iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl MS 311

Started by kenskip1, November 22, 2013, 04:12:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenskip1

I went to my local Stihl dealer yesterday to see if they had a chain for my O41. Of course they did not have what I wanted. However,, they had a used MS 311.I asked about it and was told it had half dozen tanks through it. Besides minor scratches it looked almost new. The dealer gave it about 3 pulls and it started. Sounded a bit lean but this is just my opinion.They are asking $425. Has a 20in BC with a "Green" chain on it.The warranty stands as I was told.My O41 is a good machine but I am 58 years of aged and wanting something a bit newer. Does anyone have this model? I will be using it to cut mainly to cut oak, pecan, and, mesquite for firewood.It is a toss up between this and a Husquvarna 455-460.. Thanks Ken
Stihl The One
Stihl Going Strong
Stihl Looking For The Fountain of Middle Age

turnkey

I have the MS310 bought in the early years of production. It is an outstanding home owner saw.  If it ever breaks I would jump at a 311 in the condition you describe.

Harry K

Ianab

Like Turnkey, I've got an older MS310. They aren't a "professional" grade saw, but they are good. Very relaible, and that's probably the most important thing with a chainsaw. Doesn't matter how good the specs are on paper, if it wont start it's useless.  :D

Ideal as a part time firewood saw. But then so is the Husky 455.

If the slightly used saw is the right price I'd say go for it.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Caloren

Had my 310 for 7 years now and love it. Wore out one bar and a few chains so far [my own fault, cutting out stumps in the dirt  ::) ] with no other problems. Very reliable saw. I run a 24" bar so don't have to bend over so far limbing, at 6'4" it does help!  ;D
Stihl MS 170, Stihl MS 310, Stihl 028 AV Super, and half a dozen other no-accounts! Cat D4 D.

H 2 H

My Dad ran MS 310 in his fire wood business for years

OH about the chain; find a new dealer that will spin you a chain
Brian

Old BROWN eyes strikes again !

"Saw troll speaks with authority about saws has never even touched. Well maybe he touches the pictures in the brochures before he rips on them"

".... guess you need to do more than read specs, and look at pictures !"

thecfarm

Very strange that Stihl dealer did not have a chain.   ::)  I caught that too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

kenskip1

Thanks for the replies.The dealer mentioned is a John Deere dealer. They sell Stihl equipment but have a very limited stock. Mostly have the homeowner safety chains.Personally I will never purchase a "green" chain. To much of a headache.All I have to do now is get the OK from the war department, thanks, Ken
I will have to go to Abilene to get a RS chain.....

http://johnsonimplement.com/index.html
Stihl The One
Stihl Going Strong

turnkey

Quote from: kenskip1 on November 22, 2013, 11:20:30 PM
Thanks for the replies.The dealer mentioned is a John Deere dealer. They sell Stihl equipment but have a very limited stock. Mostly have the homeowner safety chains.Personally I will never purchase a "green" chain. To much of a headache.All I have to do now is get the OK from the war department, thanks, Ken
I will have to go to Abilene to get a RS chain.....

http://johnsonimplement.com/index.html

Same here about the JD dealer.  Mine is just a 1/2 mile down the road, supplies limited (I haven't checked to see if they make up loops), saws are a sideline, service is overpriced (sharpen chain $10 when all others are $7 or lower).  I run 30 miles to the next nearest which is a chainsaw and associated logging equipment dealer.  Very good service, no charge for simple stuff, etc.

Harry K

7sleeper

There is a reason why the 311 isn't in the "Homeowner" but in the "Farmer/SemiPro" category by Stihl. If that is your intended use then go for it if the price is right for you. How long warrenty would you recieve? That would be for me an important criteria. Everything over a year would be fine.
Don't worry about "green" chain. I always find it funny how everyone criticises it as if it couldn't cut a leaf from the tree. It still is Stihl chain! And when properly sharpend will cut without hesitation. If you are unhappy with the extra bumpers then with 2-3 strokes with a file you are ready to be aggressiv again.
The antivibration will be a blessing compared to the 041 if that is the only saw you have known so far. A little weaker but much lighter alternativ would be the 271 that is supposed to be on sale till the end of the year for under 4 bills. As you mentioned age you might also consider taking it at least in you hand as a comparison.

SawTroll

Quote from: 7sleeper on November 23, 2013, 02:27:42 AM
There is a reason why the 311 isn't in the "Homeowner" but in the "Farmer/SemiPro" category by Stihl. ....

Stihl doesn't make any "SemiPro" saws, and the difference between "Homeowner" and "Farmer" basically is the size, not much more.

The power to weight ratio of the 311 is among the worst (if not the worst) on the market, from a major brand - but not everyone care about that....
Information collector.

