iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spencer logging tapes

Started by Nate379, November 28, 2014, 08:06:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nate379

I have the repair sections as well as the rivets on order, but being told that the rivets take a special tool?

Is it possible to install without that tool?

mad murdock

Just about any river can be set with a hammer and a punch. Another tool I use a lot is the lever-jaw pliers that knipex makes. They work real good for setting rivets.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

thenorthman

peice of heavy ish metal and a hammer, about all a rivet setter is anyway, if you want it to be all cool and rounded off use the peen side of a ball peen hammer and round it off a bit.

On a side note the refills are not terribly expensive and they last longer then the stick on ends, Last I checked a refill on a 75' tape was like $17 on a 50' it was like $10 the replaceable ends are like $9?
well that didn't work

David-L

Those rivets for the ends are very wimpy, dont' hit them hard or they will disappear on you. yes, you can ask how I know this!!!
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

redprospector

Quote from: Nate379 on November 28, 2014, 08:06:05 AM
I have the repair sections as well as the rivets on order, but being told that the rivets take a special tool?

Is it possible to install without that tool?
I've never tried setting the rivets without the tool, they are so tiny I think it would be a pain. I've had one of the tools forever, the first one I had was made of metal, the newer ones are plastic, but they seem to hold up well. The tool will also punch the little tiny holes in the tape for the rivets to go in.
The thing you have to be careful of is getting the tape spliced where it still measures right.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Nate379

I have 10 or 12 of them to fix, they are all metal.  I found 4 new metal tapes for them today while looking for something else.

What I don't get is Bailey's sells all the parts, but not the tool.  I sent them a message a few days ago to see if they can get the tool and haven't heard back yet.

FarmingSawyer

Anyone come up with a better fix for the thin bar the swivel hook hangs from? The DanG screws keep backing out and the other day I lost the whole tape completely down the inside of my chaps. I had to do a deep woods fix using a piece of copper wire I luckily had in the ammo box I keep files and such in.

Anyone found anything better than the common bent nail thingy for the end that works in frozen or soft logs? Trying to measure up a swack of cedar the other day....both the pulpy bits and the frozen were giving me fits........
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

thenorthman

Quote from: FarmingSawyer on November 29, 2014, 08:47:58 AM
Anyone come up with a better fix for the thin bar the swivel hook hangs from? The DanG screws keep backing out and the other day I lost the whole tape completely down the inside of my chaps. I had to do a deep woods fix using a piece of copper wire I luckily had in the ammo box I keep files and such in.

Anyone found anything better than the common bent nail thingy for the end that works in frozen or soft logs? Trying to measure up a swack of cedar the other day....both the pulpy bits and the frozen were giving me fits........

For the clip put some blue locktite on the screws it should help, just remember ya need to be able to loosen them to replace the tape.

As far as the nail goes, I found some really long shoe nails, don't know what number they are, but they are like an inch longer then the regular nail, sharpen the end up with a flat file and it seems to help on frozen wood.
well that didn't work

Skidder Kev

Just wondering if anyone can help me,  I have a specer tape that im trying to put the refill in, I had the old one out and the spool locked in place and the new one in and went to wind it up and the end broke and the spring came unwound.  now how do I get it wind back up???? 

redprospector

Quote from: kculler on January 31, 2015, 01:20:43 PM
Just wondering if anyone can help me,  I have a specer tape that im trying to put the refill in, I had the old one out and the spool locked in place and the new one in and went to wind it up and the end broke and the spring came unwound.  now how do I get it wind back up????

Loosen all of the little screws around the outside ring on the blue side of the tape and turn the blue side clock wise until it's wound up. I do it with the tape hooked to the spool so I can get the tension that I want on the spring. Not too wimpy on the rewind, but still able to measure the full length of the tape.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Spartan

I got sick of repairing them and went with a Husky tape.  It has been hands down more reliable, although a little pricier initially.

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/accessories/chainsaw-accessories/measuring-tape/

Skidder Kev

Thanks for the help red.   I tried the turning thing but nothing happened so I said screw it and took the blue cover off.  what I guess happened was that when the spring unspooled it came off the collar that winds it up,  I had to bend it abit to stay on but it seems to work.  Thanks again.

Kev

ST Ranch

A bent horse shoe nail works well for the end hook in winter.  Bend it double at the 1/3 points to look like a number 7 and it gives you a good flat edge to push into the log.  [ and Yes I realize you need to have a horse/farm store nearby to get the nail]
Tom
LT40G28 with mods,  Komatsu D37E crawler,
873 Bobcat with CWS log grapple,

Ed_K

I've made them out of flooring nails.
Ed K

Jhenderson

Tractor supply sells horse shoe nails by the box.

John Woodworth

The tool first punches the hole then sets the rivet, don't know the price today as was many years ago I bought mine, spend the money as I recall it wasn't too bad and makes it so simple, if you have multiple taper it's a necessary, any logging supply should have it, made by Spencer and you  just purchase a little bag of rivets as you need them.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

Jhenderson

I wrap electrical tape around the first 2 feet of tape. Haven't broken a refill there in years.

Thank You Sponsors!