iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Vintage Stove- Not quite food

Started by VooDooChikin04, August 16, 2020, 04:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VooDooChikin04

So with the sawmill project on hold till cooler weather, and getting married a few weeks ago I have been absent from the forums.  However I wanted to share the current project!

I decided I have had enough with cooking on an electric range and started the hunt for a high end gas range like viking, wolf, bluestar.  I somehow got on the topic of vintage stoves when I was doing my research and fell in love with the Chambers gas range.  It reminds me of an era past, of quality built to last, of beauty mixed with ingenuity.  I scoured craigslist in a 500 mile radius of my home and after a few days, I found the one that would come home.

a 1940's (thinking 46) model B15.  White with chrome. Will match the rest of my kitchen.

My plans are to just get basic cleaning done, grease the valves, and make sure its in working order and then later thing about a full restoration.   If you have never heard of these stoves and are interested, look them up!!  First 3 photos are the sale ad and the last is it packed into my Tahoe where it sits now, awaiting help to unload this 465lb beast.

moosehunter

"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

VooDooChikin04

37-1/2" wide.  About 29" deep and 55" tall with the back splash

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

K-Guy

Very nice!!

When you restore check for what safeties it has versus new ones and upgrade it. I'd hate to hear it burnt your house down.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

thecfarm

Insurance? Some of that old stuff will cancel it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

VooDooChikin04

The only real safety feature is automatic gas valve if the pilots go out. To which it can be retro fitted.  There's a large community for these particular stoves, kind of like this place, so I'm in good hands there as well :).  This stove was in use by the original owner up until 3 years ago. And it's so very simple in operation, about like a propane grill would be. 

Had considered just match lighting instead of pilots. 

lxskllr

I have a newer range(from the 60s), and I don't use pilot lights. I didn't like the heat they created in the summer. It isn't a huge amount, but I could feel it hit my face when I walked in the kitchen. I use a piezoelectric lighter without fluid. Just spark it over the gas, and it works pretty well.

VooDooChikin04

lxskllr

Geez, I don't even know. It came with the house. Nothing fancy. It's a separate counter cooktop, with the oven on another wall. I've had a burner shut off for years now cause I need to fix a joint that was leaking gas, and I never get to it. For awhile it was me and my daughter, and now just me, so the burner isn't a priority. It holds my cast iron pan, when I'm using my favorite burner for something else  :^D

Thank You Sponsors!