7sleeper

Quote from: SawTroll on November 23, 2013, 02:43:06 PM
There is a reason why the 311 isn't in the "Homeowner" but in the "Farmer/SemiPro" category by Stihl. ....

Stihl doesn't make any "SemiPro" saws, and the difference between "Homeowner" and "Farmer" basically is the size, not much more.

The power to weight ratio of the 311 is among the worst (if not the worst) on the market, from a major brand - but not everyone care about that....
Same like Husqvarna! But they still call it "Farmer Class"! And if we go by your criteria then I am only aware of Dolmar and Echo producing "different saws for the "farmer class".

H 2 H

Here will go again ST at his finest

If ST would talk about something he knows the internet would be a better place and if he talked about something he knows it would be amazing :)

Anything related to a Stihl product he hates; how can I say this just read many of his post if you haven't I have a ton of his quotes and I would be glad to post them here :)
Brian

"Saw troll speaks with authority about saws has never even touched. Well maybe he touches the pictures in the brochures before he rips on them"

turnkey

<snip>

The antivibration will be a blessing compared to the 041 if that is the only saw you have known so far. A little weaker but much lighter alternativ would be the 271 that is supposed to be on sale till the end of the year for under 4 bills. As you mentioned age you might also consider taking it at least in you hand as a comparison.

LOL. I bought a used 041 many years ago.  About 8 or more years ago I sold it for $100.  I named it "Old Shaky" as I couldn't keep screws in it and it kept breaking the air filter stub.  Replaced it with the 310 which did just about as good a job and much faster.

Harry K

kenskip1

Went and got my RS for my 041. Just stopped buy the local dealer that had the used 311. It was sold.I want to thank "ST" for his negative comments.As someone suggested a 271 I have not seen one at my local dealer.I want a saw that uses a 3/8 chain.Be it a 311, 455,460.As I am getting older I find it easier to sharpen in the field with a 3/8 chain.So I will put the 041 back to work hopefully tomorrow. Go NY Giants!  Thanks Ken
Stihl The One
Stihl Going Strong

7sleeper

Quote from: kenskip1 on November 23, 2013, 06:25:48 PM
Went and got my RS for my 041. Just stopped buy the local dealer that had the used 311. It was sold.I want to thank "ST" for his negative comments.As someone suggested a 271 I have not seen one at my local dealer.I want a saw that uses a 3/8 chain.Be it a 311, 455,460.As I am getting older I find it easier to sharpen in the field with a 3/8 chain.So I will put the 041 back to work hopefully tomorrow. Go NY Giants!  Thanks Ken
Don't know if ST did you a favour. Probably bought it for himself......:D

If you demand regular 3/8 chain the 271 will be ok with a 16 inch bar, 18 will be pushing but 20 won't make you happy. On the other hand you could get a "3/8 picco" = 3/8 hobby = narrow kerf setup with a full chisel "Stihl PS3" chain in 18 inch for the 271 that will make you smile!

Good luck!

cheeves

I have cut a lot of wood with my 310! With a MM, 16" bar, and chisel chain an excellent firewood saw! Like all Stihl's built strong! Taken care of will last you many, many years!!
How can you go wrong?!!!

SawTroll

Quote from: 7sleeper on November 23, 2013, 06:37:11 PM

Don't know if ST did you a favour. Probably bought it for himself......:D

:D I just wanted to warn him about what he was about to do - no hidden agenda!
Information collector.

Daman

The 455 rancher my stepdad has has been a good saw for his use. He doesn't burn wood so it sees only a couple dozen hours a year and it will rip with a 18" bar. Not as fast as a pro saw, but doesn't bring the price either.

kenskip1

Saw Troll and I go a ways back. Funny though STROM is a part of my last name.And yes I have relatives in this area, Ken
Stihl The One
Stihl Going Strong

SawTroll

Quote from: 7sleeper on November 23, 2013, 03:37:45 PM

Same like Husqvarna! But they still call it "Farmer Class"! And if we go by your criteria then I am only aware of Dolmar and Echo producing "different saws for the "farmer class".

The Husky saws with a magnesium case, but no xp designation, are what I would call SemiPro - the current "Rancher" saws are not.  ;)
Information collector.

H 2 H

Here is a quote of what ST posted on another site about Stihl chain saws just the other day

"Obviously a load of ****, but it still will catch some money from uninformed victims on E-bay!"
Brian

martyinmi

Quote from: H 2 H on November 30, 2013, 05:08:32 PM
Here is a quote of what ST posted on another site about Stihl chain saws just the other day

"Obviously a load of ****, but it still will catch some money from uninformed victims on E-bay!"
You dudes need to remember where you're at. :snowball:
Keep in mind that the children of lots of members read posts here-mine included.
And I personally am not too concerned with what is said on other sites.

In conclusion....I don't care for Stihls or Huskys(however, I own a few of each)! ;) :D
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

chet

I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Thank You Sponsors!