iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New West German 044AV

Started by HolmenTree, September 08, 2020, 02:01:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HolmenTree

I found this gem this morning while doing treework for a customer.
Customer brings out from his shed this very low hour early Stihl 044 asking me what it's worth.

He said he bought it over 30 years ago to buck up some delivered birch firewood in his driveway. Used it to only cut for a day his  wood and has sat on his work bench ever since for being too hard to start.
When he bought it the dealer had no 16" ES bar that he wanted so he swapped out the longer ES bar for a 16" Oregon b/c.

It's a 1989 10mm 044AV with about 4 hours of run time. I put some fresh fuel mix in it got it running and runs beautifully.  Idled perfectly on the ground, upside down and sideways.

Sure brung back memories of my old 044.
I don't need another vintage saw so I was honest with him that his saw is highly sought after today and he could easily get back the $500 he paid for it in 1989.

Decisions decisions, what should I do :laugh:

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

lxskllr

What is something like that worth? A saw that old with that little use isn't easy to come by. I'd think $500 would be the low end of the spectrum.

HolmenTree

Quote from: lxskllr on September 08, 2020, 03:36:19 PM
What is something like that worth? A saw that old with that little use isn't easy to come by. I'd think $500 would be the low end of the spectrum.
Yeah that $500 Canadian ($380 US) he paid in 1989 is cheap by todays standards.
But same situation happened to me a few years ago where I bought a never used 1993 272XP from a tree customer for $300 CDN, was able to sell it to $600 but had a hard time selling it. I did sell my old well worn 10mm 044 for $400

JJ

How do you tell how many hours are on a saw?
Do some models have hour meters?

Thanks
       JJ

HolmenTree

I know my customer good and myself running and buying saws for the last 46 years (with a few 10mm 044s from new included) I can tell how many hours this saw has.
Just to feel it's  tight AV suspension, chain brake,  master control and how it starts and runs. Yep it's brand new.

Best hour meter something this new is look at the rings to see how much wear is on the wear indicator marks.

HolmenTree

Quote from: JJ on September 08, 2020, 04:07:33 PM
How do you tell how many hours are on a saw?
Do some models have hour meters?

Thanks
      JJ
Here you go JJ,
Hour meter for original rings.

HolmenTree

The Stihl 044AV was introduced in the winter of 1988/'89. 
In the spring of 1989 Stihl hired me to help plant the seeds of the 044 in the industry.  :)

Real1shepherd

Other than looking at the piston rings on both sides as in Willard's pics.....it's an experience thing.

You can just tell;remaining paint, where the scuffs are, how tight the pieces that move fit....the exhaust muffler itself etc. Could be things broken on it by a n00b, but the telltale signs still remain of its low hrs.

Kevin

HolmenTree

Majority of scuffing this saw owned by a nooby has had is 31 years of being shuffling around inside a packed storage shed. Even got some white house paint dried on the top handle.
When I fired it up this morning it had that "new saw tight feeling". My newest work saw is already 8 years old and it feels loose....rewind,  controls,  av suspension.

I may have to go and put an offer on that saw.  Got a new Stihl 20" ES Lite bar that will look really good on it.

JJ

Thanks, quite humbled.
FF is awesome to be able for dubber to connect with experts..
Love your bike saw build smiley_smash

JJ

Pine Ridge

I bought a new 044 in 1992, sold it to a friend a few years ago, he cuts his winters wood with it then puts it away until the next year. Excellent chainsaws by anyones standards.
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

gspren

I've had my 044 since new but I don't remember what year, it still runs great. When we have a firewood detail at the hunting camp and someone with "another brand" saw gets to use the 044 they often comment on how nice it is, it just feels right.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

hedgerow

Even for $500.00 US money that saw would have followed me home. Tough to find those old lightly used Stihl saws. Most folks that have Stihl commercial saws bought them to use. I got lucky about a year ago and found a nice 660 that had only been used on one tree job to clean up a property and then had been in storage. Its been a great saw. 

Nebraska

I agree with hedgerow even though it's a stihl  ;). That is a rare gem to find.

sawguy21

Anything I find in larger saws has been rode hard and put up wet.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

HolmenTree

It's 1:00 and I'm taking down 4 small jack pine with my new 1989 044AV 8)
Will have to clean off the pine sap for a photo shoot later on  :)

Tacotodd

If I could only have that kind of thing happen to me. That's what happens with "right time in right place".
Trying harder everyday.

HolmenTree

Quote from: Tacotodd on September 09, 2020, 02:44:43 PM
If I could only have that kind of thing happen to me. That's what happens with "right time in right place".
Happened to me twice now with the 272XP and this 044. 
I much prefer this 044 then the 4 year old newer heavier and early 1980's design 272XP.
These first year 044's were spec'd at under 13lbs PHO. The weight of a 562XP but feels like it's got twice the power then the Husky. 
044 felt like a old friend working the wood today, all kinds of torque and top end power.  Will have more when the rings seat in.

lxskllr

Looks good with that light bar!

I'm a fan of modern saws. That's all I've used since I only recently got into them. I have zero desire to hunt down vintage saws, but if that dropped in my lap like it did for you, I might have had to take it home too  :^)

HolmenTree

Yes this 20"  Light bar really balances the 044 nicely.
If I was falling timber 5 days a week I would go with a MS462.
But on and off cutting during the day tree service work the 044 fits perfectly.
I work in alot of heat and humidity and it doesn't  bother these older saws.
They just keep going and no hot start issues ever.

HolmenTree

Here's the spec sheet of these first year 10mm 044s in 1989.

Air Lad

Yes there are good feelings to be had when you have something that held it's own 
while the newer/improved models slowly took over(some never got there). It's great to see well kept and fully functioning older gear still doing a good job. 

Pine Ridge

Great looking 044 ! Performance and reliability right there, if you've never ran one of them you have missed out.

HolmenTree

These first series 044s were developed with the best power to weight ratio, but not for a heavy handed end user running a oversized bar and chain on them.

Pine Ridge

Thank You Sponsors!