iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

White Pine Log Prices

Started by Horselog, February 06, 2018, 08:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Horselog

What are people getting for white pine sawlogs?  Which scale?

Are there any specialty markets, such as long length, with higher prices?

Let's hear it!
Benjamin Harris
Appalachian Mountains of Virginia
horse_logger@me.com

Don P

Can't help with prices but you might do better with longer lengths with Turman and C&B (off 94 near Galax) for log cabins.

Maine logger88

I usually average 290 to 310 after trucking
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

GAB

Quote from: Maine logger88 on February 06, 2018, 10:28:30 PM
I usually average 290 to 310 after trucking

Do you know what scale is used?
What is the range of the log diameters and lengths?
Thanks,
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Maine logger88

International. Anywhere from a 32" down to a 6" top although I try not to cut many small trees but if they have to go and are straight enough I will save out a log. I have never kept track but my guess most wood I cut is between 24 and 12" top.  8' through 16' lengths  in 2 ft increments.

ehp

I pay more than that for standing white pine here , normal price is $375 to $500 standing , the longer straight stuff the higher the price

GAB

Quote from: ehp on February 07, 2018, 10:17:51 PM
I pay more than that for standing white pine here , normal price is $375 to $500 standing , the longer straight stuff the higher the price

I'm thinking you are talking Canadian currency where as the others are talking American currency.
$375 to $500 Canadian is roughly $300 to $400 US.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

SwampDonkey

In my area it is not really managed for because of weevil and rust. Most 'residual' stuff is scattered and poor form. The good stuff is mostly gone or too sparse to get excited over. But Irving is the market here. Around $410/mbfm with 10" top min, <1" knots, 40" but maximum and 16-6' only, no rot. I noticed at Lowes a nice 12' pine board is about US$30. ;) Personally, I'd never sell a nice pine log for less than $600/mbfm. It's a long lived tree, so I don't have to worry over it having a sudden death except by wind or saw. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dobie

White pine like any other species will have a price determined by grade or a mill who might have a good market for them.  About 10 years ago on a tract we had in Clarion, Pa my forester was able to get us .80 cents/ft for around 12,000 ft of very nice white pine at the landing when our state timber market report had it at .18 cents.   Don't run into those situations very often but it happens.

Anecdotal story but it might give you something to think about. 

JesseA

Local yard rates are as follows
Select :  $500 mbf. 14" top 3 clear faces 1/2 knot no pencil rot no seams 12'6" to 16'6"
#1.    : $310 8" to 2" black knots 4" red knots no pencil rot seams deducted 10'6" to 16'6"
#2.    : $200  8" top sound red knots to 4" black knots to 2 "
Pallet. : $125. 8" top  6" knots must be sound

International scale, US dollars, the local finish board mill pays a little more for everything but pallet. I've been keeping pallet wood for sawmilling for myself because I don't see a point in hauling a log that'll pay 14$

Maine logger88

Are you selling to ED Bessey in Waldo?

JesseA

Yup.  I took Two loads of poplar over there.  For the money, the extra time spent taking pine to Robbins is worth it for me.
I'd have posted how Robbins pays but I can't find that sheet right now.

Maine logger88

10-4 I sell pretty much all my pine to Robbins as well. When I have hardwood logs or a mixed load I sell to Bessey

ehp

$700 to $825 /1000 for 26 ft to 32 foot white pine for timbers . 16 inch top . $600/1000 pretty much for the rest . I get very little 10 inch top stuff and most pine we cut is 30 inch and bigger on stump and average around 1000 feet a tree or more

Maine logger88

It sounds like it is quite a lot more profitable to be in the wood business there than here I think the mills here would close up before they would pay 600 a thousand lol

SwampDonkey

Irving would, but they don't need private wood bad enough.  ;D :D

ehp, next time you go to Home Depot, see whose name is on that pine. ;D

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/search.html?q=irving#!q=irving
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Southside

For comparison SYP pays a whole $200 / MBF for #1 around here.  Pine is a great way to become a millionaire - just start with $2 million and before long you will be a millionaire. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

David-L

Quote from: Maine logger88 on February 11, 2018, 09:11:50 PM
It sounds like it is quite a lot more profitable to be in the wood business there than here I think the mills here would close up before they would pay 600 a thousand lol
Ya, but Pine prices haven't changed in decades around here, but the expense to put it on the landing has gone up considerably. The mills always win, they either get you with scale or grade. Just go to the lumber yard and buy a pine board and that tells me that pine is making someone other than me $. Everyone says it adds up quick though and that may be but it still takes the same amount of input to drag out. I stopped cutting it a month ago as I lost 1mbf in scale in to trailer loads. Must be the mill was getting full. lol. I think if I could get a straight through price of 400 to 500 I would love cutting Pine and be able to pay the landowner what they should be really getting in fairness.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

petefrom bearswamp

I can get it for 300 doyle log run delivered when it is available but it is not common here
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!