iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Smoke House Build

Started by campfire courage, January 11, 2014, 12:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

campfire courage

I'm new to the Forestry Forum, I've made a few posts and thank everyone for helping me feel welcome. I'm an active outdoors writer, always working on a project. I own a WoodMizer LT 30 and enjoy wood in all its greatness. I was excited to post on the forum and have had some issues with images and spent most of today working a way out to get images in place. Thank you for your help and patience, hope you enjoy my project.

The process begins with a few Hemlock logs, placing them on the WoodMizer mill and making the proper size lumber for the build.   

Next I dug a trench about 14 feet long and buried the 8 inch pipe with a draft control at the top just after the 90 degree angle.

Moving on the pipe was insulated with sawdust from the mill and covered with dirt.

Next the area was leveled and a rough stone foundation was laid up, then the wooden base was built and the beging of the smokehouse structure. Most of the wood is quite thick, real 4x4, 2x4 and 2x24 inch lumber for the floor and base structure.

Another image of the base and flooring.

Now the framing is started, 2x4 studs and header.

More Hemlock logs for the structure, you would be surprised how many logs it takes to build a structure.

Milled boards for the siding, the building process continues.

The siding and roof are placed and nailed, make sure the walls are square before the siding is put in place.

Framed out the door, placed the hinges and bolted up a lock.

Next a 55 gallon barrel was used for the firebox, I cut a feed door out of the top and welded hinges and a lock to the front and cut the draft pipe into the back. Placed the firebox in the hole and covered it with gravel. Used an old wood burner grate inside to help protect he barrel and give the fire a better draft.   

The Firebox in place and first fire inside.

Time to hang some bacon and some Kielbasa inside,

Kielbasa,

Finished Smoke House.       

Temp Gauge and meat thermometer.

Finished Product.

Wood is my life, Saw it, drag it, mill it, burn it, build with it, cook with it, heat with it.

WoodMizer LT 30, Kabota 3940, Log Arch, Stihl saws.

beenthere

Campfire
Put your pic in the post so we can see it (like you see in other posts).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

campfire courage

If I knew how to do right I would. I had asked someone earlier and they said this was type of post ok, I'll just delete it.
Wood is my life, Saw it, drag it, mill it, burn it, build with it, cook with it, heat with it.

LeeB

Nothing wrong with your post, we just would like to see the pictures in the post. you figured out how to get htem in the gallery. Getting them in the post is easy from there. Right under the box where you type in your post is a bar that says "click here to add Photos to post". Click on that, go to your gallery, click on a photo, scroll down and find where it says add to post and you've done it.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Shotgun

Campfire,  Don't delete the post, just edit it.  Take out the link to your gallery and put the pictures in that same post with some descriptions.  You're doing well, and once you learn the technique, you're good.

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Alcranb

Campfire, trust me if I can do it you can too lol! Takes a little patience but...
Anyhow welcome and btw that meat looks awesome!!
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.  So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  (Mark Twain)

campfire courage

I've spent all morning trying to make the post and I'm having problems. I belong to a few forums and never have had this much trouble posting pics.  I keep getting an error that I don't have permission to post. I tried to delete the post and can't also.     

thecfarm

It is diffeant,the picture part,but the pictures will always be here. Very few red X on here.
Posting a picture,than talking about it,with a topic like a smoke house is great. Others members have done a long post about a build that they have down. A couple members have a post about the work they are doing on thier land. These posts are quite old,but they keep updating them every so often. Interesting to see all that. Having a bunch of pictures is good to look at,but without a story on how you got to each picture,don't mean much to me.  :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

campfire
Follow these steps (as you already have done great getting your pics into your gallery).

Go to the post where you want to put the pics and click on the "Modify" button.
Then go to the blue hi-lighted bar below the post window that says "Click here to add Photos to post" and click it.
A new window will pop up, and you have some choices in the menu at the top. Click on "My gallery" where your pics will pop up. Just select and click on the one you want to put in the post.
That pic will get larger (no longer a thumbnail).

