iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chicken Feet

Started by DanG, October 09, 2008, 02:29:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohsoloco

Geez, we finally have a board dedicated to food and the only thing being discussed is chicken feet!   :-\  :D

Tom

Well, to get a firm foundation, you need to start on the bottom.  :D :D

CLL

Have been to a couple of big chinese places to eat, and they had chicken feet(fried) on the buffet. Lots of chewing, not much meat. At their worse, their better than chitlins, especially boiled ones.
Too much work-not enough pay.

Mooseherder

I ran across some Chicken Feet and thought you aught to know the market is up on price to 2.49 lb ::)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfX5eSkiMeM

beenthere

Great...and the video next to this one shows two people eating the chicken feet...called Chicken Feet 101.  Quite a lesson.  ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tom

I never really considered a chicken foot as having fingers.   :D

WDH

I never thought fingers looked like chicken feet :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tom

One of my boys is 36 and still calls fingers, Thingers.  :D

thecfarm

I have never seen chicken feet for sale here in Maine.They make be at certain markets,like small meat stores or Asian markets but not at the big box ones.I think selling grits here in Maine is bad enough.   :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

flip

I have seen what my chickens stand in and on all day, I have also witnessed what comes out of them.  I can tell you unequivically there is no way, no matter how hungry I was that I would ever think of cleaning and consuming chicken feet<insert pukey smiley>  Fried livers or gizzards is a completely different story though.
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

DanG

I've been asking around, and can't seem to find out how, or by whom the chicken feet are being used.  All I know is, they were only available at one local meat market for about 39ยข/lb just a couple of years ago.  Suddenly, they're in all the stores, including Walmart, and have eclipsed breasts in price. ???  The only thing I can figure is that the Hispanics are buying them, but whoever it is is( ;D) scarfing them up by the truckload.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Mooseherder

The Chicken foots are going to Asian Markets oversees DanG.
This is what the folks who pack our chicken told me.
Maybe one in 20 of our Stores is carrying them down here and I have seen them at Walmart also.  The rest would just be throwing them away because they don't sell that good.

CHARLIE

Here ya go 8)

DanG CHICKEN FEET STEW   

2 lb. chicken feet
5 potatoes, cut in eighths
4 onions, quartered
1 c. green beans
1 clove garlic, minced
Salt and pepper

Cut nails and wash feet. Place in stockpot. Cover with water. Add potatoes, onions, carrots, green beans, bay leaf, garlic, salt and pepper to season. Simmer until tender. Remove bay leaf before serving. 6 to 8 servings.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

CHARLIE

DanG's CHICKEN FEET SOUP

Chicken Foot Soup Ingredients
2 Pkg chicken feet,  Flour, for thickening liquid 
2 Chicken breast, boned,  4 Carrots, peel, cut into 
1 Chicken bouillion cube  Oil, for saute 
2 qt Water for boiling  Salt/pepper to taste 
1 Small onion, peeled,  1 ts Dried oregano 
1 Garlic cloves, minced  1 ts Dried Rosemary 
Green onions, chopped,  Dry white wine... a cup 

Instructions for Chicken Foot Soup
Directions: Wash them chickens feet... scrub between toes... remove "toe-jam". Rinse in clear water. Wash and de-fat chicken breasts... remove skin and bones. Cut into small pieces. Pat dry with paper towels, and saute in hot oil or butter for a few minutes. Add vegetables... and spices...saute a few minutes more. Stir, make onions soft but not browned. Add a little wine, cook over low heat for a few minutes while you drink a cup of the wine and some of the liquid evaporates... oh, yeah... do not cover skillet. Boil water... add bouillion and dissolve (the bouillion). Throw in the whole mess from the skillet, all meat and vegetables... toss in the feet... bring to a boil and then simmer until the chicken is cooked and tender. Have another cup of wine. NOW... in a clean skillet... heat some oil... add some flour, equal measure... maybe 1/4 cup, each... over moderate heat, make a "roux"... browning the flour/oil mixture, but do not burn... add to the soup. Cook the whole thing until slightly thickened... remove from heat... add the rest of the wine...heh...heh... cover... let set a few minutes... and serve with cooked rice (maybe add cooked rice to the soup... or seperately)... Open a second bottle of wine to serve with the soup...
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

DanG

Now let me get this straight.  You're telling me that the Asian markets overseas are buying their chicken feet from the Piggly Wiggly in Quincy, Fla? :D  I ain't seen the first Asian person in there yet, but they can't seem to keep those things in the case.  I was in there the other morning and there must have been 50 2 pound packages in the case.  I had to stop back in that afternoon for some stuff I forgot, and over half of them were gone at $2.19 per pound.  They've been upping the price regularly, and they keep on buying them. ???

