iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

john deere 648 e

Started by barniescamp, March 13, 2015, 10:46:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barniescamp

Just a question maybe someone knows on here, on the axles of my john deere 648e grapple skidder there are grease zerks (nipples) at the axle ends, how much grease is supposed to go into these zerks ???? would just like to know if theres a specific amount that should be put in or just a couple pumps of the grease gun each grease period. My 540e had them also so i presume all the john deere skidders have em.

BargeMonkey

:D  3 or 4 whole tubes every 8hr shift.  :D   5-6 pumps max is what i put in my 440D every 10-12hrs, do not over grease those bearing or you will blow the seal out and be pulling an axle down.

teakwood

Thats way to much! I put 3 pumps every week (shafts and pivot 1-2 pump every week) That grease wont go anyway on this bearing as it turns very slowly. you just fill up the axle housing with grease or blow out the seal if you put too much in it. On my excavator i grease daily because the pins and bushings work very hard, but just 2pumps per nipple. people tend to overgrease stuff. put 5 to 6 pumps in the universal joints on a fast spinning winch shaft and that grease will fly all over you skidder. nasty
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

snowstorm

my valmet has a jd axle on front i grease it every 50hr or so. on the old 440 a and b the tek manual said grease it until grease appears

BargeMonkey

Ive always went with 4-5 pumps every other time i grease the centers and with almost 12k hours i havent lost a seal yet.

Oliver05262

Probably all the answers are correct in some way. The inner bearings on the axles are in oil, and there is a seal just outboard of them that keeps the oil inside. The outer axle bearings are grease lubed. They are usually packed when installed, and then regular greasing replaces the small amount that gets squeezed out, and also helps form a dam that keeps water from entering. That's the grease that you'll see on the outside. Some more of the extra just puddles in the tube.
  Farm tractors came with a plug in that location that was to be replaced by a fitting and greased at some long forgotten interval. I've worked on 40 year old 3020 and 4020's that have never had that plug taken out!! Others have got a peck of grease put in them over the years with no apparent damage.
  The big problem on JD farm tractors is bale twine, especially long pieces from round bales, getting wound around the axle and destroying the outer seal. To an extent, tall grasses can do this too. It's not usually a problem in the woods, and skidders have a little more outboard protection for the seal. Once water can enter, dirt and rust can wreck the outer bearing.   
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

kiko

My  service literature calls for 4 pumps every 8 hours of operation in mud and water and 4 pumps every 50 hours absent heavy mud and water.

teakwood

National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Thank You Sponsors!