iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cant hook and peavey storage

Started by davch00, September 10, 2020, 11:10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davch00

For those that have stationary mills, How do you store cant hooks? I'm currently just leaning mine against the wall, or more often on the ground after it gets knocked over. I think I would like to hang them up if possible but haven't came up with a way to do that yet. All of mine are logrites if that helps.

hopm

Mine goes in a sleeve welded on front of mill.

donbj

Mine leans up against the hitch at the front of the mill. It always ends up there so it's easy to grab
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

JoshNZ

If it's hollow, weld a length of round bar or rebar to your frame out of the way? Or if it's not, a piece of pipe to stick the end into.

Dana Stanley

For now my shed is small so I lean them up against a 2x4. when I make a bigger shed, I want to hang them horizontally, like on a gun rack, or just long screws or nails. 
Making Sawdust, boards and signs.
Woodland Mills HM-126
Kabota B-7800 with backhoe and loader
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14", 23 ton log splitter
Matthew 3:10

Stephen1

Peavey sticks in the ground up right. Cant hook is always at my end leaning on the hitch. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Southside

X2 on sticking it in the ground - it has a point so I use it.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WV Sawmiller

I think the MagicMan hauls around a 40' storage container full of his. I heard he injured his leg last year because he opened the door of the container and the load had shifted and several dozen fell out on top of him and they had to get a loader to dig him out. :D :D :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

A man gots to do what a man gots to do.  logrite_cool
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

Hopm - that thing is camouflaged there!!  It's like a sawyers game of "where's Waldo"?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

hopm

Don't really help much but I always wanted to highlight like that...it does make my harbor freight level jump out 😂😂😂😂

Woodpecker52

I just stick mine up with the hook between some rafters and let them hang down, works for me. I made two smaller ones with handles about  3 feet long for small logs and have a couple of medium size ones and one old antique one for the virgin logs.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Roundhouse

When I built my toolshed last year I put in a couple screws that the cant hooks hang from just inside the door. It's tough to see in this photo but there is one screw sticking out about 2" from the wall that the hook part of the cant hook hangs on. A large hook at the top of the wall keeps the used blades in place. On the opposite side of the doorway is the same set-up for new blades with another cant hook hanging in the middle. This keeps them out of the weather and out of the way when I'm not milling. When I am milling they are out leaning against a post under the sawmill shed.

Woodland Mills HM130, 1995 F350 7.3L, 1994 F350 flatbed/crane, 1988 F350 dump, Owatonna 770 rough terrain forklift, 1938 Allis-Chalmers reverse WC tractor loader, 1979 Ford CL340 Skid Steer, 1948 Allis-Chalmers B, 1988 Yamaha Moto-4 200, various chain saws

Magicman

Simple:

Just lean it against a tree or.....

Hang it on da wall.  logrite_cool
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ScottCC

A round steel plate with a pipe weld perpendicular to it in the middle.  Holds it vertical anywhere and easy to roll around with peavy handle to move.
Necessity is the mother of invention.  Poverty is its big brother.  WM mp100, WM eg100, WM sp4000 chip extractor,  WM 260 molder on order ,WM electric  lt15 wide with extra track, 71 Oliver allterrain forklift, 26' flat bed trailer, road legal log arch, homemade kiln, AutoCAD lt15

Gere Flewelling

This is interesting.  All this time I thought they were designed to be leaned against something and fall over so you can trip over them constantly. :D That's how I have always kept track of them.  Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

hopm

And don't forget all the grace and poise of looking at the ground....turning round and round trying to find it 😂😂😂

Redhorseshoe

The little hole in the tractor loader makes a handy storage spot when not in use.  The rest of the time it's leaning against the tool and accessory block.

Walnut Beast

You could drill a hole in your tool block to hold your can't hook in the upright position for quick access 

davch00

Quote from: Gere Flewelling on September 13, 2020, 08:06:47 AM
This is interesting.  All this time I thought they were designed to be leaned against something and fall over so you can trip over them constantly. :D That's how I have always kept track of them.  Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?
This is what I'm trying to avoid!!!
Quote from: Stephen1 on September 11, 2020, 06:36:22 PM
Peavey sticks in the ground up right. Cant hook is always at my end leaning on the hitch.
You must have a better kind of ground than I do.  With the gumbo around here, it will either to dry and you would have to drive it in with a hammer or it will be too wet and won't support the weight of a peavey and said peavey will soon be lying on the ground.    

Thank You Sponsors!