:D :D :D  Charlie, PM me your address and I'll ship you six pounds of  feets so you can try those recipes out. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

CHARLIE

DanG, I can give you my Jacksonville address if you'd like.  ;D

I hear one of those fast food places is using chicken feet to make their burgers.

I wonder how they'd taste if they were fried up real crisp like. ::)
Charlie

DanG

Probbly taste like chicken. ;D :D

I'll check with your Jacksonville office and see if they have an address for ya.  Wouldn't want those tasty morsels spending too much time on the road.

Mooseherder

Quote from: DanG on January 23, 2009, 12:10:03 AM
Now let me get this straight.  You're telling me that the Asian markets overseas are buying their chicken feet from the Piggly Wiggly in Quincy, Fla? :D  I ain't seen the first Asian person in there yet, but they can't seem to keep those things in the case.  I was in there the other morning and there must have been 50 2 pound packages in the case.  I had to stop back in that afternoon for some stuff I forgot, and over half of them were gone at $2.19 per pound.  They've been upping the price regularly, and they keep on buying them. ???

Naw, I suspect your neighbors are buying those. :D
What I was saying is the processors sell them to Asian Markets.  There are only a few major players.  Pilgrim's Pride, Tyson, Perdue and Sanderson Farms.  Most regional Chicken producers got bought out by these 4.
The folks at Pilgrims Pride bought out GoldKist who bought out Golden Poultry who bought out Young and Tender. ;D  (I know the people from this lineage).
The other Big 3 most likely did the same Gobbling up of companies.
We just sell a whole lot more Breasts, Wings and Legs in this country and the Feet gotta go somewhere else.

Dan_Shade

i butchered a mess of chickens once, and I saved all of the feet with intentions of making soup out of them.  when you scald the bird, the skin will slip off of the foot, taking the nail with it.

however, I never got that far, and I got out of the meat bird business....

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Fla._Deadheader

Down here, to make Gelatin, you buy thin plastic pkgs of a transparent sheet of ??? Whatever ???  It is added to the bowl of hot water, powdered gelatin mix. It is supposed to thicken the water into Jello ??? It usually lays in the bottom of the bowl, and comes out as "thick" jello ??? Never did that in the States.

Howsomever, my Spanish Bride tells me, the people here make sopa (soup) and add chikin feet, and the kids eat the meat off the bones, like eatin the legs. It also releases the Cartilage from the feet and thickens the sopa, and it's considered "GOOD EATIN". ???  Also is supposedly good for joint repairs of the worn cartilage.

NOT in MY house, it isn't  ::) ::) ::) :) :)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

ohsoloco

Chicken feet selling for more than the breasts  ???  ::)  Can I get these people to market some of my lumber for me?   :D

WDH

I saw a program on the Travel channel where a guy goes around and eats weird (and sometimes disgusting) foods all over the world.  Somewhere in the East (and I don't mean Maryland ;D), he was served rooster combs.  You know, that is the red waffly thing on top of their head.  I think that I would rather chew on the feet than eat their topknot.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

beenthere

I was telling Burlkraft about this chicken feet/foot eating video..
Maybe calling them fingers is the trick  ::)
If it can be made to look good, this might be it... ::) ::) ::)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBZe-1MGP7I&eurl=https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,33560.20.html&feature=player_embedded
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tom_in_Mo.

Guess I need to get out more. I grew up as a hillbilly in Mo. and the thoughts of such a thing just makes me shutter. :-X :-\ :-\ Chicken breast, legs, thighs,wings is it...... what is next? cooking the chicken without cleaning it?... yuck!! Whats this country coming too, well... guess I had better not even go there......... I can see chittlings coming down the pike :D :D

Tom

Quote from: CHARLIE on January 23, 2009, 12:17:52 AM
DanG, I can give you my Jacksonville address if you'd like.  ;D

I just saw this comment, you little warp-headed, pigeon toed, hangnail...... #$%^&  and %^&*()
You instigatin' skeeter beak....   >:(   :-*

:D

Thank You Sponsors!