Then ( I think the stumbling block in picture posting for most) SCROLL down below that pic and you will see
the choices you have. Click on the one that says "Insert Image in Post".  You will get another window pop up that asks Yes or NO question, and click "Yes".  Your pic will now be in your post.

Always click on "Preview" to make sure it is there. If not, you can retrace your steps to learn why not.

It is much easier to do it than to explain it, but like was said, you have built the smoke house with some clever design and a few words to go with the pics will explain what we are seeing.

Please give it a shot.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DeerMeadowFarm

Awesome smoke house! How do you damper it down for smoking?

campfire courage

DMF, I can regulate the fire by the front door of the fire box increasing or decreasing the draft also in the pipe just before it enters the floor I have a conventional draft control. I've had heat as high as 350 and can run it as low as 80 with no problem. 
Wish I could make everyone happy and post the images WITH descriptions. Spent most of the day working on this.     

thecfarm

This just to help you
This is the start of the SH,4x4

I buried the pipe in the ground

This is the smoking part

I just want to show you it can be done.  :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

campfire courage

Thank you, I'm doing my best, I understand there should be a description, I also understand it can be done. For some reason when I need to browse for the image I'm not able to (the Browse button will not work) so I can't place them in the post. I know it looks like I just don't have any experience with a forum but I'm having issues and if I could have posted the images I would have explained my building progress. I've tried a few things like an unacceptable PDF and a link and posting differnt ways,. I'm sorry for the issues.         

reswire

This forum is toooo full of ideas.  I've got to have one of those!!!  Post some pics when your done.  Looks awesome.
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

beenthere

c courage    ;D  keep that courage.  :)

You shouldn't have to "browse" if you are clicking on the top menu line after clicking the "Click here to add Photos to post".
I think this is the step you may be missing. It is in the menu header at the top, and next to the "Home" tab.
south central Wisconsin

coxy

come on campfire you can do it  :D :) :) :) :) ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)      If I can do it you can do it  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

coxy

thecfarm why did you put the pipe in the ground and why is the drum half covered  there must be method  to your madness  :D :D

campfire courage

Smoke runs up hill, need the smoke house above the firebox, also helps insulate the pipe and when its cold out the pipe and box will cool off rather quickly. I build smokers the way I like them, you can build one anyway you would like.

thecfarm

Now it all makes some sense. Good job on the posting of the build. I use hemlock for most of my buildings too.

Alcranb

Way to go Campfire!  8). You weren't the only one frustrated with their initial picture posting but thecfarm and and beenthere helped me through it too great guys, great forum!!
Nice job on the smokehouse. Reminds me of when I was a kid I had a brainfart and tried to make a smoker out of an old refrigerator. I made a set up similar to yours. My Dad let me have a piece bacon from a pig we had just slaughtered. I made a fire and promptly made leather :( guess I should have used a thermometer :)
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.  So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  (Mark Twain)

coxy

Quote from: campfire courage on January 11, 2014, 06:47:51 PM
Smoke runs up hill, need the smoke house above the firebox, also helps insulate the pipe and when its cold out the pipe and box will cool off rather quickly. I build smokers the way I like them, you can build one anyway you would like.
sorry did not know that was your pics     as far as the pipe in the ground never seen it done that way but its for good reason   I was not saying any thing bad about the smoke house  was just asking why it was done like that

campfire courage

I understand, did not think you were saying anything bad :}  I'm just saying you can build them anyway you like. Some build them above ground and some use an electric heater with wood chips. I meant you can build one any way you desire. Its just a smoke box :} 

coxy

do you just smoke the bacon or cook and smoke at the same time    its making me  digin1 digin_2   and do you have to put smoke in the new house for awhile be for you put anything in it

campfire courage

Bacon is not cooked or at least the way I do it its not cooked, its only done at about 100 degrees for about four hours to get the smoke in it. Then I cook it at a later date when we are having breakfast just like any store bought bacon. 

You don't have to season your smoke house but it helps to burn a new smokehouse for awhile just to get it up and running. 

goose63

Campfire as my granddaddy would say son you gona have a smoke house you got to smoke the h--l out of it first smiley_devil smiley_fireman_hat
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Thank You Sponsors!