iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

German pancakes

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, January 07, 2003, 08:10:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

German pancakes

We, The Lovely Miss Celest and I spent New Years Eve with my Cousin Angie and her husband Jeff at their house in Annapolis. It was a small party with close friends. Celest and I slept over to avoid the 45 minute ride home against drunken traffic.

The next morning Angie showed me how to make German Pancakes. Her mother used to make them for us when we were kids and I haven't had them in 30 years! :o

Here's the basic recipe.
Mix:
4 eggs
3.5 tablespoons of flour
about a half-teaspoon of salt
splash of vanilla
sprinkle in some cinnamon.

Pour in a hot oiled or buttered pan and cook like a pancake. They come out looking like something between a crape and a pancake, about 3/16 thick.
After cooking you can butter them and put on some preserves, apple butter or honey.
Roll up and enjoy!
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Don P

I'm gonna try some of those 8). It sounds close to a recipe Michelle uses to make what they call pahhnnakook...I'll never learn to spell Dutch  ::). They're good with whupped cream and those homemade preserves too. I'm partial to butter and dark maple syrup.

Michelle was sick Christmas Eve, I mean bad tummy bug, you know the kind, sittin on the pot with a pot in your lap wishing somebody would just shoot you :(. The nephews had it the week before. Her older Brother and family were coming to our sister in laws house for a few hours on the way through. I just needed to make green and fruit salads and the garlic green beans Michelle makes. After 4 trips to the store my purchases were approved. She had told me the recipe and at one point made it to the kitchen just after I had minced the garlic...Hoop and down the hall she went :-/. Leaving me to use my best Julia Child voice and exercise my fine culinary skills...was it 2 teaspoons of salt or 2 tablespoons? Ah what the heck the more the merrier.
Me and the guys thought it was right good having been on those salt deficient diets, I noticed the girls didn't go back for seconds. We were having leftovers a day or two later and Michelle was better, she bit into my fine beans and said "just how much salt DID you put in these things?" :-[
I should be safely out of the kitchen for awhile again ;D

Bibbyman

Jon,  will you be adding you pancake recipe to the Knowledage Base under Foods ?   :P
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Weekend_Sawyer

I hadn't thought of it Mr Bibbyman but I will try.

I also like to wear overalls when I work outside, keeps me from pulling up my pants so much, I'm 6' 1" 260lbs. I am also Mama's littlest boy, anyway ,my nieces asked me
why don't you button those side buttons?
I say caus I can't.
They say, then what are they there for?
I say to remind me to go on a diet :D
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

WV_hillbilly

I'm resemble that remark Weekend_ Sawyer about the side buttons. Cause  I'm 6' 3" at 280.  I will try out that recipe this weekend. It sounds like my kind of eatin.

Hillbilly
Hillbilly

ADfields

I have had german pancakes all my life. 8) 8)   Had to teach the wife how it's done and she loves them and makes them most saterdays.   My Grandpa on Mom's side was moved hear from the fatherland in 1902 and then served in WW1 in the US army, I always felt that would have made it very hard to pull the triger.   Well back to the german pancakes, our pased down recipe has no  vanilla or cinnamon in it but the other stuff is just the same.   I put in vanilla and have for years but I get picked on for it by the rest of the famley, never tryed cinnamon so I will give that a shot now.  

We serve them 2 ways.   First is put a pat of butter (REAL BUTTER) on it and roll it up with the butter inside, put 3 or 4 on a plate with syrup over them. 8)   2nd is rolled up with just a bit of powdered suger inside. 8)
Andy

Norm

Thanks for bring back some memories for me weekend-sawyer, my Grandma use to make those when we were kids. She was the typical German Grandma that you think of, big and plump but very stern when we were bad. She also made the best sugar cookies and would let us have tea and cookies when we were little, lots of cream and sugar in the tea and then dip the cookies. Boy just typing this makes my stomache growl.

Thank You Sponsors!