough to produce a leave that I can find.  I want to get some going myself just so I can try one :D  She said they are similar in flavor and consistency as a Banana but as shown look more like a avocado.   they are a lot different than the Papaya which grows halfway around the world and I have had :) :D  PAW PAWS do live around here but are near their northern end of survivability I think.

Mark
8)
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

bandmiller2

Jim King, I've read that paws are in the same family as papaya.I haven't eaten one yet but lived in the Phillipines for two years and have grazed on many papayas,if you eat much you don't want to stray too far from the outhouse.Frank C.

Ironmower

I live about 7 miles from the little town of Paw paw Wv. That's where my 2 boys go to school.
I have a t-shirt from the fair that says: A town so nice, they named it twice. ;D Supposedly George Washington named the area Paw paw bends, for the giant groves of paw paws along the potomac river. This was when a young Washington was a surveyor for Lord Fairfax.

The paw paws are thin around here this year, I guess cuz it rained the whole time they was in bloom. ::)
WM lt35 hd 950 JD

Magicman

Our paw paws grow mostly along shaded creek banks.  The fruit will be green and then ripen, fall off, and be gone if you don't watch closely.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ironmower

I was in another part of my county and found the paw paw trees just loaded. they're growin in double clusters. As of thursday they still aren't ripe. :'(
WM lt35 hd 950 JD

Ironwood

I found my first on a Scouting hike a few weeks ago, it was the only thing that came to my mind as I had never seen this tree up this way (SW Pa.). Thanks for the confirmation. It was up at 1900' on the Chestnut Ridge.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

SwampDonkey

I have never seen one of course up here in the arctic, but they also remind me of a mango. It's exciting enough to find butternuts and hazelnuts in this region.  ;D :D Young folks used to pick sack fulls of hazelnuts to sell road side. It was mainly in the Acadian region.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

bandmiller2

Well the paws just fell off the tree early nov. I put them on the window sill and couple of days soft and delicous,no shortage of large seeds.Wife is from the phillipines says they have a fruit that tasts the same but looks a little differant.Seeds saved and in refer. will plant next spring have my own patch with a little luck and a tailwind.Frank C.

btmsx

Around here, what we call paw paws, look like green softballs and smell like bannaas.

letemgrow

I also recommend that everyone try a paw paw, they are excellent and full of vitamins and minerals!!!!  ;D

Brian Beauchamp

I ate a pawpaw fruit I found several years ago that I had found on our river property here. I brought it home and, since it was a fairly large fruit, I only ate about 50% of it. I have never puked my guts up harder than I did that evening. It got to be painful.

I may plant the tree for wildlife at some point, but I can guarantee I will never eat it again! lol

...just a little 'fyi', y'all. :)

WDH

The ones that I ate were very sweet and digested well  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

bandmiller2

Brian, are you quite sure it was a paw,and was it ripe?if so you must be alergic to them.They have alot of large seeds and should be tasty.checked my wild edible plants book says they don't agree with some folks.Frank C.

Phorester

Wow, WDH, your pucture of a hardhat of paw paws is more than I've seen in my entire career!  They're not a very common tree here, and wildlife usually get them before they're ripe enough for people to eat.  I ate my first and only paw paw in my fortyieth year.  Tasted to me like a barbarcued banana, if you could barbarcue one of those things.  That's also the year I got my first and only obscene phone call.  A momentous occasion, turning 40.

Ironwood

Ones I saw were big, HUGE , and still on the tree. Do they need to fall before you can eat them? Or can you pick them and then ripen at home?

(northerner w/out a clue.) Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

bandmiller2

Ironwood,if their almost mature yet still green you can put them on a windowsill they will ripen in a couple of days.

Ironwood

Thanks wish  had known. Next year!

Ironwood

Thank You Sponsors!