iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Okay.... I have a Palin question!

Started by cantcutter, September 05, 2008, 01:33:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toolman

scSmith,

A guy I work with sold his 94 7.3 powerstroke. He bought an 08 F-250 . He can barely get 16 mpg hwy
vs the 22 mpg he got on his old one. I'm hearing these reports constantly. If you have to burn that much more fuel to get cleaner emissions, then how much farther are you really ahead?
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

DanG

What are the soot emission standards based upon, anyway?  If it is the amount of soot produced per gallon of fuel used, we might be backing up. ::)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

underdog

From another Forum.
the euro standard WILL BE 10 ppm but today it IS 50ppm.

50 ppm is the same as 2006 low sulfur diesel. The euros use 50 ppm diesel and it costs less than RUG.

The US uses 15 ppm diesel and it costs substantially more than RUG.

If I had set out to deliberately wreck use of diesels in the US, I don't think I could improve on the effects of ULSD/Tier II. Make the fuel a buck a gallon higher in price than gasline. Require so much equipment that diesel vehicles will cost $10,000 more than equivalent gas pigs. Rob them of their efficiency to the point the diesel cannot get any better MPG than a gas pig. Did I leave anything out?

Oh yeah, I did. Ban diesel sales altogether in California.

Gary_C

underdog, I am not sure what your numbers apply to, is it particle emissions or sulfur?

Just for reference, the ultra low sulfur diesel (USLD) regulations that went into effect in 2006, I think, were a necessary requirement for the clean burning regulations that followed. The problem is that too much sulfur in the exhaust would kill any clean burning equipment installed on diesels.

So now, at least in the US, all new diesel engines including off roadmust meet the new particle emission standards. And yes these new clean burn engines are not more efficient than previous versions. As I understand these new engines, they use a glass/ceramic filter and burn a slight amount of diesel in the exhaust to achieve cleaner exhaust.

I think most of the demand for cleaner exhaust on diesels has come from the large cities where the transit busses belch large clouds of stinky smoke as they pull away from every stop. The cities have even tried perfume to mask that smell and certainly biodiesel has helped but it was still not enough to satisfy the transit riders and pedestrians.   :)

I think that EU countries have adopted the USLD standards but are dragging their feet on the clean burn requirements for right now for obvious reasons.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

scsmith42

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Mooseherder

I bought my diesel April of 2004 when Diesel was 1.79 gallon. :'(
People with Cummins Diesels were getting around 20 miles per gallon before I got it.
Best mine ever got is 13.7.   That is being real gentle with it.
If pulling something on the highway forget it.  It makes me mad thinking about it..
I'm blaming California and the Terminator Swartzeneggar for this. :D

Rocky_J

Mooseherder, that kind of mileage is easily possible but not with the truck in stock form. Replace the exhaust system air intake and put a chip in it and you can get mileage in the low 20s easily. There are some very good diesel truck forums where you can learn more than you'd ever want to know.

Mooseherder

Thanks Rocky,  I was going to wait until the warranty expires which is coming up quick.   I'll start reading now. :P
I heard tell Sarah likes guys with Diesels. :D

Haytrader

Mine is an 05 and it gets 20+ mpg @ 70 mph stock.
Haytrader

Don P

I dare not ask about what kind of mileage he's getting out of this  ;D

Bibbyman

Well, I think we can call this topic successfully hijacked.   ;)

The two young brother farmers dropped by yesterday to check out the fence before putting some heifers in our pasture.  One had some pretty harsh words to say about ethanol (the other went to check out the fence).  He said that fertilizer was a dollar a pound.  They had been doing a lot of row cropping in the area – both to feed their livestock and to sale.   But he said not next year.  They had cropped the 70 acre creek bottom field below our farm but they said it would cost them $30,000.00 just in fertilizer.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Gary_C

Don P, I love that picture. It should be added to the beginning of every political ad on TV.   8)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

underdog

Quote from: Bibbyman on September 14, 2008, 12:54:17 AM
Well, I think we can call this topic successfully hijacked.   ;)

The two young brother farmers dropped by yesterday to check out the fence before putting some heifers in our pasture.  One had some pretty harsh words to say about ethanol (the other went to check out the fence).  He said that fertilizer was a dollar a pound.  They had been doing a lot of row cropping in the area – both to feed their livestock and to sale.   But he said not next year.  They had cropped the 70 acre creek bottom field below our farm but they said it would cost them $30,000.00 just in fertilizer.

What do you mean hijacked --- Fertilizer are expensive ........ Yes
Back to the thread at hand?
http://sky.prohosting.com/chainkb/palin/

cheyenne

A picture is worth a thousand words....Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

Thank You Sponsors!