iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is it worth it?

Started by hedgerow, November 27, 2023, 12:52:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hedgerow

Stopped at JD the other day to get tractor parts. I keep thinking its time to buy a battery powered chain saw to use in my lift bucket and for small jobs. Priced out a Stihl model 300 16 inch bar $800.00 model 500 battery $380.00. Charger $180.00. Freight $20.00. WOW. $1380.00 for a battery powered saw with only one battery. Could get 261 for $620.00. 

Walnut Beast

The guys that have them seem to be pretty happy with them. Hope to hear more from the guys that have them out there.

sawguy21

I don't understand that either. The only way it makes sense is if the purchaser already has a Stihl rechargeable product and at their prices doesn't want a spare battery or charger but it sounds like bait and switch to me.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

OH logger

My buddy Has a full time 3 crew tree service. I used his huskqvarna top handle cordless chainsaw.  Wow.  Super saw. They love em.  Don't have to pull em to start em all the time and don't have to yell over the noise of em. Not sure of the size though. 
john

Hilltop366

I looked but like you I didn't like the price and I can't recharge it at the camp (no power), they are suppose to cut slightly faster than a 261 but weigh about the same as a 361 and I was looking for something a bit lighter than my 361 so I got the 261.

firefighter ontheside

We have Dewalt battery saws at the fire department and they do well for us when we just need to make a few quick cuts.  If I were going to buy a battery saw that's what I would get.  Even though I love Stihl saws, I can't justify the cost of the Stihl for a few quick cuts.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

charles mann

$1400?? That is what i paid for my 500i with a 25" bar. If you have or plan to have other battery powered product in the near future, or live in an area that is pushing hard to eliminate gas powder ope, then it would be an option to think hard on. But if not planning on more battery or anti gas area, then getting a gas saw of equalish power would be a more viable option. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

hedgerow

I do like Stihl chain saws but for $1380.00 I couldn't hold myself to buy one. With cyber Monday going on there were some deals out there. I have ran Dewalt cordless for years but am slowing switching over to Milwaukee. Found a Milwaukee M18 chain saw model 2727-21HD with a 16 inch bar charger and a 12.0 battery normally $500.00 for $350.00 free shipping and no tax with farm exemption. Seems to have good reviews and I have another 12.0 battery already and a couple of the 6.0 batteries. I think for the first cordless saw this is the way to go for me. I do need to pickup another 261 so both of my firewood helpers have one to run. 

firefighter ontheside

I like Milwaukee tools too, but don't have any cordless ones.  That sounds like a good deal.  I see a Dewalt saw on Amazon for $250 with 12" bar and 5ah battery.  Not a big bar, but I think it would do everything I need from a battary saw.  I have other 5ah batteries also.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

axeman2021

A good way to decide if a battery powered chainsaw will work for you, is to buy one of the Hart brand battery saws sold at Walmart, this give you 90 days to try it and if not happy you just return it.

I have two of them Harts battery saws a 12 inch 20 volt and a 18 inch 40 volt the 12 inch with a 20 volt battery and charger was around $189 the 18 inch with 40 volt battery and charger also a nice hard carrying case was $350.
I really like them both and they do a good job, you can also find a 14 inch Hart also.

OH logger

I just saw today at the hardware Milwaukee now makes a cordless top handle saw too. Never knew that 
john

jhellwig

We have a Milwaukee one at work.  It works good.  Lasts long enough to block up a fallen tree.
Murphy's Law is a pain in my butt.

hedgerow

Quote from: OH logger on November 28, 2023, 07:59:02 PM
I just saw today at the hardware Milwaukee now makes a cordless top handle saw too. Never knew that
I saw them when I was shopping the Milwaukee's saws. If I were the only one that was going to run the saw I would have ordered the top handle. I have a buddy that helps me and he is left handed and won't run a top handle saw. When he has went up in my lift he won't use my top handle gas saw he takes the 261 up in the lift. 

firefighter ontheside

You would think at least someone would make a left handed saw.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

beenthere

For 10% of people ?  Left handers seem to adapt reasonably well to the tools that are "right-hand" tools designed and built for the 90%.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ianab

I'm left handed but have no problems using a regular "sided" chainsaw. I probably wouldn't actually buy a left hand version even if it was available because all the muscle memory is now trained to use a regular saw. 
A LH version would just feel "wrong" when I picked it up, and be awkward to relearn.  ???
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

mudfarmer

used side by side the dewalt and stihl are no comparison to each other. If you need to make a quick(it's not quick) cut once in a blue moon the dewalt is fine, if you are using it to actually trim logs/boards frequently you will thank yourself for the stihl, it cuts like an actual chainsaw (I have not tried the milwaukee or others mentioned)

firefighter ontheside

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Walnut Beast

The 300 is comparable to the 261. In this older video head to head in a log the 300 cut it faster. 

https://youtu.be/rbOFc1DfBvA?si=PH4gz56VLjgOy13b

Skeans1

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on November 29, 2023, 12:01:53 PM
You would think at least someone would make a left handed saw.
They do it's called a full wrap.

longtime lurker

We have a Stihl battery saw in the mill. Docks boards, slabs, every little job... it gets used all day. I'd call it comparable to a 30 cc petrol saw.

What it's not is the tool of choice for docking logs or other heavy work. It'll do it though, but kinda silly to use it for that when you have serious chainsaws about.

I wouldn't make a decision based on workload orprice so much as how many times you expect to "start" the saw a day. That's the real benefit of a battery saw, no need to pull a cord.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Magicman

There would have to be some very real unseen reasons for me to spend double the money for 3 seconds reduction of cutting speed.  It is neat though. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

hedgerow

The new Milwaukee chain saw showed up Friday evening. All good no damage. I though I would get it unboxed charge the battery and try it out Saturday. I was informed by the BOSS {wife} this is going to be a Christmas gift and not to touch it. I guess it will be a few weeks before I get to try it out. 

bannerd

Depends what you'll be doing with it, the 535 gets about a good 1 hour of cutting before a battery change or charge.  If you push the saw then you're looking at 30 minutes of time or less.  Climbed a few trees this year and it wasn't the best saw but it got the job done.  Once we had the stump on the ground I like the 273xp have her and we were gone and on to the next one.  Pretty neat concept but I just wish they lasted all day.

Thank You Sponsors!