iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rockman Hard hat Logging system type...

Started by Woodhog, April 14, 2009, 02:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhog

Has anyone got one of these hard hats with the vent holes in the top...

The warm weather is coming and I would like to know if you think they are really cooler than
an ordinary plastic hard hat.

https://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=2806FNAD&catID=

Thank you

Adam_MA

The one review that rated it 4/5 stars sure had plenty of bad things to say about it.

ENTS

I've got one.  Got it mainly for the venting.  Guess I'm just a hot head cause it doesn't help me much (I sweat when it's 30 out).  I don't have any problems with it (like the reviewer did).  Ear protection is just fine, the mesh face shield is cheapo plastic tho.  There is a metal replacement for it but you need to ask for it (not even sure Baileys has it).  It is a bit pricey compared to other systems but I believe it's worth it.

Hope this helps.

Fred Henry,  Over Worked, Under Paid

rebocardo

I had thought about getting a hard hat with vents, but, what keeps me from them is many times I have ants, roaches, and spiders running around in my shirt or on my neck after falling from the hard hat. I really don't want them running around inside the helmet instead.

I had a spider get in my ear under the earmuff, I could still feel it crawling around for hours afterwards.  :D

PAFaller

I have one, and I dont know as I would buy it again.  The vent system works great if thats the main thing you are looking for. My complaints are as follows.  THe springs in the screen on mine failed rather quickly, so it wouldn't stay up when i wanted it out of the way. I ended up sliding in a Husky screen, which fits but its loose. Temporary fix really. The other thing is that I thing the earmuffs mounted on wire are more flexible and stand up to abuse better. I had my helmet off to diagnose a machine problem this winter, and in the process it got knocked off our skidders hood. Long story short brittle plastic broke the one muff mount, so it rattles around. Unfortunately the rockman components don't interchange with any other helmet manufacturer so you have to wait on shipping from tennessee or the west coast.
It ain't easy...

gaproperty

Here is a link to a small scale video I posted on my youtube channel. I have a few videos regarding the subject. Hope this helps. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrdLwW8GYiQ&t=25s
Ray
lostcaper.com
youtube.com/c/LostCaper

John Mc

I think you posted that before, GAproperty (though maybe that was one another site?)

At any rate, I'm not sure what the video has to do with the OP's 7 1/2 year old post on hardhats.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

NMFP

I have 2 of the Rockman hardhats.  Simply put, they do the job but I feel a Peltor or a stihl helmet is far superior.  One of the issues I have had with both of mine is that the plastic is very crude, most of the internal pieces had sharp points which had to be filed down or scraped to eliminate the irritation.

I think they are good for doing what they are supposed to do but I would not buy another.

Most of the students which I teach buy either Stihl or peltor helmets as that's what I have and so do the other instructors. 

I think for best options, go somewhere and try one on and see how it fits.  If its uncomfortable brand new, its not going to get any better with wear.

Just my 2 cents!

David-L

I just recieved the premium edition Rockman with the wire screen and the extended visor. I will let you all know after a bit. Had four years on a sthil pro-mark with no issues, they say the plastic gets to brittle after a bit though so thought I would give this rockman a try.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Thank You Sponsors!