iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Those sentimental logs ????

Started by DR_Buck, April 24, 2005, 10:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR_Buck

Yesterday I Finlay had my chance to saw one of those "sentimental logs" I've heard others on the forum talk about.   It all started a few weeks back when I got a call from a guy that wanted 1 log sawed into boards.   He told me it was a small ceder (ERC) from his grandfathers farm.  He lives in Washington DC.  Turns out DC is one of the places that I will not take the mill for any amount of money.  ::)  So I told him if he could get it to me I would saw it for him. 

Well he showed up yesterday with 3 8 foot pieces of red ceder all from the same tree.   The biggest was smaller than most of the ceder I use for fence posts.   :D :D  The large end was 7" DIB!  :D   

After hearing the whole story about how this tree came from granddad's farm..... and now the farm is gone..... and he's been keeping the tree in his basement for the last few years.... and he wants to make a table or something from it,    I took it as a personal challenge to see what I could recover from this "fence post".    ;D

I worked to save every bit I could.  I even got a couple 8/4 pieces to make legs with. It was tough clamping and cutting 4/4 stock out of the 4" diameter piece, but I still managed to recover close to 30 bd foot for him.   smiley_roller
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

TN_man

Those kind of situations are a challenge, but I am sure he appreciates your efforts. ;)
WM LT-20 solar-kiln Case 885 4x4 w/ front end loader  80 acre farm  little time or money

Tom

Good Show! You're a hero.  You can't measure that kind of service with money.  Both you and he will appreciate it as time goes on. :)

Rockn H

I done got a warm fuzzy feeling just reading about it. ;D :D ;D :D
                               8) 8) 8)

Ironwood

What did you use to load that beastie on the mill? CAT? forklift? whew must have been rough! REID
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

slowzuki

Hmm, I've got a bunch of 7" dia butt eastern white cedar to saw for siding, this should be fun!

Fla._Deadheader

Gonna make " Double 4 " siding.  ::) ::) ??? ;)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Thank You Sponsors!