iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My dragline

Started by Menagerie-Manor, August 27, 2022, 09:28:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Menagerie-Manor

Trying to clear an area that not safe for the tractor so I set up a an old boat hoist on a timber and strapped it to a tree. can pretty much drag anything up the slope within 85 feet of the snatch block.

If you come to a fork in the road take it.....

Woodland Mills HM126
Yanmar YM2310D
Stihl 031AV
Stihl MS251

B.C.C. Lapp

Neat. I'd like to see that in action.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

Walnut Beast

If you really want some more ideas 💡. Get a chain like this 😂. This is a chain that is 320 feet long pulled by a D9 and D 10 and it puts all the trees on the ground 😂

DMcCoy

I read something just yesterday about the efficiency of a cable pull system for pulling a field plow. More power put to moving the implement vs. moving the implement and the the tractor. So, less power is needed.
Good idea!  Do you use a remote control?

thecfarm

walnut beast, who's the chain hooker?  :o
Now that's a chain!!! 
Long too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bigblockyeti

Quote from: DMcCoy on August 30, 2022, 08:07:45 AM
I read something just yesterday about the efficiency of a cable pull system for pulling a field plow. More power put to moving the implement vs. moving the implement and the the tractor. So, less power is needed.
Good idea!  Do you use a remote control?
The same thing applies to wakeboarding.  For the many that don't have $120K to drop on a wake boat, there's high speed winches with most only being 6.5-9hp using a go cart type variable pulley drive, they offer more pull initially then more speed after the rider is on plane.  This is a fraction of the 350-500hp required for the boat and the boarder to experience similar acceleration together.
I'm working on a donkey engine of sorts to pull logs out of the woods.  It's conceptual so far but my design parameters are a maximum pull speed of 5ft/sec and a maximum pull of 20000lbs and at least 500' of cable.  A variable speed drive from a gas engine (probably like that from a go-kart) is on the list as is a multi speed transmission. The whole package needs to be self contained and self mobile as pushing it like a wheelbarrow would be unpleasant with 500' of cable that has a working load limit of at least 20000lbs. 

TW

Very interresting.

Wik&Höglund (local logging business) used such a machine in the 50-ies. The old men said it was an air cooled single cylinder Bernard engine. I didn't ask whether it was the 4 hp or 8 hp variety. It powered a winch drum through a friction clutch and some gearing. The whole unit was mounted on a very sturdy welded mild steel toboggan.
It could be hauled into the woods behind any farm tractor. (at the time that meant Grey Fergy or Fordson Major or Volvo T24 or the like). It could be transported so some island aboard an ordinary fishing boat. Once there they just pulled ut the wire rope and fastened to a tree and then the winch dragged itself through the woods. When they had it where they wanted it they anchored it to a tree or a stump and started working.

Please post pictures of your build when you start it!

Thank You Sponsors!